PDA

View Full Version : How to replace the nut ?

om21ed
Feb-26-2004, 11:44am
The nut on my 19 year old Washburn A model broke. So how would I remove the rest of the old nut and what type of glue should I use to attach a new one ? I'm assuming the one I can order from elderly would fit it. It would seem to be a simple operation but is there anything I should be wary of ? This mandolin was a gift from my bride all those years ago and I want to keep it in operation. I'm not handy.

sunburst
Feb-26-2004, 11:58am
There is no garantee and not much chance that a nut that you buy will fit "out of the box".
If you're not handy, you might want to consider taking the mando to a luthier.
This (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/NewNut/newnut1.html) should give you an idea of what's involved.

fatt-dad
Feb-26-2004, 12:27pm
What do you mean by broke? If there is a chip in a slot, you can also try to do a patch. Now a luthier would not do this (and it is not the right thing to do), but that said, you can take super glue, mix it with baking power and fill in the chiped portion of the nut. This will harden to a white solid, that you can reshape and file.

I have used this method to reslot a string grove (like if it was too low or if I didn't like the spacing). However, using a luthier to do it right is much better. Also, if you choose to mess with the super-glue method, put some masking on either side of the nut, so you do not cause more trouble than it's worth.

f-d

om21ed
Feb-26-2004, 6:25pm
Thanks for the info! The nut broke at the 2 E strings clean off down to the wood under the nut. I was hoping that I could get the old one out and just glue in a new one, but since it could involve real science ( I don't have a caliper) and sanding, maybe I better find a professional. But at least now if I ask somebody how they would do it, I'll know whether they are talking about doing it correctly. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

fatt-dad
Feb-26-2004, 8:40pm
I just had a local guy replace my nut, work up the bridge and string change for $100.00. The difference was well worth the cost and my mandolin (flatiron a5-1) plays much better.

om21ed
Feb-27-2004, 10:53pm
well, part of the problem is that this mandolin didn't cost much more than $100 new,so sentiment aside, where does one draw the line--should I put the thing to rest and save the money toward a Hyalite ? I do have a y2k3