PDA

View Full Version : A slight crack on the side by the neck

aneumann01
Oct-10-2013, 9:45pm
As shown in the photo, the light catches a slight crack on the side by the neck. When I bought this mandolin, I took note that there were indented lines under the paint and coat on both sides by the neck. A week ago..one of those indented lines turned into a crack. Shortly after discovering this crack I noticed my girl was a little tough to play so I believe the tension of the strings pulled the neck forward slightly and the end result was higher action which caused a factory repair to go bad and crack? Those lines look like repairs in my mind. I've had this mando for about year now. It still sounds good and the I'm seeing no real problems. I'm not giving this mandolin back. What they give me back won't be the same one and this one is MY mandolin. Besides...I already made her a lefty. I don't wanna another one just to break in all over again. I was wanting to know what seasoned mandolin builders think about this crack? It's not very deep and as I said..it still plays the same. Is this a worry for me? Or a botched repair that is just gonna look bad.

Bill Snyder
Oct-10-2013, 10:23pm
You already stated that it is getting a little tough to play. From what you say I take it that this is a factory instrument. If it is covered under warranty bite the bullet and break another one in.

bmac
Oct-11-2013, 4:47am
That does look like some sort of factory defect which may have been cosmeticly repaired during manufacture. That is a major point of strain on the neck/body joint and there is movement there if only a tiny bit.

I am guessing that your warrenty period is over and if so that is unfortunate because that is cerainly a manufacturer defect, which will almost certainly get worse. And yes, they would likely replace the mando rather than repair it.You likely didn't cause the problem. You don't mention the brand name but I am assuming it is a less expensive pac-rim mando. I just noticed you said "on both sides of the neck"... Gosh, I would take it back if you possibly can. That happened to a guitar I once had and it was fatal. I couldn't afford to have it fixed. That has to be a manufacturers defect and they could't argue with that... I would check with the seller on this... they really should replace itas it is defective.

Timbofood
Oct-11-2013, 3:23pm
If it's been just a year, send it back, looks like headaches coming. Look at it this way, you've had the fun of watching something get a bit of its voice, the next one will be better simply because you are better, vicious cycle I know but, Hey, make the best of it!