PDA

View Full Version : Different Gibson F model eras

Jordan S.
Oct-05-2013, 9:50am
I'm beginning to look around at Gibson F5s. I am considering a new one, but would prefer something that's gently and lovingly used. Would any of you Gibson mandolin experts recommend certain eras of F5s to particularly consider or steer clear of? Just for fun, lets say I've got $10k.

Disclaimer: I realize I'm wading into treacherous waters by asking for possible criticisms of Gibson mandolins. For those of you who are fierce brand loyalists, I apologize in advance. No need to offer a biting defense of Gibson.

William Smith
Oct-05-2013, 10:16am
With 10G you can count on not getting one from the golden era 20's-1930's, some 50's sound good but I'd recommend anything from the "Derrington" era up till now with Harveys creations! Most higher end stuff is good. Or you could get a 40's-50's F-12 and get it converted to old specs or get a 30's F-7 and get a long neck converted for it and bam ya got a killer sounding old sounding F-5 at a fraction of the cost of a real vintage F-5.

Bradley
Oct-05-2013, 10:34am
IMHO, The Post Flood mandolins coming out of Gibson are the best produced in the last 50 years. You wont go wrong there for sure

UsuallyPickin
Oct-05-2013, 10:44am
Get one signed by Carlson , Derrington, Roberts , or Harvey ...Weber , Barnwell and a name or three escapes me...are good mandolins.. just not IMO quite "there" .. that would be late 80's to 93'for Carlson then 200? and on. I can't remember offhand when Mr. Derrington met his fate. As always one instrument will not sound quite like the next one. So you have to play a lot of them or pay some return shipping charges. Be careful around 70's models , there are some good ones but very few. THe 5 large to 10 figure will get you a preimum mandolin. Enjoy the process and don't be in a hurry. ... Luck.. R/

f5loar
Oct-05-2013, 11:51am
Stay far away from the 1970 to 1978 era Gibson F5. Absolutely the undisputed worse years of the Gibson F5 ever made and it's poor quality and sound shall never be equaled again. However they do make pretty wall hangers. :))

Tony Sz
Oct-05-2013, 12:10pm
However they do make pretty wall hangers. ....
Well...except for those Lump Scroll ones.....

f5loar
Oct-05-2013, 3:53pm
However they do make pretty wall hangers. ....
Well...except for those Lump Scroll ones..... He only mentioned the F5 model but since you brought up the Mickey Mouse ear/lump scroll A5/A12 models of the 70's they do make really good emergency paddles for your row boat. :grin:

J.Albert
Oct-05-2013, 4:52pm
[[ Just for fun, lets say I've got $10k. ]]

For that amount of money, you should be searching for a used Master Model.

For $5k, look for a used Sam Bush, or a used F-5L from 2001 - present. Or one of the "signature models", like the Bibey, the Steffey, or the Benson. Throw in $1,000 more, and you might consider one of the Doyle Lawson signature models.

If you want "new", then you'll probably do very well with a current "Harvey-signed Fern", but that'll cost more.

Danny Clark
Oct-05-2013, 5:16pm
i have owned a F-5 from every era ,again 10g is not gonna get you the best one which would be the 20's and from the mid 30's on its downhill ,60's were getting bad ,with a few exceptions ,70 really hit rock bottom ,80,s Montana models were getting back to great sounding instruments ,to me the best i have found have been the Nashville 02-05 models,and i have not played as many as the others but i have been impressed with the Harvey ones to
Danny

almeriastrings
Oct-06-2013, 12:17am
I would rate the current Harvey ones as really outstanding, and the best Gibson has put out for a long, long time. When I got mine, I had it side by side with a MM (from another era) and after going back and forth, the Fern came out on top by quite a margin. Could have bought either, but the Fern called to me. Powerful, rich, clear... I also have a Derrington-signed Fern, and I would have to say the newer, Harvey-signed example is the better of the two to my ears.

Jordan S.
Oct-06-2013, 9:37pm
Is the Gibson F5 Fern a more ornate version of the Gibson F5? Or are their size/design differences?

William Smith
Oct-06-2013, 10:23pm
Well the size is the same just the fern has the fern inlay and some ferns are different like some with varnish finish, Sitka top. Red spruce top, Gibson has customized a bunch of their mandos in the past couple years. Some have bound F holes, different type bursts than the Cremona/tobacco finish etc... Mandolin Store website has had a bunch of strange Ferns/MM, F5-G's and F-9's combinations!

Bernie Daniel
Oct-07-2013, 5:30am
Is the Gibson F5 Fern a more ornate version of the Gibson F5? Or are their size/design differences?

A Fern has a fern in lay on the headstock but it is the same construction as most of the "signature" models (e.g., Lawson, Bibey etc.) and the F-5G, F-9, Goldrush etc -- the step-up "master models" e.g., MM & DMM have red spruce tops, hide glue, and varnish. Lately some signature models have been added to the master model line (Ricky Skaggs and Sam Bush).

I suggest that you read this article (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001217.shtml) written by Roger Siminoff about the ups ans downs of Gibson F-model mandolins.

Jordan S.
Oct-07-2013, 7:45am
I suggest that you read this article (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001217.shtml) written by Roger Siminoff about the ups ans downs of Gibson F-model mandolins.

Excellent article, thanks for pointing it out.