PDA

View Full Version : Too pretty to play?

bjewell
Oct-02-2013, 6:08pm
Okay, it's not a high-end mandolin at all, it's even one of those "Pac-Rim" jobbies. But my varnished Kentucky KM-1000 is soooo beautiful I don't want to play it. I take it out, strum a few licks, admire the sound and the instrument itself and then put away in favor of my humble LM-400.

Is this just me? The thought of strapping this beauty around the scroll gives me a headache... What would happen if it was a Stanley or a Red Diamond or -- heaven forbid -- a Nugget???

(NOTE: just three names of super quality mandolins off the top of my head although I really do want a Stanley mando at some point)

(insert smiley irony face)

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-02-2013, 6:19pm
I am with you on that. I have actually said no to people who are nice enough to hand me their expensive high end mandolin to try, esp at festivals, in fear or damaging it. I can't even fathom owning a Gil or a Nugget.. I'd be constantly worried that it may get damaged, or stolen, or both.

Having said that: I'm sure after a while, I'll get over it and play it like it's my trusty Flatiron A5. But I won't know until I get there :)

foldedpath
Oct-02-2013, 6:24pm
Go ahead and play the snot out of it, because that will guarantee that you're the one putting the first ding in it. After that, it's all just "beauty marks" and it shows it's been played.

My one and only mandolin is a Lebeda F5, bought new. I was relieved after the first ding I put in it, because that meant it was mine and not a generic wall hanger. I felt the same way after sanding the finish off the neck. I'm careful who I let play it, but I like hearing what it sounds like across the room, because there is no way I'll ever hear it that way, otherwise.

Remember, the first cut is the deepest:

cwZ1y5WxtOk

sgarrity
Oct-02-2013, 6:25pm
They are made to be played. I put three scratches in the top of my Gil and loved every one of 'em!

Gplayer
Oct-02-2013, 6:28pm
Musical instruments are tools first and works of art second, to me. I don't really care for too much bling, either. Play them and enjoy them.

twilson
Oct-02-2013, 6:42pm
Well, I, too, had a similar conversation with myself in 1982 when I bought my Nugget #70. But I decided I was going to play the durn thing. While I was in Michigan the summer before last, I took it by Mike Kemnitzer's place. He didn't flinch when he saw, I was watching. He took lots of pictures.

But here's the thing, you play a good mandolin hard (or guitar, you should see my D-28) and it just gets better and better. I truly wish I had gotten a pick guard put on it. But I didn't know at the time I'd be playing it as hard and as often as I did. When I express some remorse for the way it looks, my friends here say, no, no, no, you play it, that's why it sounds so good.

So although I look at my mando sometimes and wish it was cleaner, I do believe instruments ought to be played. And Monroe said, you've got to whup it like a mule.

One man's opinion,

Tim Wilson

bjewell
Oct-02-2013, 6:59pm
Wow Tim-san, you played your beautiful mandolin so much you wore the scroll off! ;- )

DataNick
Oct-02-2013, 7:11pm
Dude,

Play the darn thing!

Mr. Monroe played that Loar "like you whip a mule"...

twilson
Oct-02-2013, 7:33pm
LOL, bjewel, yup, wore the scroll off, didn't even use any power tools.

t

OldSausage
Oct-02-2013, 7:52pm
You should switch to banjo - play them all you like, they can't get any worse.

Steve Sorensen
Oct-02-2013, 7:59pm
The more you work it, the better it will be.

Just like people and wine, time makes the good ones great and the bad ones awful. But in either case, keeping it locked away is just a tragic waste.

Steve

shortymack
Oct-02-2013, 8:15pm
Ohhh the maaaaaandolin?...I thought you were wondering if I was too pretty to play. :cool:

No to both.:cow:

William Smith
Oct-02-2013, 8:21pm
They are made to be played. I put three scratches in the top of my Gil and loved every one of 'em!

Well said, They are made to be played plus in time the instrument WILL sound better!

bjewell
Oct-02-2013, 8:27pm
I've owned 100s of guitars over the years and only had a few "too pretty to play." one was a '41 D-18 from RC Snoddy another was a dead mint '63 D-28. Then there was a sano '52 Esquire... the list goes on. My '54 Tele with a stringbender Gene put in was totally thrashed and I played it in the honky-tonks for years.

But the KM-1000V? Come 'ere me pretty 'n let me have a gaze at yee... -L-

fatt-dad
Oct-02-2013, 8:51pm
If you really love an instrument. You'll take care of it.
If you really love an instrument. You'll play it.
If you really love an instrument. You'll keep it.
If you're keeping it, who cares?

f-d

Bertram Henze
Oct-03-2013, 1:34am
Your mandolin may be beautiful to look at, but that's nothing compared to the beauty of sound it may yield - shame to waste that :mandosmiley:

TheBlindBard
Oct-03-2013, 1:41am
I'd say play it. A few scratches here or there aren't that bad, it's if the banging it into things or something can cause actual damage (more structural) that I personally would be worried. Worst comes to worst, install a pick-guard if you're worried about playing your finish off. But play her, that beaut is meant to sing and dance with joy in your hands.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-03-2013, 3:22am
Foldedpath nailed it !. Yes,Mandolins,both F & A styles are indeed beautiful,but they're made to be played,& if they're going to sound any good,they need playing a LOT !. All my instruments are in pristine condition,but they do get played,i just take care of them.
And Old Sausage - a number of banjo players will be visiting you during the hours of darkness to play outside your bedroom window.
Be afraid,be very,very afraid !!,:mandosmiley:
Ivan;)

Nick Gellie
Oct-03-2013, 3:47am
Okay, it's not a high-end mandolin at all, it's even one of those "Pac-Rim" jobbies. But my varnished Kentucky KM-1000 is soooo beautiful I don't want to play it. I take it out, strum a few licks, admire the sound and the instrument itself and then put away in favor of my humble LM-400.

Is this just me? The thought of strapping this beauty around the scroll gives me a headache... What would happen if it was a Stanley or a Red Diamond or -- heaven forbid -- a Nugget???

(NOTE: just three names of super quality mandolins off the top of my head although I really do want a Stanley mando at some point)

(insert smiley irony face)

Mandolins were meant to be played as well as looked at. You will get past this phase.

pheffernan
Oct-03-2013, 5:20am
And she is all of solid fire
And gems and gold, that none his hand
Dares stretch to touch her baby form,
Or wrap her in his swaddling-band.

But she comes to the man she loves,
If young or old, or rich or poor;
They soon drive out the Agèd Host,
A beggar at another’s door.

Beanzy
Oct-03-2013, 8:01am
"Too pretty to play" ?

Solution;

AlanN
Oct-03-2013, 8:10am
Mash it, son, Mash it.

Randi Gormley
Oct-03-2013, 8:24am
It's always nice to have an appreciation for nice things. My mother had a set of china she inherited from her mother that never saw the light of day. It was "too good" to use.
I, on the other hand, have not a sentimental bone in my body, and have no problem getting out the "good" china just for fun. It was made to be eaten from.
I don't own any high-end mandolins, but I wasn't all too pleased to put that first scratch in my Eastman (the only instrument, barring one of my bandolims, that I bought new). That being said, my own body doesn't look as good as it used to. If I can face what 60 years have done to my once-youthful face and body, I can live with a scratch on my mandolin. You just need to broaden your viewpoint.

The dman
Oct-03-2013, 8:31am
Have someone make a painting of the mandolin hang it on the wall and play the damned thing :mandosmiley:

Bertram Henze
Oct-03-2013, 8:44am
Have someone make a painting of the mandolin hang it on the wall and play the damned thing :mandosmiley:

Even better: hide the painting in the attic - any dings and scratches will become visible on the painting, and your instrument will stay forever young ;)

Austin Bob
Oct-03-2013, 8:45am
It's a strange dichotomy, isn't it? On one hand it's a great joy to hold a new instrument and marvel at the craftsmanship and skill it takes to turn a tree into something so wonderful. You want it to be perfect forever and keep it in the case like something locked in a curio cabinet.

On the other, when we hold a 50 year old instrument that's been played hard, the dings and scratches only add to the appeal.

Solution: play the hell out of it and pass it onto the grandkids.

Denny Gies
Oct-03-2013, 9:17am
Why have it if you don't play it. Sell it to someone who will give it its just desserts.

lorrainehornig
Oct-03-2013, 10:09am
Re: foldedpath

Remember, the first cut is the deepest...

Oh yes, I can identify with that. I scratched the back of my new Weber (on a button) the first night I had it. It broke my heart, but I'm over it now and play it twice a day! Don't worry...once you're past that first real scratch, you're home free!

Timbofood
Oct-03-2013, 10:17am
I look at it as the velveteen rabbit syndrome, they are not real until they are a little,worn, frayed or otherwise delicately scratched. Then they are real because they are loved.

bjewell
Oct-03-2013, 10:46am
Okay, I put on my pearl-buttoned denim shirt, my old 4H belt with the giant "Silver Spurs" logo on the front -- thing really shrunk over the last 53 years go figure -- a new pair of riveted Lee Riders, put on my heavy Zuni silver bracelet. I'm ready to rock that sucker! Yowzah!

lorrainehornig
Oct-03-2013, 11:01am
Okay, I put on my pearl-buttoned denim shirt, my old 4H belt with the giant "Silver Spurs" logo on the front -- thing really shrunk over the last 53 years go figure -- a new pair of riveted Lee Riders, put on my heavy Zuni silver bracelet. I'm ready to rock that sucker! Yowzah!

I'm laughing like crazy! I have the same mysterious problem with shrinkage.

Timbofood
Oct-03-2013, 11:12am
Git to it!
Shrinkage....hahahahahahahahahahah!

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Oct-03-2013, 1:16pm
Git after it and jez beat the fire out of it!! It will thank you later!!

Londy
Oct-03-2013, 11:07pm
Fine instruments are meant to be played and played a LOT! Get it out and have at it!