PDA

View Full Version : Best options for acoustic/electric around $1500

tjmicsak
Oct-01-2013, 8:03pm
Hi everyone,
Just decided after playing guitar for some 40 years I would try the mandolin.
I'm a working musician and want a good electric option that provides the best representation of the instrument, but at the same time want a mandolin that will hold it's own in an acoustic bluegrass ensemble.
Right now my sights are on the Eastman MD615 but if there are better alternatives to check out I am more than interested in them also.

I'm leaning towards the F style based on Bill Monroe and Marty Stewart, but if there are good reasons to check any A models with the features I'm looking for that's fine too.
I am much more interested in the sound and tones rather than shine and decorations.
Some recording is likely going to be involved, perhaps acoustically and electrically based on how good I can get away with not having to mic up.

I'm also not against getting the best acoustic model I can that would sound great and then add a suggested means of additional electronics too.

Looking forward to the journey down this dirt road.

stevedenver
Oct-01-2013, 8:07pm
I think the Rigel A plus deluxe might be a godsend.....
A with pick up, ergonomic, well made, decent acoustic sound
these are right in your budget, and I think a wonderful quality

great mando, easy to play, sounds like a mando, acoustically and plugged in
the reason to strongly consider an A over and F is bang for buck-much more instrument for your dollar

others, no doubt, will have their own biases.

Alex Orr
Oct-01-2013, 8:54pm
The good reason to check out A models is that (all things being equal) they sound the same and cost much less. The scroll and points are for looks - they have no real effect on the sound.

Tim2723
Oct-02-2013, 10:12pm
Hi and welcome!

I'm also not against getting the best acoustic model I can that would sound great and then add a suggested means of additional electronics too.

I'm glad you said that because it's probably where you'll end up given your price range and desires. The mandolin world is not overrun by top quality acoustic-electrics like you'd find in a guitar shop. There are maybe a half dozen production models on the market today. When I say acoustic electric I don't mean an acoustic to which a pickup has been added, but an instrument designed from the outset to represent the sound of an acoustic when played through an amp. Things like the popular Godin A-8 and the line of Ovation mandolins fall into the category, but neither would provide what you're after. By all means pursue the best acoustic instrument you can and then add quality electronics.

DataNick
Oct-03-2013, 3:32pm
I would look for a Flatiron from the Nashville era (1999-2002) Performer A or Festival and put a pick up on it.

Good BG sound, Gibson made, right technology, done under Charley Derrington's watch...can't go wrong there!

If you don't mind pac-rim, the JBovier F5 Tradition, then adding a pick up would be hard to beat as well...