PDA

View Full Version : Weber hyalite

David in IL
Feb-17-2005, 12:00pm
I have just purchased a custom Weber hyalite (and returned my rental instrument, from the Kentucky Piece 'O #### line). I was also interested in an Eastman F (605, I think), but the beautiful finish and superior tone of the Weber carried the day. I wonder if anyone else finds that playing a new mandolin feels awkward at first; I find that scale and tremolo speed are a little behind what they were on the old instrument (I believe the fretboard is a little wider than the Kentucky's). Any experiences with breaking in a new instrument?

Eric F.
Feb-17-2005, 3:35pm
Yes. I think it takes some time to bond with a new instrument. Enjoy your Hyalite.

8ch(pl)
Feb-17-2005, 5:18pm
Does your Hyalite have a dark finish? Saw a dark one recently and liked the look.

David in IL
Feb-17-2005, 5:23pm
Yes, it's pretty dark. Looks great, I think.

telepbrman
Feb-18-2005, 2:34am
David: You and I are in the same boat...I just got my Hyalite today, I bought the Oval holed one via the web from Buffalo Brothers. It is the standard Hyalite, yet what a tone. I am getting used to the differences from my older number one, gone now is the A5-L, and enjoying the natural feel of this instrument. Tuning my ear to it's volume and tones, and playing the deal out of it...ok, which one did you get, Oval or F holes? Later, and keep me posted on your Weber Adventure, dy.

David in IL
Feb-18-2005, 10:07am
Mine has F-holes. And I agree the tone is very fine. I'm sure we will both eventually adjust to what I believe is the slightly wider neck.

Billiam
Feb-18-2005, 11:33am
Looks like we've got a Hyalite admiration society forming! I got my first decent mando a couple of weeks ago, a D-hole Hyalite with a dark 'burst finish. I found the Weber tailpiece to be kind of sharp and scratchy, so I bit the bullet and ordered the integrated tailpiece/armrest from Weber. That went on two days ago, add I like it. More comfortable for my forearm, and it adds a little visual interest to what's otherwise a kind of quiet-looking instrument. Restrung with the stock strings (GHS Phos Bronze medium), but I have some others to try out eventually. Now all I need is practice - a LOT of it!

Mando4Life
Feb-18-2005, 11:40am
I the same experience when I got my Weber. It also happens when I play someone else's mandolin. My Weber has a "v" shape to the back of the neck. It's very noticable to me when I play another mandolin. Another thing to make it feel different would be the fret size and radius fingerboard.

Congrats on the Weber...I'm sure you'll find hours and hours of enjoyment from it.

WBL

Baron Collins-Hill
Feb-20-2005, 3:15pm
i just got an A9 and find it different then my fender fm62se. the fender had the smallest neck i had ever played or seen or heard of, (just under an inch at the nut and really shallow). My A9 has a V-neck and i am quickly getting used to it and find it to make playing for extended periods less trying. my fingers now die out before my hand muscles. i also found that chop chords are alot easier on my A9, which is really cool. is there a good way to do an F#m chop?

baron

telepbrman
Feb-22-2005, 5:26am
I am very much into the feel of the neck. Coming from the narrow A5-L, to this, is very cool and comfortable. The natural feel of this natural wood is what I like. I'd love to eyeball a "D" hole Hyalite up close someday, but this oval hole is more old tyme for sure. That big chunky fingerboard of ebony rocks....I did an e-mail to Paula, and she confirmed my suspicion in that the nut is bone...later, dy. P.S. Any pickguards in our future Hyalite's life?