PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate with me: F4 "Jeanette Greene" has her 100th birthday.

Jack Roberts
Sep-28-2013, 10:25am

tree
Sep-28-2013, 10:47am
What a beauty! The back is really interesting - looks to me like 2 disparate pieces of maple, but I think its cool. Here's to the next hundred years . . .

Randy Smith
Sep-28-2013, 11:59am
Happy birthday, Jeanette. Hope someone has their hands on you on your 200th.

Gary Hedrick
Sep-28-2013, 12:21pm
Nice looking instrument indeed!

kmmando
Sep-28-2013, 12:29pm
Lovely - interesting to see the check in the pickguard by the bridge, my 22 F4 has a different curve at that point, its original, stamped with the date and patent. Lovely to see the condition, cheers, Kevin

fatt-dad
Sep-28-2013, 12:53pm
That's a keeper!

f-d

F-2 Dave
Sep-28-2013, 1:18pm
Jeanette's lookin' good.

stevem
Sep-28-2013, 2:09pm
Nice!

Happy gnome
Sep-28-2013, 10:50pm
I reckon my Nan would have killed to look that good at 100!

Also, I second tree's opinion - that back is fantastic. Here's to looking that good in another hundred.

John

Jack Roberts
Sep-29-2013, 10:57am
This mandolin was purchased new in San Diego 100 years ago for a young lady, Miss Jeanette Greene. She played it a bit, then put it away and kept it in her closet while she raised a family. Her children could not recall her ever playing it. But they do remember that when asked to play, she would say no, it hurt her fingers. I imagine she didn't enjoy the lessons as a child.

It came to me through her son, my friend, who decided after several years of trying to learn to play it he didn't have the knack.

I have light TIs on her and play often, but she doesn't leave the music room. I took her down to Irvine to show her to Eddy Sheehy once, but for gigs I use my A1, which is a lot louder and already beat up. Jeanette has very few dings and chips, and her original hardware is clean. Her pick guard is original and flat. The case is clean and there is a little tiny thin celluloid pick that Miss Greene used in the pick compartment.

Right now the plan is to leave her to my grandson, as my friend's son is in his 40s and has no children and no interest in music.

Jack Roberts
Oct-01-2013, 9:49am
Another picture of the back.

Jim Garber
Oct-01-2013, 4:20pm
I have light TIs on her and play often, but she doesn't leave the music room. I took her down to Irvine to show her to Eddy Sheehy once, but for gigs I use my A1, which is a lot louder and already beat up.

That is a beautiful back on that mandolin. BTW you prob can increase the volume some by switching to medium or even stark T-I strings -- assuming you like the flatwound, or even round wound lights.