PDA

View Full Version : Renovated Reverse Scroll

Happy gnome
Sep-27-2013, 1:22am
My latest (and favourite), and my first attempt at repairing a mandolin proper - an eBay repair/renovation job I bought about a year ago and finally finished this past week.

Before...

After...

New tuners, new fretboard, new binding, new finish. Also added a bound ebony headplate.

I tried to match the red/brown on the back and sides (though with more of the wood grain showing through), but I liked the colour of the wood (birch?) so much that I just had to leave the front.

I was too nervous to remove enough wood in sanding to remove the glue stain from the now non-existent pickguard, but apart from that and a couple of other minor cosmetic imperfections I'm pretty chuffed with it, and love playing it.

tmsweeney
Sep-27-2013, 4:15am
Looks pretty cool how's she sound ?

Kerry Krishna
Sep-27-2013, 4:33am
Happy, it looks as though you did a Terrific job! Many here would be thrilled to own that! Great Job Bucko!

Happy gnome
Sep-27-2013, 7:35am
Thanks for the kind words guys.

tmsweeney, I think she sounds pretty good, even with my terrible technique. It feels good to play in any case.

p.s I also just realised that the last shot was taken when I had just strung it up for the first time, hence the crazy strings ends all around the headstock!

Jim Garber
Sep-27-2013, 7:58am
Nice job. New fretboard means new frets and it looks like new nut, too. IMHO nut and fret work are prob the most crucial to get right to have a decent playing instrument. Where did you get the fretboard and did you cut the slots yourself?

Happy gnome
Sep-27-2013, 8:16am
Jim,

I'm afraid I ordered the fretboard pre-slotted, though I obviously fretted and bound it myself, and did the work on the nut.

I recently plucked up the courage to cut my own slots on a replacement board for a junk-shop guitar and I have to say, while it plays in tune I still haven't lost my fear of cutting fret slots.

I should also mention that Rob Meldrum's e-book on set-up was a critical resource. He deserves to be credited, as without it I would have seriously struggled with those final few (crucial) steps.

bmac
Sep-27-2013, 8:22am
Looks great!

I have one of those too...Mine is unrestored with lots of history showing..... Certainly one of my most interesting looking mandos... Mine sounds decent, but nothing to write home about..... Glad to see that others are interested in this oddity.

Bill Snyder
Sep-27-2013, 8:25am
You should have tinted it blue and called it the Papa Smurf model.

Jim Garber
Sep-27-2013, 8:27am
So where did you buy the slotted fretboard?

Happy gnome
Sep-27-2013, 8:33am
Oh, sorry Jim. I can't remember whether it was Stewmac or LMI. I have bought fretboards from both over the past year, but without finding my notebook from the time I really couldn't tell you with certainty.

JeffD
Sep-27-2013, 2:10pm
I love the look of those reverse scrolls. I have the remains of one on my wall.

Happy gnome
Sep-28-2013, 1:39am
Ha, Bill, just saw your comment.

I think you've just inspired the next project, much to my partners chagrin.

Something like this perhaps?

I might have to put a wanted ad in the classifieds...

Bill Snyder
Sep-28-2013, 7:50am
You may have to two tone it to look like Papa Smurf. His face is blue but his hat is red. 107404

Bernie Daniel
Sep-28-2013, 7:59am
Jim,

I'm afraid I ordered the fretboard pre-slotted, though I obviously fretted and bound it myself, and did the work on the nut.

I recently plucked up the courage to cut my own slots on a replacement board for a junk-shop guitar and I have to say, while it plays in tune I still haven't lost my fear of cutting fret slots.

I should also mention that Rob Meldrum's e-book on set-up was a critical resource. He deserves to be credited, as without it I would have seriously struggled with those final few (crucial) steps.

Really nice job! It looks wonderful. I agree with you on fret boards it is much easier and relatively inexpensive just to have someplace like LMI cut those slots for you. You only have to tell them the number of frets you want and the scale length and you get a perfect board every time! At least the half dozen or so I've bought have been that way.

William Smith
Sep-28-2013, 8:04am
Good job, looks real nice.

F-2 Dave
Sep-28-2013, 9:22am
Great job. It looks fantastic.

Perry Babasin
Sep-28-2013, 10:07am
Wow! That looks great, an I'll bet it sounds fantastic. I have one of these, I'm going to have to redo it too! Congratulations!

Happy gnome
Sep-28-2013, 10:55pm
True that Bill. I was thinking a red head-plate, though the pic of my note book makes it look orange/brown.

Now I'm all inspired - classifieds ad is up, let's see if I can't make the smurfing smurfiest mandolin.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words

Jake Wildwood
Sep-29-2013, 2:37pm
I'm proud of you for going the extra mile and binding the "upper hemisphere." :D

Those flattop reverse scrolls sound pretty hot but man, if you ever get the chance, pick up one of the arched/carved models. They're pretty classy rigs.