PDA

View Full Version : repair of top sinkage

GTison
Feb-26-2004, 10:55am
I got an old KM1000 It seems like the top may be sinking a little. maybe it's just my imagination. the bridge seems higher. But... if it is sinkage how do repair folks fix this problem. I've heard of it being done to other mandolins like red henry's randy wood and maybe others.

sunburst
Feb-26-2004, 11:52am
There are several ways to "prop up" sunken tops. Usually with added bracing, either bigger braces or added braces. A sunken top usually means a top that is not strong enough and there is no real fix. If bracing has come loose and caused the sinking, that's different.
IMO, the way to "fix" an inexpensive mandolin with a slightly sunken top is to use a taller bridge and play it as long as you can. I've seen some that have held up for years.

GTison
Feb-27-2004, 1:46pm
I don't think it is sunken after messing with it a while. I raised the action back up High with no problem. I think I just got used to playing it with low action. It sounds like it used to again. though I have heard of some mando tops of better instruments sinking and also Ive seen some tops where the f holes were caved in on one side from the top comming down but they played fine because of raising the bridge up some.