PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Label

dstretch
Feb-16-2005, 11:26pm
I am working on my first mandolin, a stewmac f5. It is going well so far. I would like to know what to use for my label inside, and where to get them.

Desert Rose
Feb-17-2005, 8:25am
Ive always made my own.

Get some of those Dover design books, there are HUNDREDS of them. And a home computer that you are sitting in front of right now and you can make anything as good or better than the big boys

Choose every aspect for your personal design

Scott

Kent Barnes
Feb-17-2005, 8:55am
I made my own using MS Word, and printed them on some heavy sketching paper in my Laserjet. The paper has a bit of a texture to it, and I think the heavy paper works well because the glue doesn't 'seep' through it.
Be sure to leave a space for your signature and serial number!

sunburst
Feb-17-2005, 9:39am
I made my label in the computer, but I don't have a very good printer, so I had them printed professionally. It was real cheap, and they used nice paper, and they look very professional.

bmac
Feb-17-2005, 11:27am
The Dover books as a design source is an excellent idea. Since you are building an instrument with its origins at the turn of the century you can maintain the general appearance of the period in your label. Using your computer. scanner and printer you should be able to create an outstanding label. You may be able to get paper which is more appropriate than the dead white normally used in printers. Anyway it sounds like a fun project.

Take comfort in the fact that some of the labels used in new instruments are pretty bad and you couldn't do much worse.

mandoman4807
Feb-17-2005, 12:12pm
My two were made from 80+ year old paper. Basically the same label now used in the Gibson Distressed Master model.
I had Dave Harvey at Gibson put them in about a year ago. They look great, nice and yellow looking. Much better than the pure white looking new ones http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Darrell

Lee
Feb-17-2005, 1:26pm
A century from now the label may be gone and someone will be anxious to know if they've uncovered a rare <place your name here>.
Use a soft pencil and write your name and the serial number and/or date somewhere inside the mandolin.

Yonkle
Feb-17-2005, 1:59pm
I went online and typed "Old Paper" in google search. I found a site that has photos of guess what?? Old paper. I found a photo of some old paper that I thought would look good on a lable. Then downloaded it to my photo program added print, name, year. model style ect, place to sign and printed it, then cut it out in a oval shape and glued it on the back plate prior to gluing the back on. Looks fine JD

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-17-2005, 2:07pm
There is plenty of locally available paper that is fully suitable. The key is getting what appears to be very tan or brown paper for use as a what appears to the eye to be a white label. This is simple "Staples"brand paper, laser printed from "Word"

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-17-2005, 2:08pm
And it looks right in here...

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-17-2005, 2:11pm
same paper

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-17-2005, 2:20pm
Now of course I control these like a "controlled substance". I make my "F5 Journal" labels the same way

mandoman4807
Feb-17-2005, 3:00pm
The above labels look just like mine, only they have Charlie's seal of approval. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Darrell

joshro78
Feb-18-2005, 12:13pm
just dip some heavy white paper in tea or coffee and let it dry. Simple and looks old.

dstretch
Feb-19-2005, 10:59pm
Ok. #Thank you for all the input, here is my label. #I took into consideration the ideas you all posted and my son suggested food coloring. #I printed to label on white paper. #Dipped in food coloring, 2 drops yellow, 1 drop red, and 1 drop blue in about 1/4 cup water. #Let it dry then signed it and glued it in with hide glue. #It looks awesome. #I am so proud. If the mando comes out as good as the label I will be so happy.

dstretch
Feb-19-2005, 11:01pm
here it is on the back

dstretch
Feb-19-2005, 11:05pm
one more. the glue has been removed so it really looks nice.

Steve Stahl
Feb-22-2005, 11:09am
#This is simple "Staples"brand paper, laser printed from "Word"
How do you all get the computer to add the oval border around the text on these labels?

joshro78
Feb-22-2005, 11:24am
if you have Microsoft Word, you go to the Insert Menu and select picture then Auto Shapes. This will pop up a little menu on your screen, then click on basic shapes (I think it's the second button) and select the oval. Then you'll be able to draw an oval of any size or shape on your page. If you double click on the oval's outline, you can add a solid line outlining the oval in any thickness or color available.
Hope this helps!
Josh

Bill Snyder
Feb-22-2005, 1:21pm
If you do not have a word processor that will allow you to draw an oval you can do it in Paint or most any drwing or painting program. Just draw an oval, choose the text tool and type your text and you can cut and move the text to center it in the oval.