PDA

View Full Version : Building from a kit

chipotle
Feb-16-2005, 11:15pm
This may be the wrong forum to post this question but I saw a "grizzy" reference in the general forum and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these kit mandolins.

I know this is a forum for serious luthiers but I am certainly interested in buying this kit and probably will, and I would like anyones opinion on the quality of this kit and the wood involved.

Certainly for the price it is very attractive and a fun prohect. A

And while I have never put an instrument togther I have a good experience in woodwork and I feel confident I can assemble this kit correctly.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and input.

dstretch
Feb-16-2005, 11:33pm
I saw the grizzly kit it does not look to bad, but does not leave much work for you to complete. The stewmac kit at least the f5, is pretty challenging yet easy enough to alow the hobbyist to complete it. I have thouroghly enjoyed putting my very limited woodworking skills to the test. I have done all the work with hand tools only. I think that if you have good wood skills you would enjoy this kit better.

Bill Snyder
Feb-16-2005, 11:36pm
My understanding is that the Grizzly kits are made of laminate top, back and sides (back and side look like mahogany in the pictures). Basically like a PacRim mandolin you get to finish up yourself. Here (http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/manuals/H5966_m.pdf?) is a link to the assembly manual and Here (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H5966&)is the catalog listing for the kit in question.

chipotle
Feb-17-2005, 12:19am
Wow, quick response!, Thank you all.

Well, I am looking for a reasonably easy kit to build I certainly would prefer wood over laminate.....easily:;):

I look forward to building an istrument from a kit as I do like woodwork.

rats..I hoped I found a wood instrument selection..laminated products are readily available on ebay..

Thank you for all your response!

Mando Medic
Feb-17-2005, 12:19am
I too have the cataloge here and suggest that you contact Don Kawlak(luthier) here on the MC and get a kit of his. It's solid woods, well written instructions, supports an American and a contributor to MC. Plus if you need help, and you might, he'll be there to help you through anything you need. Kenc

chipotle
Feb-17-2005, 12:26am
MandoMedic..Link to Don...
Again, I thank you and all for your quick response.

chipotle
Feb-17-2005, 12:27am
chipotle2001@yahoo.com
Thanks again for your response.:D

Bill Snyder
Feb-17-2005, 8:53am
Here (http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kawalekd/homepage/kitpage.htm) is the link to Don's kit sales page. He goes by the handle Luthier here on the cafe.

Steve Williams
Feb-17-2005, 10:01am
chipotle,

I have built both a Grizzly kit and one of Don's. Here's my take on them:

1. If you have ANY degree of woodworking experience and basic hand tools, go with Don's Mill Creek kit. Far better materials (Don is real picky about his wood) and a support system that is second to none...Don is truly a class act.

2. If you want to assemble and finish a mandolin and possess no woodworking skills and a minimum amount of tools, the Grizzly is great. You will end up with your own instrument and gain some knowledge of how one goes together.

3. My Mill Creek has a real old-timey sound, with a lot of ring and sustain. My Grizzly sounds like the older plywood Kays and Harmonys...my wife says that it sounds "twangy". Both are very easy to play and sound well with just a guitar...they can get swallowed up when you add a banjo, bass and fiddle however!

I built my Mill Creek at one of Don's workshops last fall, and to be perfectly honest would have been in trouble a few times if Don hadn't been there to bail me out. I had NO experience in woodworking at all since Jr High shop class, but Don coached me through and I ended up with a great little mandolin. The wonderful time that I had there influenced my wife into buying me the Grizzly kit for Christmas that I recently finished.

If you need any detailed info about either kit let me know.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

chipotle
Feb-17-2005, 11:03pm
Thanks much gospelmando for your comparison of the two. This helps me a lot. Nice "side by side" outlook and I will probably just be strumming with my daugther at this point ( she plays nice guitar).

And thanks medic for the link to the mill creek site, that is my most viable option and looks great! I will probably get this item, especially if support is easily available.

How great!

Luthier
Feb-18-2005, 9:46am
I'm happy to help!! #I don't have all the answers but after 30 years of building I may be able to help you answer a few of them but you won't be able to stop after you build just one....trust me. #....and thanks for the nice comments.

On another note, Lance Johnson will be leaving his position as the Program Director of the Northern Virgina 4-H in Front Royal, VA. #This may not be a good thing for the workshops he helped to establish there. #The workshops are still on for the Spring but things are uncertain after that. #Niles and are will miss the great times we had with everyone and we wish Lance all the best.

Don