PDA

View Full Version : If you DIDN'T win the MT, what was your actual entry?

terzinator
Sep-25-2013, 9:57am
I know we had the earlier news thread where everyone was offering up their ideas, but now that the contest is over, I'd love to see the other creative names you actually submitted.

Mine was Copper Belle.

Yeah, not funny enough, but I thought it would look nice on the truss-rod cover.

(Or maybe Scott will post the actual list, in which case this thread could be round-filed.)

Tommcgtx
Sep-25-2013, 10:02am
My entry was "La Batea" which is Spanish for "gold-pan" as used for prospecting. I just thought one might find some musical gold prospecting with it.

Killian King
Sep-25-2013, 10:08am
Klassischen Session

German translation of Classical.

My thought process was

Bach=German Classical Music
Mandolins are played at sessions

And phonetically it sounds like "Class is in session" which it truly is when you listen to Thile's CD.

I listened to it again last night and it really is incredible.

If the MT2 had been a black top, my name was going to be "Barnabus Collings"

Eliot Greenspan
Sep-25-2013, 10:15am
Bachanthilea (Combo of Bach/Bacchanal/Thile), thought I had it in the bag....

Bertram Henze
Sep-25-2013, 10:19am
Klassischen Session

For the record, correct German would have been "Klassische Session". ;)

stevedenver
Sep-25-2013, 10:24am
Highland Sunset-guess it sounded more like a whisky!

Dan Krhla
Sep-25-2013, 10:28am
Paul Bunyan because he had a helluva CHOP!

bratsche
Sep-25-2013, 10:36am
Mine was "Suite Partita Pie" - I just naturally analogized that sunburst instrument with a well-baked musical pastry, with the tones and aroma tantalizingly wafting from it, and it made me hungry...

bratsche

Killian King
Sep-25-2013, 10:37am
I used Google German.:confused:

I would think that contributed to my loss, but after seeing the winning entries I can tell that I was not in synch with the judges, At all!

Killian King
Sep-25-2013, 10:39am
Bachanthilea (Combo of Bach/Bacchanal/Thile), thought I had it in the bag....

I like it. Kind of what I experience when hearing the uptempo selections from the disc.

Jim Bevan
Sep-25-2013, 10:39am
Annie Maggs

I posited that this would be Anna Magdalena's stage name if she sang and played bluegrass.
(I was on tour in Leipzig when I came up with the idea.)

MSGrady20
Sep-25-2013, 11:04am
I put down "Stella Magnifico" in honor to my magificient cat Stella.

Canoedad
Sep-25-2013, 11:11am
"Stumpwood" Cuz I was stumped for a better name ...

Tom Coletti
Sep-25-2013, 11:21am
The instructions said to Name the Collings Mandolin and Win It, so I phonetically followed the instructions and went with "Anne Dwennett."

...not my best day.

--Tom

Caleb
Sep-25-2013, 11:44am
"Viator"

Latin for 'wayfarer, traveler.' I thought it was cool. Apparently I was the only one. :))

fatt-dad
Sep-25-2013, 11:46am
"Banka Mundi" the goddess to protect against the wild beast. Who doesn't need protection from wild beasts?

f-d

jambalaya
Sep-25-2013, 11:59am
mine was "the amazing, present praising, titty topping tonebox"
i guess i can't post the reason. it was edited in the other thread. i didn't think it was inappropriate, but that's me. i still like my name though. everyone has nipples after all and belly buttons.

samlyman
Sep-25-2013, 11:59am
My entry was Mighty Thunderous (working off the MT theme and the fact that my 2004 MT2 is indeed mighty thunderous). See the back of this beauty in my little Avatar pic.

Sam

Howie
Sep-25-2013, 12:14pm
The All American

Patrick Sylvest
Sep-25-2013, 12:17pm
This MT2 Mandolin would most appropriately be named Anna Magdalena, for the second wife of Johann Sebastian Bach. Her work as a copyist of her husband's copositions is well documented and as such, she is credited, at least in part, for its preservation through the ages.

Anna Magdalena was a singer, possessing a fine soprano voice, much like this fine Collings Mandolin. It is said that Johann was first attracted to her voice, as Mandolin aficionados like ourselves are attracted to the voices of these fine instruments.

Johann married Anna Magdalena when she was 20 years of age, continuing the theme of ‘2’. She gave him thirteen children, in addition to his seven from his first marriage, for a total of 20. Many of these did not survive childhood, as was common in this time. She was known to be affectionate and caring of Bach’s children, as this new owner would be of this beautiful Collings MT2.

This would be my second Collings mandolin, the first being an MT, the second, this fine
Anna Magdalena, MT2. I’ve mourned the loss of that MT (due to lack of funds) like Bach mourned the loss of his first wife! How blessed would I be to find such a worthy replacement as J.S. Bach found in his dear Anna Magdalena?

Indeed, Anna Magdalena even hints at the name of the instrument, Mandolin.

Therefore, Let us honor her memory and commemorate Chris' virtuosity by bestowing her fair name upon this, the finest of instruments!

This was what I had before I realized I had to whittle it down to 250 characters.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the challenge and anticipation. Congrats to the winners!

lorrainehornig
Sep-25-2013, 12:23pm
Dream Catcher...because the so many of my dreams are wrapped up in my mandolin. (It sounds corny, but it's true.)

bookmn
Sep-25-2013, 12:28pm
The Sunset Limited - The colors of the spruce top evoke the lands connected by this revered train line. This mandolin is a journey linking wood and soul...

Dave Hicks
Sep-25-2013, 12:37pm
Flutterby - for the butterfly-like shapes on the album cover and the fine flutter of a tremolo.

D.H.

Scott Rucker
Sep-25-2013, 12:54pm
Strong Emergence - I didn't save my explanation, which was some argle bargle about creating an ordered system in which the total is more than the sum of the component parts.

Eric C.
Sep-25-2013, 1:25pm
Sweet Ann Marie, because she's my hearts delight.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-25-2013, 1:32pm
Mine was 'Suite Dream', because the mandolin looks so dreamy in picture, and I can't stop thinking about the Bach Cello Suites.

MK in NC
Sep-25-2013, 2:49pm
Collossal Collings Collassic (with deliberate misspellings of the first and third words) —#Triple C for short.

John Kelly
Sep-25-2013, 3:22pm
I went for Wayfarer, because I reckoned it could go anywhere and play any kind of music. But I did win a set of the v-picks in the recent draw, so still feeling great about that!

Leon Peoples
Sep-25-2013, 3:26pm
Mine was "Melody" yeah, I know kinda korny :grin:
best/joe

the_polish_mandolinist
Sep-25-2013, 3:29pm
The "Marilyn & Monroe"

This mandolin would be the love-child of Marilyn Monroe and Bill Monroe. It gets its immaculate tone from his father's side, and of course gets its beauty from Marilyn's side: amazing body, spectacular curves, and don't get me started on the tail-piece :)

bigskygirl
Sep-25-2013, 3:30pm
Mine was Meriwether, after the leader of the Corps of Discovery expedition Meriwether Lewis. And the cover of thile's cd reminds me of a Montana river.

We traced part of the route and ended up at the three forks of the Missouri river in Montana a few summers ago during the bicentennial of the trip.

We saw Pompey's pillar and have traveled in the bitterroot valley, come to think of it I should probably get a Weber mandolin.....

Congrats again to all the winners.

Randi Gormley
Sep-25-2013, 3:40pm
I offered up "Volume One" -- it was on the album, it was a play on the "volume" that the instrument would produce and I figured the next one could be "Volume Two" etc. so you could have an entire series!

Michael Bridges
Sep-25-2013, 4:22pm
Mine was "Pure Austin Honey". Oh well, I liked it, anyway!

Canoedad
Sep-25-2013, 4:31pm
Pretty And Voluptuous Acoustic

.... no wait ... Darn it! No wonder I didn't win!

Cecily_Mandoliner
Sep-25-2013, 4:31pm
Mine was "Pure Austin Honey". Oh well, I liked it, anyway!

I had similar theme: My suggested name was Honey Drop, because the lovely color and shape of the mandolin, and the sweet music I can imagine making with it.
It was a fun challenge.

Canoedad
Sep-25-2013, 4:32pm
Edit Fail

Canoedad
Sep-25-2013, 4:33pm
Edit Fail #2

jmagill
Sep-25-2013, 4:52pm
Mine was "J. Sebastian Crabfeathers" with this explanation:

Sibling/nemesis of the inspiration for Thile's, “Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers”, and named after German bluegrass great, J.S. “Chubby” Bach, Sebastian’s “scorn-for-the scroll” is expressed in his vow to make all who play him Thile’s equal!

I figured I had Bach, Thile, his signature tune "The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers," bluegrass nicknames, the 'A vs F' controversy, as well as a reference to Sebastian, the crab from "The Little Mermaid" all covered with this one....

Well, fudgenuggets.....

Rick Purcell
Sep-25-2013, 4:55pm
Never Again III

cayuga red
Sep-25-2013, 5:18pm
"Real Mandolin of Genius" - playing off the old Bud Lite commercials and Chris Thiele's Genius Grant.

It went over like two-day old light beer

Lily-of-the-Valley
Sep-25-2013, 5:28pm
My entry was "DreamWeaver" because Collings are the mandolins dreams are made of.

I was hoping this dream might really come true ...

Lily

Alan Lackey
Sep-25-2013, 5:41pm
Mine was Vincent...because Van Gogh once said “I dream my painting and I paint my dream"....and that is how music and the mandolin makes me feel....despite my inability to probably ever own a mandolin of such quality.

shortymack
Sep-25-2013, 5:43pm
Mrs Butterworth.

I cant remember exactly what I wrote but it went something like this......

The rich tones and sweet sounds that she produces leave you coming back for more and more. Just cant get enough of her decadent elegance and ease of playing making it oh so worth every last penny.

Justin Carvitto
Sep-25-2013, 5:46pm
MT2-D2

In honor of my favorite droid: R2-D2

Both Mandolin and Droid make high pitch beeps and tones and have similar dome/round shapes. Plus, Thile has Star Wars dedicated tunes on his solo records.

drjuliushibbert
Sep-25-2013, 5:47pm
Mine was "Suite Partita Pie" - I just naturally analogized that sunburst instrument with a well-baked musical pastry, with the tones and aroma tantalizingly wafting from it, and it made me hungry...

bratsche

I love that - should have at least been a runner up.

drjuliushibbert
Sep-25-2013, 5:51pm
My was "Save the Partitas"

This isn't exactly what I said (it was way more eloquent) but I said something to the effect of ... My mom gave me my first mandolin. She is now battling breast cancer and this was my way of saying save classical music and also as a tribute to breast cancer awareness (ie the tatas) :)

Stoker
Sep-25-2013, 6:58pm
The instructions said to Name the Collings Mandolin and Win It, so I phonetically followed the instructions and went with "Anne Dwennett."

...not my best day.

--Tom

Had I been a judge, you'd have fared better. Clever.

Jim Ferguson
Sep-25-2013, 7:07pm
The Amber Bach.....:-)

Phil-D
Sep-25-2013, 7:08pm
Had I been a judge, you'd have fared better. Clever.

Intoneator
. Thile I'll be Bach!

Tim S
Sep-25-2013, 7:10pm
Mine was " Amanda Lynn" . No explanation needed. :)

TheArimathean
Sep-25-2013, 7:32pm
Mine was "The Wave" in thinking that all that sound and music is is a wave of thicker air following a wave of thin air in a specific sequence.

robinson.sam8
Sep-25-2013, 7:49pm
"Mama Roux"

The roux is used to thicken and add varying levels of flavor to sauces, stews, etc. Its essentially one of the foundations of cooking. I was thinking the mandolin could be the foundation for a number of musical situations.

Also, as you cook a roux it becomes darker and darker while the flavor gets richer and richer. The longer you play mandolins the richer their flavor gets. Also, the MT2 resembles a roux in that as your eye travels from the inside out, the color gets darker.

roysboy
Sep-25-2013, 8:05pm
My mandolin pretty much goes everywhere I go ....so my entry was 'THE SHADOW "

Scottydawg
Sep-25-2013, 9:41pm
Sound burst....

Austin Bob
Sep-25-2013, 10:02pm
Sweet Melissa

From the song: "But back home he'll always run, to sweet Melissa." I imagined the owner of this mandolin on a trip, and he couldn't wait to return home to play her.

Might have been a pesky copyright issue, LOL.

Jordan Mong
Sep-25-2013, 10:23pm
Mine was "Jazzby"
I thought that mandolin had a sleek look, sort of like a jazz instrument would have. Jazzby was also a picture I drew in English class a year ago with a mechanized man smoking a pipe and sporting a monocle. At the time, I was reading The Great Gatsby, so that's how that happened. Plus, I thought the name would look nice on a truss rod cover.

OldSausage
Sep-25-2013, 10:31pm
Mine was "Titanic", because it has two holes on its maiden voyage but the band played on.

I still can't believe I didn't win, but I guess they were going for the 50's sitcom vibe.

Fred Young
Sep-25-2013, 11:05pm
Well I really like the looks of that mandolin, esp the peghead.. couldn't really call it a snakehead so I choose the name "The Piffon"
with the two f's reversed in the spelling, like the f-holes.

zim_of_rite
Sep-25-2013, 11:31pm
Collings Mochrie, after the comedian on "Whose Line is It Anyway?"

I don't understand how I didn't win...

missmadeleine
Sep-26-2013, 12:02am
The Marionette
M T*2

(Then I had written a poem that didn't fit in the description):

Can you find a way to get her to sing
By plucking and pulling at the right string?

Doing it right is it's very own art.
Know her a while so that you'll know her heart.

The more that you love her, the more that you dance
The more smiles you'll share, the more happy romance.

Like the prima ballerina performing a perfect pirouette
You'll know the special secret of The Collings Marionette

With her eight strings shining brightly as she sings her happy song
To all that wish that she was yours, how about you join along?

This lady mandolin, the precious prize of the cafe,
The Marionette, all people want to play.

(And also a picture, that also didn't matter):

So, yup, I enjoyed the contest~

Bertram Henze
Sep-26-2013, 2:02am
I used Google German.:confused:

Never let a machine translate for you :))

telepbrman
Sep-26-2013, 2:55am
Coda MC...Collings, D'Addario, and Mandolin Cafe all put together...and I said something like this Mandolin would be the end of my search, a coda for looking for that ultimate Mando....

studiostefan
Sep-26-2013, 2:59am
DragonEye

When held horizontally, the bridge makes it look like a golden reptile eye. IMO. :)

Nick Gellie
Sep-26-2013, 3:45am
Mine was 'Manzanita collinga'

The MT stood for Manzanita - a shrub with bright red bark - the colour of the sunburst and collinga the species based on collings production of MT mandolins.

M.Marmot
Sep-26-2013, 6:44am
I guess that i must have misunderstood the guidelines for the competition - i didn't realise that the judges were only looking for humorous entries, if i had known that i would have adjusted my tac accordingly.

Still, the competition was a great bit of generosity from all the hosts, and the opportunity to enter and think of a name was good fun.

Looking over some of the suggestions in this thread i can see some echoes of my own thoughts - something to reflect the colour 'The Brandy Drop' or something to do with whisky like 'The Short Fella'.

I was dead set against using any reference to Thile, Bach or Monroe in the name - and using any pun on 'mandolin' such as 'Mandy-lynn'.

In the end realised that if i won the mandolin, i would like it to be with a name that reflected my circumstances somewhat, and i found what i wanted right under my nose.

My entry was 'La Marotte' -

I'm currently living in France, so the choice of a french word seemed appropriate.

'Marotte' is a diminutive or affectionate form of the name 'Mary'. My aunt is named Mary and i would not have been able to move to France without her assistance, and so i thought it would be a nice tribute to name the mandolin after her, Marotte or 'Little Mary'.

Also in French we have 'une marotte' - in this sense a marotte, is an obsessive hobby, or a past-time that someone has a keen interest in. Perfect, i thought, for a mandolin.

One last twist was an older meaning for a marotte - in medieval times a marotte was a fool's sceptre - a little wooden effigy on a stick carried around by a court jester. The effigy was usually a representation of the jester a 'mini-me' and was used to entertain people. (Just looking at one of the posts above - the word marionette actually derives from the word marotte)

Ah well , it was not to be but it was fun to try - congratulations to all the winners -

MikeF
Sep-26-2013, 6:54am
Bach Cannon

usqebach
Sep-26-2013, 7:00am
Mine was "Sweet Torment." I was inspired by Thile, who appears to be a somewhat (albeit good naturedly) tormented soul attempting to get the tremendous volume music out of his body and into the ether where it can be enjoyed by us. I guess the Collings folk didn't think the idea of their mandolins tormenting us was good for sales.

Perhaps "Sweet Temptation" would have had a chance!

My vote would have been for David's "Titanic." Too clever by half!

Denny Gies
Sep-26-2013, 7:09am
Midnight Fire..........don't know where it came from but I used it.

taterpicker
Sep-26-2013, 7:50am
I had a long list of possibilities that I had come up with, and my favorite was "Maple Butter", made of maple, plays like butter. But in the end I went with "Bruiser" sort of along the line of Grisman's "Crusher". Should have gone with Maple Butter!

Gary Watkins
Sep-26-2013, 8:31am
My entry was: "Bach to the future"

Pete Counter
Sep-26-2013, 8:42am
Mine was "Polyhymnia" which means "Many Songs, Many Praises" She was one of the 7 muses of greek mythology!

Tommcgtx
Sep-26-2013, 9:11am
"Mama Roux"

The roux is used to thicken and add varying levels of flavor to sauces, stews, etc. Its essentially one of the foundations of cooking. I was thinking the mandolin could be the foundation for a number of musical situations.

Also, as you cook a roux it becomes darker and darker while the flavor gets richer and richer. The longer you play mandolins the richer their flavor gets. Also, the MT2 resembles a roux in that as your eye travels from the inside out, the color gets darker.

Also the name of a great Dr. John tune.......

fatt-dad
Sep-26-2013, 9:24am
I asked my wife to register. So, she went to the registration page and entered the name, "The MB" (her initials). Then when she realized there was some need to give a writeup, she just added, "It's a great name!"

So, I laughed at that!

f-d

Richard J
Sep-26-2013, 9:27am
Pure Bliss was my entry. After surviving a traumatic brain injury playing a mandolin (even my cheap beginners mando) is pure bliss.

OldSausage
Sep-26-2013, 10:19am
I asked my wife to register. So, she went to the registration page and entered the name, "The MB" (her initials). Then when she realized there was some need to give a writeup, she just added, "It's a great name!"

So, I laughed at that!

f-d

Can't believe this didn't win, it is the best so far IMHO.

Steve Ostrander
Sep-26-2013, 10:32am
You mean I didn't win? Dissapointed.....

4Strings
Sep-26-2013, 10:33am
Wow! Some great entries - tough job for the judges. See what one of Sir Bill's stringed things can do to ya? I went with "Sir Chopsalot" .

4Strings
Sep-26-2013, 10:35am

So, I laughed at that!

f-d

At least it wasn't "The BM":)

M.Marmot
Sep-26-2013, 10:36am
Wow! Some great entries - tough job for the judges. See what one of Sir Bill's stringed things can do to ya? I went with "Sir Chopsalot" .

Sir Chopsalot - Heaven help me but i love that name :))

MandoliNV
Sep-26-2013, 10:53am
Mine was A-Game: Every Gig, Jam and practice session you bring the A-Game and leave the rest at home.

Perry Babasin
Sep-26-2013, 11:22am
Straight Eight... because she was going to fire on all 8 pistons and take me right where I needed to go in style!

But alas I'll crawl back into my VW bug and limp down the highway of life! Ha,ha,ha

Paul Merlo
Sep-26-2013, 11:34am
"Charlie"

I'm just kidding. I actually didn't enter this giveaway.

harper
Sep-26-2013, 12:41pm
Actual entry
Dewed

1. dood. A palindrome with balance, symmetry, and substance: That dewed is sweet as a honeydew melon and earthy as a steak from a dewlapped Angus steer. 2 dee-wed. Divorce over a mandolin: My wife de-wed me after I got another gorgeous blond F5.

Long form before I had to cut to 250 characters
Dewed

Definition 1: Pronounced “dood”. Not Dude, dood.

Noun: A palindrome (reading the same backwards and forwards) to suggest symmetry, balance, and perfection, like the Sonatas and Partitas for Violin by J.S. Bach, and like the Collings MT2 mandolin made in Austin, Texas. The term evokes the symmetrical musical forms constructed by Bach, most famously in the crab canon "Musical Offering" (Canones diversi No. 1) for two instruments. In this 18 bar piece, one instrument starts at the beginning playing forwards and the other at the end playing backwards and then they turn back and play it in the other direction, thus each a playing 36 bar palindrome. The term also evokes the heart of Texas, where Collings mandolins are made. The sound of a Collings is rich and organic: as sweet as a honeydew melon from the Pecos Valley and as meaty and flavorful as a perfectly cooked sirloin from a dewlapped Angus steer. Symmetry of outer form, like a book-matched flamed maple back, and nuanced construction of inner form are the hallmark of Bach’s compositions and of the Collings MT2 mandolin. The outer and inner forms create infinitely complex aural experiences for the player and listener.

Verb: to be covered with dew, as the porch in early morning where you pick a few tunes before work. Example: Don’t forget to take your mandolin inside at night so it doesn’t get dewed [from a Texas mandolin instruction manual]
Verb: to be scratched by the dewclaws of your favorite hound pawing your arm when you are playing the mandolin. Example: Kids, be careful when you play with old Blue so you don’t get dewed.

Verb: to be fascinated by the wobbling dewlap of an elderly mandolin player or fiddler (especially applies to younger children). Example: The flesh under Grandpa’s chin dewed the children as he played his fiddle.

Adjective: to be under the influence of mountain dew while playing the mandolin. Example: He’s dewed all right; pack up his mandolin and let’s put him in the truck.

Definition 2: Pronounced “dee-wed” with equal emphasis on both syllables.

Adjective: divorced by a spouse on the grounds of alienation of affection caused mandolin acquisition syndrome (MAS) or obsessive reading of Mandolin Café posts and classified ads. Example: She’s recently de-wed because her husband didn’t like it when she spent all her time on the Café.

Verb: to divorce a spouse for offenses related to mandolin ownership. Example: My wife de-wed me after I sold the car to get another gorgeous blond F5.

Stoker
Sep-26-2013, 5:22pm
Mine was "Titanic", because it has two holes on its maiden voyage but the band played on.

+1

Tomando
Sep-26-2013, 5:25pm
MT Licious. 'cause It looks good enuf to eat..

RobP
Sep-26-2013, 8:48pm
Mine was "Doc". I know it's not a guitar, but Doc Watson was/is my musical hero and is who inspired me to pick.

ForestWalker
Sep-26-2013, 10:09pm
DEEPNTHROATY - translated from Mandoan as “He Who Swallows Banjos Whole”

From the wild and woody Mando Tribe, he's legendary for many victories in Battles of the Bluegrass Jams, fearlessly barking out sixteenth notes like arrows and admired by all Axe Bearers for his fierce chop that leaves Loud Banjo quietly whimpering.

Stoker
Sep-26-2013, 10:55pm
Oprah Winfield

1. Paulie “Walnut(s) Valley” just doesn’t cut it.
2. It is so beautiful it deserves its own network.
3. Rumor is: Stedman has taken up banjo.
4. Nice haircut and a luscious bottom end.

WireBoy
Sep-27-2013, 4:03am
Mine was -Jesse Plinkman , for when your Break goes Bad.

Dagger Gordon
Sep-27-2013, 4:33am
The Favorite -

After all, everyone seems to like them.

PositivePicker
Sep-27-2013, 7:11am
My entry was "Tranquility Base", after the site of man's first landing on the moon. I was hoping it would evoke thoughts both of peacefulness and bold exploration.

I've toured the Collings factory, and the level of precision workmanship there is amazing. A lot of thought, care, and workmanship goes into these impressive mandolins. I was trying for a Collings-quality name when I entered.

If it had been a contest for a Rogue mandolin, I would have given my best shot at a Rogue-quality name.

stevejay
Sep-27-2013, 7:25am
Originally Mockingbird - Publicity is better.

Robert Billings
Sep-27-2013, 7:27am
Sugar and Spike
I'd say it was original, but I'm not that good. They are the names of my border collies that I inherited from my dad.

roysboy
Sep-27-2013, 9:17am
wow ...with ALL DUE RESPECT to Todd and his winning entry ...there are so many GREAT original entries posted here (which is what the company seemed to be asking for...no ? ) " Lucy ' certainly seems uninspired and a tad generic ...no ?...isn't that sorta the name of BB King's 335 ? And again ....congrats Todd .....just sayin '!

lottarope
Sep-27-2013, 9:18am
Squirrel
Because among the many sound a squirrel makes one is a bark, and one is a chatter(tremelo) and squirrels are extemely powerful for there size.

M.Marmot
Sep-27-2013, 9:37am
Squirrel
Because among the many sound a squirrel makes one is a bark, and one is a chatter(tremelo) and squirrels are extemely powerful for there size.

I like this one too - that's right outta left field - gotta watch out for those Squirrelhunters, fella :))

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-27-2013, 10:00am
DEEPNTHROATY - translated from Mandoan as “He Who Swallows Banjos Whole”.

Judging from the scoring metrics, yours would have been a runners-up if you had dropped the N in the middle :)

Sorry.. can't help myself. Feeling a tad juvenile on this glorious Friday morning.

JCook
Sep-27-2013, 11:54am
"The Honey Drop." Because in the picture it looked as golden as honey, and because of its sweet tone that soothes the soul (or something like that - I don't remember exactly what I wrote.)

Jack

Hobo
Sep-27-2013, 12:57pm
My entry was:

Cafe D' Collings
This name pays honor to three 'classics' in the mandolin community: Mandolin Cafe, D'Addario Strings and Collings Instruments. The talent, expertise and craftsmanship they provide are invaluable to all who enjoy the music of the mandolin.

SincereCorgi
Sep-27-2013, 1:39pm

Well I like... wide... NECKS and I can-not lie...

rb3868
Sep-27-2013, 1:51pm
Austin is called "the violet crown" this jewel was from Collings who are in Austin, hence "Violet Crown Jewel"

Popeye39
Sep-27-2013, 4:07pm
Earth Tone--- The fusion of sight and sound.

golfcourseguy
Sep-27-2013, 7:15pm
I thought it was clearly...A MapleBach.

Cay
Sep-28-2013, 6:39am
I chose "Marie". Bach's mother's first name was Maria. I had no expectations of winning with it at all. But I liked that it gave a little bit of recognition to her.

Astro
Sep-28-2013, 6:44am

Consonance Cordoro Collings

(I would have called her Connie. I just thought such a beautiful and classy instrument should have a proper name.)

Consonance :

In music, a consonance (Latin con-, "with" + sonare, "to sound") is a harmony, chord, or interval considered stable. A simultaneous combination of tones conventionally accepted as being in a state of repose. In more general musical usage, a consonance is a combination of notes that sound pleasant when played at the same time.

In literature: Consonance is a poetic device characterized by the repetition of the same consonant two or more times in short succession, as in "pitter patter". So the name itself is also in consonance.

In common language consonance means: agreement ,harmony, accord.

Cordaro

The D'Addario family of string-makers originated in the small Italian town of Salle in the province of Pescara. In 1680, Donato D'Addario was a known cordaro, meaning "maker or seller of ropes and strings". From other historical records it appears that the town's primary occupations were farming and string-making. At the time strings were made of sheep or hog gut, and making them was a laborious process...
After an earthquake devastated the town in 1905, two brothers-in-law, Rocco and Carmine D'Addario emigrated to Astoria in Queens, New York in an attempt to expand their market, importing and selling the strings made by their family in Salle. By 1918 Rocco had returned to Salle, and Carmine, who later, known as Charles, began making his own strings in a small shop behind the family home. Still made from gut, the process of making strings involved all members of the family. Thus D'Addario Strings was born.

Collings

Collings Guitars is an Austin, Texas based stringed instrument manufacturer. The company was founded in 1973 by Bill Collings who is "one of the most recognized and respected names amongst aficionados of modern acoustic instruments." Their mandolins are most highly regarded. As of May 2012 the company has about 85 employees and manufactures six to seven acoustic guitars, three electric guitars, two mandolins, and two ukuleles per day.

Yes, I took the instructions seriously and spent way too much time on this. I wanted her bad. In reteospect, I wish I had just named it Crotch Rocket so at least I could have got some strings. :))

PS I love the name Lucy and I'm very happy for Todd. I'm sure that Lucy is in the sky with diamonds !

jimmy powells
Sep-28-2013, 4:02pm
Mine was "Bambi". A line from Hopalong Cassisy film. My reason was that when you see Collings quality, D'Addario strings quality then Chris Thile's amazing virtuosity you'd gasp in awe and say "Well bow my legs and call me Bambi".

Jimmy Powells UK.

Caleb
Sep-28-2013, 4:09pm
I'll admit I tried to tap into the whole artsy weirdness mindset of Austin, TX with my entry. FWIW I think the winning entry is pretty good and will look nice on a truss rod cover. Maybe it all boiled down to what kind of mood the judges were in that particular day?

Jim
Sep-28-2013, 4:52pm
Dell'Arte, Referring to that which was crafted by artisans.

lenf12
Sep-29-2013, 10:35am
My entry was "Keeper" which was my intention when I won the contest. I did not win the contest.....

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Dave Hulse
Sep-29-2013, 6:51pm
My entry was:

Goccia di Pioggia

The reason for this name is to honor the Italian heritage of the mandolin as well as the shape of the A style instrument. Goccia di pioggia means raindrop in Italian. Just as the mandolin is capable of producing the most beautiful of music, the raindrop is a beautiful shape. And rain, of course, gives life to the trees from which the mandolin is crafted.

Matt Livingston
Sep-30-2013, 10:12am
Torchlight

"Shining bright and generating heat"

terzinator
Sep-30-2013, 2:34pm
" Lucy ' certainly seems uninspired and a tad generic ...no ?...isn't that sorta the name of BB King's 335 ?Just checking out all the great names... saw this and had to fire off a "correction"! (I used to be an electric nut long before picking up the mandolin.)

Lucille is BB King's Gibson ES-355. Although, I see you said "sorta" so this is more a clarification than a correction!

Carry on!

Loretta Callahan
Sep-30-2013, 10:44pm
I forgot. :disbelief: