PDA

View Full Version : Got the KM-1000 Varnish tonight...zowie!

bjewell
Sep-23-2013, 9:32pm
I wanted an F-style mandolin the same as the founder of Bluegrass Mr. Bill Monroe (hi OS!). Fortunately for my wallet I purchased a Kentucky KM-1000V (varnish) from Jonathan James who had it advertised here. Jonathan is a standup guy; if you ever see something he has for sale, jump on it. He's a good one and thanks Jonathan.

Wow, what a mandolin, flawless and it sounds great which I take is caused by the scroll. I have the LM-400 which is a sweet box but the Kentucky is really, really special. These things listed for more than $3K before SAGA said forget it, they're too much work.

Anyhow, I look forward to joining 29 other old guys at the community center where we will spend all evening playing Angeline the Baker because we are old timey folk musicians... ;- )

Can you tell I'm stoked?!

Phil Goodson
Sep-23-2013, 9:40pm
Congrats bjewell.

Unfortunately, you are limited to only 28 others besides yourself at the old timey jam.;)

FLATROCK HILL
Sep-23-2013, 10:23pm
Congrats from me also! Now go invent some music...or at least play some. :)

Tobin
Sep-23-2013, 10:23pm
Wow, what a mandolin, flawless and it sounds great which I take is caused by the scroll.

I'm sure that's it! :))

William Smith
Sep-23-2013, 10:46pm
Congrats, them KM-1000's are some nice horns!, I'd like one of those babys, some very good bang for the buck!

Andrew B. Carlson
Sep-23-2013, 10:55pm
Definitely the scroll. The scroll on mine has opened up nicely.

almeriastrings
Sep-23-2013, 11:05pm
It's all in the scroll. Without the scroll it ain't no part of nuthin'..

Congrats, anyway... these are indeed an seriously good mandolin. Can hold their own with most things.

DataNick
Sep-24-2013, 3:15am
Congrats and Enjoy!

cayuga red
Sep-24-2013, 6:12am
I wanted an F-style mandolin the same as the founder of Bluegrass Mr. Bill Monroe (hi OS!). Fortunately for my wallet I purchased a Kentucky KM-1000V (varnish) from Jonathan James who had it advertised here. Jonathan is a standup guy; if you ever see something he has for sale, jump on it. He's a good one and thanks Jonathan.

Wow, what a mandolin, flawless and it sounds great which I take is caused by the scroll. I have the LM-400 which is a sweet box but the Kentucky is really, really special. These things listed for more than $3K before SAGA said forget it, they're too much work.

Anyhow, I look forward to joining 29 other old guys at the community center where we will spend all evening playing Angeline the Baker because we are old timey folk musicians... ;- )

Can you tell I'm stoked?!

Great choice. TMS sold me a Ky1500 Varnish and it's a superb instrument. Play it in good health!

William Smith
Sep-24-2013, 6:54am
I think besides the scroll the treble side body points have something to do with "IT"

yankees1
Sep-24-2013, 7:08am
Well, I have a scrolless A5 ordered from Michael Heiden so I guess this instrument will just have to be inferior in sound ! :)

bjewell
Sep-24-2013, 8:44am
You have a point there Yank. I think someone could make serious jingle by creating an add-on kit for those people unfortunate enough to have an A-style mandolin. For -- say -- fifty bucks, you could get styrofoam pointy thing add-ons, a scroll, and one of those doo-dads for the headstock. Sell them "in the white" to use a luthier term and said customer could paint them the appropriate color with Krylon rattle cans. Listen, I want nothing for this brilliant idea, just go do it and help those unfortunates "without..."

J Mangio
Sep-24-2013, 8:58am
Enjoy your new mando, those 1000's are fine machines. I bought a '12 from a fellow cafe member last Spring;
and loving it.

Tobin
Sep-24-2013, 1:27pm
You have a point there Yank. I think someone could make serious jingle by creating an add-on kit for those people unfortunate enough to have an A-style mandolin. For -- say -- fifty bucks, you could get styrofoam pointy thing add-ons, a scroll, and one of those doo-dads for the headstock. Sell them "in the white" to use a luthier term and said customer could paint them the appropriate color with Krylon rattle cans. Listen, I want nothing for this brilliant idea, just go do it and help those unfortunates "without..."
That sort of gimmick will only get you so far. If you want to go "all the way", for unbeatable tone and playing skill, you should also market a t-shirt that looks like a suit and tie, with an inflatable cowboy hat and stick-on sideburns. Wearing those items in combination with the adhesive scroll and points, will render listeners speechless with awe and envy.

bjewell
Sep-24-2013, 2:08pm
Tobin, your wise insight leaves me speechless. That's why they pay you the big bucks, forward-thinking ideas like that are rare in this fetid empire. Let me please bow in awe to your munificence... ;- )

Canoedad
Sep-24-2013, 2:30pm
Got any velcro? 107216

bjewell
Sep-24-2013, 3:05pm
Steelers might be in the crapper but Canoedad is on the ball. You deserve a vintage Old Town wood canoe for that...