PDA

View Full Version : Have you named your mandolin?

Ben Cooper
Sep-21-2013, 8:52pm
Here is a question I find interesting. Do people name their mandolins? I know many people have several, and may not name them all, but some may name their "primary" instrument. Its just that I have been thinking of this lately. I have a new Girouard coming very soon and she (yes I already know she is a she) is quite gorgeous. I cannot wait to hear her. Ok, yes, I am a little crazy. I am hoping that an appropriate name will come to me once I play her for a while.
Anyway... anyone wanna chime in with names, reasons for naming or reasons for not naming.

Thanks all!

mtk
Sep-21-2013, 9:03pm
My F-style mandolin came pre-named from the builder. Otherwise, none of my instruments have names. However, if i was to name then I would name them all the same name like with BB King. All of his guitars are Lucille, doesn't matter which one it is.

Tom Coletti
Sep-21-2013, 10:28pm
I named it, but there's only a 1 in roughly 3,000 chance that it is actually mine.

--Tom

bjewell
Sep-21-2013, 10:44pm
Yup. I call it with great affection "my mandolin."

Ron McMillan
Sep-21-2013, 10:47pm
No

Pasha Alden
Sep-22-2013, 12:45am
Hi Benjamin35

Have two mandolins: my crafter is Vanilla, reason she has somewhat of a yellow colour, or rather a lighter blond colour, so actually the colour of something like Vanilla ice-cream.

My second, the Jbovier, is also a "she" so they are my daughters of music and light! The Jbovier is called Flame, reason the dark colours, deep browns with the fire of the sunburst.
I named them for how I experienced them.

Stoker
Sep-22-2013, 12:52am
Tim-mayyy.

onawhim
Sep-22-2013, 1:57am
hi - mine is called Maeve - just seemed she needed a name given the amount of time I spend with her - and having agreed with my partner we wont get a second dog - the name in my head I had for the possible dog had to go somewhere!!

Ben Cooper
Sep-22-2013, 2:53am
Hi Benjamin35

Have two mandolins: my crafter is Vanilla, reason she has somewhat of a yellow colour, or rather a lighter blond colour, so actually the colour of something like Vanilla ice-cream.

My second, the Jbovier, is also a "she" so they are my daughters of music and light! The Jbovier is called Flame, reason the dark colours, deep browns with the fire of the sunburst.
I named them for how I experienced them.

I like that thought. Named for how you experience them. I know I will wait until I experience mt new mando before she "officially" gets her name.

Ben Cooper
Sep-22-2013, 2:54am
hi - mine is called Maeve - just seemed she needed a name given the amount of time I spend with her - and having agreed with my partner we wont get a second dog - the name in my head I had for the possible dog had to go somewhere!!

LOL, I like that to! Appeals to the practical and the humorous sides.

Pete Jenner
Sep-22-2013, 3:38am
Yes but the names change - sometimes it's "%#*^@" or occasionally "&#)&@$#&! bottom". There are other names I couldn't repeat here.

Michael Bridges
Sep-22-2013, 4:37am
Mine has the initials "MM" Last name Monroe. What else could I name her but "Norma Jeane"?

mandocrucian
Sep-22-2013, 8:43am
Top 5 Mandolin Names

http://0.tqn.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/u/q/simpItchyScratchy1_f.jpg
"Plinky" and "Plonky"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JaM1tM9NMvk/TlLJ85pHcYI/AAAAAAAAABM/K6VQUangV_w/s1600/Leeloo_Mila_Jovovich2.jpg
"Leeloo"

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/M/montypythonrules/1042929605_turesbruce.jpg
"Bruce"

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/zi2vMNOTac8/mqdefault.jpg http://gerbilwithajetpack.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/gorn2.jpg
"Gorn"

Charley wild
Sep-22-2013, 9:20am
No

No

Randi Gormley
Sep-22-2013, 9:24am
I name mine by type: the Eastman, the strad, the rescue bandolim, the rogue ... the bowlback ... yeah, I know. Not particularly imaginative!

Denny Gies
Sep-22-2013, 9:31am
Nope.

Pasha Alden
Sep-22-2013, 11:25am
Hi Benjamin35

I hope that mandolin arrives soon and may the experience be exquisite.

Both my mandolins are experienced at such a personal level, however, I guess that goes without saying. A musician will experience that with there instrument.
When you have experienced that mandolin be sure to write something on my forum "music experiences" There people speak about their music experiences; or if you wish "Diary of a mandolin player"
But whatever you do have great fun when that new mandolin arrives.

Best and happy playing

Vanillamandolin

padawan
Sep-22-2013, 11:26am
I've named some possessions in the past (motorcycles, cars etc) but so far not my mandolins.

I do occasionally refer to my Collings as "my precious" :redface: ...but thats more of a nickname, right?

Pasha Alden
Sep-22-2013, 11:30am
At Mandocrucian: Some names you have there? Gorn? Plinkie and plonkie? Oh dear, hope that was not part of the experience <big smile>

Best

Vanillamandolin?

Ben Cooper
Sep-22-2013, 2:11pm
Hi Benjamin35

I hope that mandolin arrives soon and may the experience be exquisite.

Both my mandolins are experienced at such a personal level, however, I guess that goes without saying. A musician will experience that with there instrument.
When you have experienced that mandolin be sure to write something on my forum "music experiences" There people speak about their music experiences; or if you wish "Diary of a mandolin player"
But whatever you do have great fun when that new mandolin arrives.

Best and happy playing

Vanillamandolin

Arrive is not quite the word. I live 15 minutes from the makers and I have been there to pick each material that has gone into the making of this truly personalized instrument. That being said, I know what you mean. How I experience her will truly be the defining factor. I will be in SA next July/August and wish I could bring her with me but I will not risk it.
The personal experience I have had with the makers has been incredible. I have seen, touched, heard and "experienced" her through the whole process.
I will write on your forum pages once I have her in hand and we are aying together!

TheBlindBard
Sep-22-2013, 6:20pm
I've named my washbern-- I called her Loreley. It seemed fitting, because in the song by Blackmore's night, the Loreley is like a creature akin to a siren from greek mythology. It seemed fitting since I wasn't going to go back from learning, Always have loved music.
I haven't got my new eastman yet, but, I was considering either Nicolo, or Octavia. Nicolo for NIcolo Paganini, and Octavia, for a character from a cartoon.
Either of them would be fitting. I'll have to wait to see how the mandolin sounds to decide, though.
can't wait! :)

Ben Cooper
Sep-22-2013, 7:51pm
I've named some possessions in the past (motorcycles, cars etc) but so far not my mandolins.

I do occasionally refer to my Collings as "my precious" :redface: ...but thats more of a nickname, right?

LOL! Love it!

abuteague
Sep-22-2013, 8:11pm
I named my mandolin "em." I don't call it by name. It is an inanimate object. It doesn't speak to me. I have no occasion to use the name or speak it aloud. However, I remember "em" as its name. It just is.

The name helps me remember the serial number. Once I recall "em" I think of M45, the star cluster perhaps better known as the Pleiades that is represented on the front of every Subaru on the planet.

I hope such information is not necessary as I do not intend to lose my mandolin, but in this way the serial number is properly stored in my head and I wouldn't have to look it up or write it down.

I did like "my precious." That is a pretty good name too.

Herbm55
Sep-22-2013, 8:26pm
Here is a question I find interesting. Do people name their mandolins? ...... anyone wanna chime in with names, reasons.........!

My Collings MT is named Al.

fatt-dad
Sep-22-2013, 8:27pm
Just the one I'm about to win!

f-d

roberto216
Sep-22-2013, 9:33pm
No name for mine either. BTW -I also have a Girouard in the current batch. It's going to be a satin finish sort of red burst so maybe I'll call it Red.

Tim2723
Sep-22-2013, 9:38pm
My grandad raised pigs. He said never name something you're gonna eat. I never name a mandolin. Never name something you might have to sell for food.

Boge Quinn
Sep-22-2013, 9:47pm
My main mando, a custom built '92 Flatiron F5 Master, is the only one I have named. She is Elvira, "Mistress of the Bark".

TheBlindBard
Sep-22-2013, 10:11pm
Eh, I name my mandolins because it seems wrong to not give a name to something you play frequently to get noises of music and take enjoyment in.

Bluejay
Sep-22-2013, 10:39pm
They all have names and are referred to as such. Pumpkin, Charlie, Tony, Monty, Dragon, Amber, Simon, Rita, Valerie, Lloyd, Jazzbo, Vince, Big Red, Cedar, Darrel etc... I think of them like pets.

mandroid
Sep-22-2013, 11:27pm
my last pet cat was named Nico [velvet underground reference, in the 70s]

I call my modified banjo uke Kawlija* , because now it has a spruce wooden head.

* Hank Williams song reference ..

Bertram Henze
Sep-23-2013, 1:52am
When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.
(W.B. Yeats, Song of Wandering Aengus)

So - as soon as my OM calls me by my name, I'll start considering naming it.

Pasha Alden
Sep-23-2013, 1:53am
At Benjamin35:

Agreed. I had a few inputs in the selection of some aspects of my Jbovier a5 and it all, from the order being placed right through to the receiving and savouring of the sound, becomes a deeply personal experience.

You are coming toSA during our Arts Festival time in Grahamstown? who knows maybe a festive jam session can be arranged? I will even let you play the Jbovier, not the crafter.
The Crafter can still sound sweet enough.
Though I may not be the biggest bluegrass player, but who knows?

Best with that mandolin

Ben Cooper
Sep-23-2013, 5:12am
At Benjamin35:

Agreed. I had a few inputs in the selection of some aspects of my Jbovier a5 and it all, from the order being placed right through to the receiving and savouring of the sound, becomes a deeply personal experience.

You are coming toSA during our Arts Festival time in Grahamstown? who knows maybe a festive jam session can be arranged? I will even let you play the Jbovier, not the crafter.

The Crafter can still sound sweet enough.
Though I may not be the biggest bluegrass player, but who knows?

Best with that mandolin

Actually I well be in Kruger for the week that I am in SA. Taking my son to see the animals in the "wild".
Thanks for the offer though.
Can hardly wait to hear what the Girouard sounds like!

UsuallyPickin
Sep-23-2013, 7:35am
I'm not much on personification. Though I do refer to my instruments as my wooden friends. I have enough trouble remembering peoples names. Although I do name my associate animals. My instruments are referred to by their make and model as I am not wealthy enough to own any two of the same make and model this works out OK. If I had a ridiclous amount of money perhaps I would buy them matching case covers so they could all be "dressed" alike. Then I could call them Richard's Kids ..... that's a naming of sorts idnit? LOL R/

Justus True Waldron
Sep-23-2013, 7:45am
My mando was named by the maker... so I guess I've stuck with that. Instead of serial numbers, Marty M. names his instruments when building them to keep the parts together and log the measurements in his note book. Looking through one of the F holes I can just make out "Liz", so I guess I have Liz. She's a bit of a loud and boisterous girl, but she sure is pretty... and in the right mood she's right sweet as well!

stevejay
Sep-23-2013, 7:51am
Trip Hazard

No, mandolin is fine, too many people don't know what a mandolin is.

twilson
Sep-23-2013, 8:39am
my Nugget, Otis. My D-28, Otis. My truck, Otis. My now deceased cat, Otis.

Not much imagination, huh.

Tim

Pasha Alden
Sep-23-2013, 10:49am
Enjoy Kruger Park seeing the big five is something.

Interesting how we plan ahead up to next year. I hope to do a holiday in Singapore and one in Greece, but we will have to see how the minister of finances rule, one or the other (the minister of finance is my husband and his monetary judgement is sound)

Happy playing!

lorrainehornig
Sep-24-2013, 8:40am
I've never named one, except for the one in the contest, but I always refer to her as a female. I'm not sure why...probably because she is a part of my psyche.

bratsche
Sep-24-2013, 9:19am
Funny, I never think of any instruments as being one or the other sex. I've also only "named" the contest Collings (and in a rather gender-neutral fashion, as well); for my little collection, the maker's name, or brand and model will do just fine...

bratsche

Cecily_Mandoliner
Sep-24-2013, 3:32pm
Because MAS can strike without warning... that just needed to be said.
I have kept my names to color. My F-Style is known as Red. The Hohner A-syle is Blue, or Ol' Blue. But, I added an oval hole Rogue (really to replace the broken Fender) and I just call it Oval Hole.
I wish the names were more creative, but it's simple enough.

TheArimathean
Sep-24-2013, 5:01pm
Will "The Mandolin" suffice?

Wesley
Sep-24-2013, 8:50pm
My Kimble F-5 arrived on my doorstep on Dec 7th. So I named it "Pearl" as in Pearl Harbor. About a week later I remembered that I had named my Brentrup A "Minnie" since it was built in the city I was born - Minneapolis. So by accident I've named my two mandolins "Minnie" and "Pearl".

OldSausage
Sep-24-2013, 8:52pm
I have two mandolins, Keith and Trevor. No, not really.

metrognome
Sep-24-2013, 9:12pm
I just call mine Amanda Lynn.

HappyLife
Sep-24-2013, 9:52pm
Like a leg-less dog... doesn't matter what you name it, it doesn't come when you call anyway.

Tobin
Sep-25-2013, 2:09pm
I didn't name my mandolin. But my wife names EVERYTHING. Her Pava is named Wren. She calls my Ellis "that hussy that you always want to spend time with instead of me."

Ben Cooper
Oct-05-2013, 9:13pm
When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.
(W.B. Yeats, Song of Wandering Aengus)

So - as soon as my OM calls me by my name, I'll start considering naming it.

Lol! I like the quote! I see the point too, but who knows, I may name her once I have her.

Tim2723
Oct-06-2013, 11:24am
When I was in high school I had a girl that I loved. I gave her a pet name. When she left me I found another girl. Under some certain circumstance I called her by the former's name. I learned my lesson about pet names.

Jim
Oct-06-2013, 11:31am
Most of mine have a name on the headstock.

palosfv3
Oct-06-2013, 11:45am
Only nicknamed a 1957 Facel Vega that took me 4 years to restore . It had an intermittent fuel problem that was difficult to diagnose . this issue earned the car the title of " The French Whore " and I was quoted as saying " This car is possessed . If it were parked in front of a church , I don't know if the church or the car would catch fire first ".

jahscrumb
Oct-09-2013, 8:27am
Yep! Lady Bird and I make quite the pair.

jaycat
Oct-09-2013, 9:27am
Only nicknamed a 1957 Facel Vega that took me 4 years to restore . It had an intermittent fuel problem that was difficult to diagnose . this issue earned the car the title of " The French Whore " and I was quoted as saying " This car is possessed . If it were parked in front of a church , I don't know if the church or the car would catch fire first ".

I was once the recipient of a "gift" in the form of a used Ford LTD. We called it the LSD, a/k/a The Love Boat. My fondest memory is of trying to jack it up in the mud to change a flat, and watching the jack sink further and further into the abyss.

Other than that, I'm not in the habit of naming inanimate objects. However I did have a GF who had a name for everything (and I do mean everything). She called her guitar "Martha." I thought maybe it was after the Jefferson Airplane song, but learned to my great dismay that it was after Martha Stewart.

CeeCee_C
Oct-09-2013, 10:44am
Some instruments (like vehicles) name themselves. Some don't. Don't ask me how or why. Maybe I hear voices. Maybe it's a subconscious process akin to pledge naming at Delta House. One day, they tell me. "My Delta Tau Chi name is Mothball".

My dad used to say that a vehicle's personality was based on their quirks and reliability. He drove British cars. Need I say more? He opined that they name themselves as governed by their personalities.

So far, my A1, with whom I've lived for over 40 years has asked to be called "Li'l Guy". My other instruments are newer and, given that their life spans can and should exceed our own, they probably haven't started speaking yet. Actually, not quite true. They all say "NO" when I ask them to do something of dubious musicality.

Vehicles, whose life spans are shorter, start talking within about a year.
My old Ducati 900 is "Raoul Duc". My 2001 BMW R1100R is "Frau Mozart", and my 350 bhp Subaru is "Wil", from WLIRP (World's Largest Intermittently Rolling Paperweight).

Thus endeth my contribution of philosophical bulls**t for this morning.

Jim Garber
Oct-09-2013, 1:39pm
I only name things that move by themselves. When my mandolin greets me at the door and wants to sit in my lap, then and only then will I name him, her or it.

Ben Cooper
Oct-09-2013, 3:15pm
We shall see if my new mandolin starts "speaking" to me. She should be ready by the end of this week or early next.

Hayduke
Oct-10-2013, 8:43pm
I named mine the George W. Bush because I did as he told me to do with the stimulus money he sent. "Do your patriotic duty and go spend it." So I did and bought the mando. Naming it after him was the least I could do.

Ben Cooper
Oct-11-2013, 3:48am
I named mine the George W. Bush because I did as he told me to do with the stimulus money he sent. "Do your patriotic duty and go spend it." So I did and bought the mando. Naming it after him was the least I could do.

:grin::mandosmiley:

Bernie Daniel
Oct-11-2013, 3:05pm

Good work!

TheBlindBard
Oct-11-2013, 3:14pm
Good work indeed :D Laughing harder at that than I should be, probably. I used my SSI money to get my newist mandolin, Octavia.

bratsche
Oct-11-2013, 3:26pm
Octavia? Sounds like maybe it wants to be an octave mandolin! :))

bratsche

padawan
Oct-11-2013, 7:45pm
...My old Ducati 900 is "Raoul Duc".

My "old" Ducati 996 is referred to as my red-headed mistress by the wife but I recently started calling her Lupa which is Italian for she-wolf ...and boy does it fit.

Still no official name for the MF but I might start calling the MK "ol' lonesome" because these days it spends 99.99% of it's life just hanging on the wall.

bmac
Oct-13-2013, 6:49pm
Although I haven't really named it I sometimes call it a "tone deaf $OB!"

Ben Cooper
Nov-04-2013, 9:06pm
Well, I have the new Girouard mandolin... she is definately a she, but she has not told me her name yet.

Carol1521
Nov-04-2013, 9:15pm
Hahaha! Mandi!

Carol

Mike Bunting
Nov-05-2013, 12:33am
I call mine mandolin after my daughter whose name is Amanda Lynne.

carbonpiou
Nov-05-2013, 2:22am
The name of one of my mandolin is " Marie " because, this mandolin was manufactured in Napoli by Paolo Fonzetti in 1906, the same year of birth as my mother who was called Marie.

Dagger Gordon
Nov-05-2013, 3:25am
Most of mine have a name on the headstock.

In fact my main instrument of nearly 30 years- a Stefan Sobell 10 string mandolin - does not have a name on the headstock.

But I suppose I do have a name for it: I always refer to it as 'The Sobell'. Never thought of calling it anything else really.

My other one is called 'The Collings'.

pheffernan
Nov-05-2013, 6:18am
Well, I have the new Girouard mandolin... she is definately a she, but she has not told me her name yet.

It's time to update your signature!

Ben Cooper
Nov-05-2013, 8:55pm
It's time to update your signature!

Oh, you are right!!!!

Ben Cooper
Nov-05-2013, 8:57pm
There, thats better!!

Jim Kirkland
Nov-05-2013, 10:51pm
Yep, call it MY Click.

Jamie S
Nov-06-2013, 7:12pm
Soulcrusher 6000.

Loretta Callahan
Nov-06-2013, 7:17pm
Brenda Lee Gibby. She came with the name Gibby, I added Brenda Lee because she's little, cute and LOUD ... like little Brenda Lee. Plus, two of my best friends happened to be named Brenda and Lee .... the name just kinda hopped right in.

Regulator28
Nov-07-2013, 12:38pm
I named my first, cheap mandolin after my ex-wife........Rufus.

Larry in MD

Griff
Nov-08-2013, 4:46am
I was going to add to this thread when it popped up a few months ago, but I figured I'd wait because my mandolins, like my dog and my cat, came to me used. I figured they already had names, but none of them have bothered to tell me what they are. But I keep waiting ...

Ben Cooper
Nov-15-2013, 11:22pm
Still waiting.... I figure she will tell me her name when she is reasdy!

teleman73
Nov-17-2013, 3:44pm
One day last spring I named my old Bean Blossom "The Sundance Kid" because it was bright, rowdy, but not super nice either. I have since contemplated naming my Eastman 615 Wyatt Earp because its more well refined and nicer, but it hasn't seemed right yet.

J.J.mandoline
Nov-18-2013, 7:21pm
mine hasn't got a real name...I got a acoustic\ electric one and an electric one... the name (in italian: il mio nanetto = my little dwarf) is the same for both (but the acoustic seem to be named "little dwarf" more just for the reason that it is played more)
;-)
I'm so happy to play such a little instrument .... otherwise I'm used to the "big baby" trombone

Londy
Nov-18-2013, 8:35pm
I actually never thought to name my mandolin. I did name the Collings from the give away here at the cafe, but since I lost the contest I decided I would take the name because it SHOULD have won.

Capriccio
Italian musical term meaning fast, intense, and often virtuosic in nature.

Petrus
Nov-19-2013, 2:52am
Mandy? :grin:

Ben Cooper
Nov-24-2013, 8:11am
I actually never thought to name my mandolin. I did name the Collings from the give away here at the cafe, but since I lost the contest I decided I would take the name because it SHOULD have won.

Capriccio
Italian musical term meaning fast, intense, and often virtuosic in nature.

Thats a great name. She still hasn't told me hers though we play every day. I am thinking it is something about her wood though. The birch back and sides give her such a unique and incredible tone!

pheffernan
Nov-24-2013, 9:19am
Thats a great name. She still hasn't told me hers though we play every day. I am thinking it is something about her wood though. The birch back and sides give her such a unique and incredible tone!

Thora? :)

yankees1
Nov-24-2013, 9:27am
No I haven't ,but-------------my wife named my mandolin "Kindling" if I don't quit practicing in our living room ! :)

Markelberry
Nov-24-2013, 4:00pm
I named my A9 its got a crack wore down to bare wood been dropped twice and I almost busted the thing hence the name BUSTER!

Lord of the Badgers
Nov-24-2013, 4:07pm
If anything, it's "Dave"

Best I could do really. It's inspired by the original owner for whom Phil D made it (Davey Dodds ex-Red Jasper (prog band) who sold it when he gave up playing apparently). Anything else feels pretentious. the others don't have a name though. Occasionally refer unoriginally to the harmonium as Mona.

Doug Heinold
Apr-20-2014, 1:27pm
I just picked up a 1921 Gibson F4, and although I have never named any of my instruments, I've named her Bonita. I got her in Bonita Springs, FL, and the only thing they could tell me was that it came to them with a Mexican sash. Seems like a fitting homage to the prior owner. I may go with Bonnie for short.

Aunt Sukey
Apr-20-2014, 1:39pm
I call my Morgan Monroe "Morgan", not very original, but she needed a name.

Doug Ezell
Apr-20-2014, 3:37pm
My Fern F5 is named: Vern. Vern the Fern.

My octave arrived the day my cabin burned down, hence she is called "Ashley"

Doug in Montana

grimer
Apr-20-2014, 3:47pm
Nope.

George R. Lane
Apr-20-2014, 3:47pm
I named my Yellowstone 'Isabella' after Isabella Rossellini, my favorite actress and they both have great curves.

Ben Cooper
Apr-20-2014, 4:05pm
I love the names and the stories. Keep 'em coming. :)

Mickey King
Apr-20-2014, 9:58pm
"Mandy Lynn"

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Apr-21-2014, 4:01pm
My kids have always named certain possessions of mine eg my workshop became the Wendy House.
My wife brought my last mandolin and wrapped it for Christmas, whenever I asked her a question about it
I got told they haven't got me a mandolin, and when I pointed out the suspicious shaped object I was informed
that they had wrapped some Rhubarb for me to wind me up. Ever since my mandolin goes by the name Rhubarb.

Mike Steadfast-Ward
Apr-21-2014, 4:15pm
I didn't name my mandolin. But my wife names EVERYTHING. Her Pava is named Wren. She calls my Ellis "that hussy that you always want to spend time with instead of me."

Ha ha he he ho ho, your wife has an amazing sense of humour Tobe.

Jim Garber
Apr-21-2014, 4:18pm
My wife brought my last mandolin and wrapped it for Christmas, whenever I asked her a question about it
I got told they haven't got me a mandolin, and when I pointed out the suspicious shaped object I was informed
that they had wrapped some Rhubarb for me to wind me up. Ever since my mandolin goes by the name Rhubarb.

Hah! That is great. It also reminds me of Les Paul who's first nom-de-music was Rhubarb Red.

Frankly (no! not that name) I don't name any instruments. First of all, I have way too many and second, I can't even remember my hundreds of passwords and PINs on the computer and elswhere. Besides, even if I named them all, would they come to me when I called them by name?

Gelsenbury
Apr-21-2014, 5:20pm
Nope.

That's a nice name. :))

Patrick Sylvest
Apr-21-2014, 5:36pm
I refer to my instruments by their given names. My Ellis is called, 'My Ellis'. Guess what I call my Weber and my Gibson?

TheArimathean
Apr-21-2014, 5:40pm
A friend has started calling mine "The Man."

JeffD
Apr-22-2014, 9:13am
A friend of mine has two guitars, one is blonde and the other is a blacktop arch top. She named them Sheep Crook and Black Dog.

:)