PDA

View Full Version : J62 bronze and FW74 flat wound comparison

Boomslang
Sep-20-2013, 7:28pm
Wasn't particularly looking for another string, but was a freebie at a local music store. What is the sound and playing characteristics of flat wound, (FW74), opposed to (light gauge) bronze wound J62?
Boomslang-
And no......Didn't want to put them on, (or not), till I heard feedback

Daithio
Sep-20-2013, 7:40pm
I love the FW74s on my Breedlove Quartz OO (and even the Tacoma M2). I play melody--Irish and old-time tunes. They lack the bright or brassy overtones of round wound strings, but I want a fairly mellow tone. I find them warm, with a good bass response. They last longer. I imagine if I played chords I'd want something with more bite, but I love them for playing tunes.

mandobassman
Sep-20-2013, 8:44pm
There is no comparison between these two sets of strings. They're night and day in tone comparison. The J62 is a light gauge bronze roundwound string. Very bright, brassy, metallic sounding string. The FW74 set, even though the physical gauge size is not that much different from the J62, is a much beefier string set, with a warm tone that lacks the metallic twang of the bronze strings. Flatwound steel and roundwound bronze are the opposite extremes of tone, in my opinion.

Ian Rossiter
Sep-21-2013, 9:32am
I too,use the FT's on a Breedlove OO,absolutely love them.

TheBlindBard
Sep-21-2013, 10:41am
After playing around with JM11's, I really love flatwound strings. Combine them with a round-edged pick and they sound very warm and beautiful. Roundwound strings just sound a bit to metalic and harsh to my ears.

Pasha Alden
Sep-22-2013, 12:55am
Love the sound of flat wound strings.

stewbag
Sep-22-2013, 6:39am
I also like the FW. Feel nice on the finger tips. Warmer sound.