PDA

View Full Version : Moon Beam Mandolins?

Swandoline
Sep-19-2013, 11:14pm
I can't seem to find any discussion on this builder here on Mandolin Cafe. I have an opportunity to acquire a F-Plus model for what seems to be a decent price. Does anyone have experience with these, say models above 30's. I've seen YouTube videos which never seem to do much for me. Nor do sound clips, as every sound clip on themandolinbrothers website sounds the same to me. But I notice monster differences when actually playing and herring in person. Thanks for any insights.:mandosmiley:

Steve L
Sep-20-2013, 6:25am
How hard have you been looking? I punched Moonbeam into the search engine and found threads going back to 2004. Wide range of opinions. Some allegations of questionable marketing probably didn't help much in a niche market with lots of good comptetition.

Scott Tichenor
Sep-20-2013, 6:33am
I can't seem to find any discussion on this builder here on Mandolin Cafe. I have an opportunity to acquire a F-Plus model for what seems to be a decent price. Does anyone have experience with these, say models above 30's. I've seen YouTube videos which never seem to do much for me. Nor do sound clips, as every sound clip on themandolinbrothers website sounds the same to me. But I notice monster differences when actually playing and herring in person. Thanks for any insights.:mandosmiley:

Found 15 threads going back to 2004. Using the default search is not recommended.

Go to Advanced Search (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php) and search for them in two different spellings:

Moon Beam
and
Moonbeam

Search Titles Only. Lots of information.

Swandoline
Sep-20-2013, 5:00pm
Yes, Default Search turned up zero. I actually found results via Google for Mandolin Cafe Moon Beam. Next time I'll use Advance Search.

It appears as though no one has recently commented on them. There must not be a whole lot of them out there.

rb3868
Sep-21-2013, 9:20pm
I think, maybe, a few people had less-than-stellar experiences with them, and with the great builders we see here, and the great lower-end stuff from Eastman and Kentucky, they sorta became a non-entity on here

Scott Tichenor
Sep-22-2013, 12:26am
Yes, Default Search turned up zero. I actually found results via Google for Mandolin Cafe Moon Beam. Next time I'll use Advance Search.

It appears as though no one has recently commented on them. There must not be a whole lot of them out there.

Default search did exactly what it was instructed. It turned up every instance of the words moon and beam on a search of all posts within 1.2+ million posts. Too much data in default mode. There's a reason why Google has made trillions of dollars. It's smarter than any other search function on the web. Period. No commercial software product will return results unless given more instructions which is why Advanced search works best with a forum of this size.

Empower yourself: forum searching demystified (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?94561-Empower-yourself-forum-searching-demystified)