PDA

View Full Version : New Grass Union

Feb-26-2004, 10:07am
New Grass Union: John Cowan, Pat Flynn, Curtis Burch, David Via

That was all the info listed for a show at a Northern Virginia venue in April. #Sounds almost like a NGR reunion but without Sam Bush I'm skeptical. #Anyone heard this particular configuration?

No other info is available but the venue is State Theater in Falls Church (http://www.thestatetheater.com). Show date is April 23.

Scotti Adams
Feb-26-2004, 10:14am
..sounds like a new band to me...

AlanN
Feb-26-2004, 10:19am
Saw Via down here in Raleigh a while back, mando boy but didn't strike me as a firey picker, more of a performer/songster/band dude, nothin' wrong with that.

Scotti Adams
Feb-26-2004, 10:26am
....the world is aching for a Revival "Revival"....dont think it will ever happen though....does anyone know if there was some hard feelings from the break-up?....I thought Sam and John was like peanut butter and jelly...I think Bela and Pat had some issues within the band...

duuuude
Feb-26-2004, 10:38am
Don't a reunion have more than one previous member? Should still be cool, though, just carryin on the Newgrass musical traditions of creating new traditions.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Scotti Adams
Feb-26-2004, 10:41am
..hey Duude..3 of those guys were Revivalist's....Via was the only one who wasnt a member....

BenE
Feb-26-2004, 10:42am
Interesting story about this...When I opened for Sam....after the show we were all talking and a lady approached Sam and told him how much she liked his music...ect...She told him it was her dream for New Grass Revival to get back together and play her birthday party. #Sam was not happy at all with her comment. #He was very adamant that this was NOT going to happen...ever! #Part of what I think bothered Sam was that she told him she really "liked" his new music but "LOVED" his stuff with New Grass. #Sam said something to the effect of "When will people get over that and recognize what I'm doing now!" #It's not hard to understand Sam's feeling that way as an artist. #BTW.....Sam was really cool to the band and me. #It was the highlight of my playing to get to open for him. #He gave me his pick after the show! #He hung around and told several stories and gave us all hugs at the end of the night. #I was totally impressed with him and he just gave you the vibe that he was good people. #I hope to do it again!

Scotti Adams
Feb-26-2004, 10:47am
..Hey Ben..whats with all the #'s in your post? #I have a cool story about Sammy too.....they was on stage..Sammy broke a string on the kick off to "Reach"....and E string...Im sittin in the front row just mindin my own bizz when Hoss is thrusted into my hands and told to change the string "quick"...I did..played it for a few secs...got Hoss back out to Sammy for his blistering break.....I never will forget it...later on I got to play it for real for a while....nice axe...but not as loud as I expected....I see you went back and edited... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

BenE
Feb-26-2004, 10:58am
Scotti....
Sometimes I type in Word and cut and paste into the reply box. #For whatever reason, when I do this some of the apostrophes and such will come out as numbers. Makes no sense to me...but I try and go back and fix 'er up.
Cool story about Sam. #I think MandoJeremy told a similar story about the volume of Hoss. #Said it wasn't as loud as he expected.
Sometimes the cool thing about the music is the musician behind the music. #Last night...I got to listen to a tribute (three disc!) to John Duffey that was held at the Birchmere and the performers told so many great stories about John....from his breakfast ritual to his stage antics. #It seems to me that it puts a more personal touch on the music when you get a little of the players personality.

duuuude
Feb-26-2004, 12:55pm
..hey Duude..3 of those guys were Revivalist's....Via was the only one who wasnt a member....
Guess I oughta pay more attention http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Mando4Life
Feb-26-2004, 1:11pm
I met Sam back around 1993 after a show in Cincy. #A person asked him about a reunion back then and he replied along the lines of he gets to play with John and Bela from time to time and he loves it. #But with conflicting schedules, ideas, etc. he really didn't think that a full reunion would ever happen.

At any rate I'm sure it will still be a good show. #I'm anxiously waiting for April to arrive to see Sammy here inc Cincy.

Scotti Adams
Feb-27-2004, 10:33am
From the horse's mouth....
Via and Curtis were slated to do this show...ignorant promoter didnt understand what he had ...didnt want to come off the fundage..Via and Curtis are going to play the Flat Rock Festival on the 23rd instead merging with the Larry Keel Experience, Big Daddy and Snake Oil ...and joining up with John and Darrel Scott the next night in Radford VA http://www.davidvia.com/ for more details on the comings and goings of the Corn Tornado