PDA

View Full Version : Strings for vintage mandolins, anything I should know?

Gregg_Sanford
Sep-18-2013, 9:28pm
I just bought a great sounding 1924 Snakehead A. I has some pretty funky old strings on it and I am planning to replace them ASAP. In the past I have really enjoyed medium gauge Elixer nano-web strings but these were on my recent Weber F style. I am just curious to know if I should stick with light strings on the new Gibson given its age or if I should be find going with medium gauge strings? Any suggestions or things I should know about new strings on the snakehead? Thanks.

William Smith
Sep-18-2013, 9:38pm
I just bought a great sounding 1924 Snakehead A. I has some pretty funky old strings on it and I am planning to replace them ASAP. In the past I have really enjoyed medium gauge Elixer nano-web strings but these were on my recent Weber F style. I am just curious to know if I should stick with light strings on the new Gibson given its age or if I should be find going with medium gauge strings? Any suggestions or things I should know about new strings on the snakehead? Thanks.

I've always used mediums on all my old Gibsons that I've had or have from the teens up till the 1930's and have never had a problem. Just make sure there is not any top sinkage due to a loose brace.

JeffD
Sep-18-2013, 9:41pm
Assuming the mandolin is in good shape it should handle mediums just fine. Preferred actually, over light, for better tone and volume.