PDA

View Full Version : "Hello", and asking advise about a beginner's mandolin.

MilliDee
Sep-18-2013, 10:26am
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and quite frankly, also to playing the mandolin.

I have been practising 3-finger style banjo for about 4 years and don't see I am making any progress at all. So I am considering to try the mandolin, seeing that that is more done with strumming, which may be more suitable.

I haven't sold my banjo yet, but I want to find out if someone can advise a particular kind or brand or model Mandolin that would be good for a beginner. I live in VT, and there are not many music stores that would have a big selection to try, if any at all.

Thank you ver much in advance.

Milli.

Capt. E
Sep-18-2013, 11:08am
Mandolins are played with a single pick, which will be easier than 3 fingers I suppose. Playing involves picking single strings, two strings (called double stops), and strumming of chords (up to 4 strings). I find the mandolin easier than guitar, and probably easier than banjo...give it a try.

As far as an instrument is concerned, there are many threads here on the topic. I would expect to spend somewhere between $300 and $500. Kentucky is perhaps the best brand for equivalent money. At the top of the price range I mention, the model KM-505 is a long time favorite. If you would like an oval hole instead of ff holes, the Kentucky KM-170 series (171, 172, 174) is a great value. Be aware that a mandolin will in general cost twice the price of an equivalent quality guitar.

Mike Arakelian
Sep-18-2013, 12:32pm
There was an Eastman 904 available in the classifieds for $350 that would make an outstanding starter mandolin. Eastman, Kentucky, and The Loar are all good choices for a first mandolin. Just be sure that it has been set up properly. Good luck on your mandolin journey...it's a great instrument.:mandosmiley:

SincereCorgi
Sep-18-2013, 12:39pm
You'll get a lot of good advice here, Milli, but bear in mind that the mandolin won't necessarily be an easier instrument than a banjo. Have you been able to work with a good banjo teacher?

Rob Meldrum
Sep-18-2013, 8:08pm
Knowing nothing about your situation I'll gladly throw in my two cents. If you are young, poor, and struggling to find an instrument to strum and sing along with and have found the banjo to not quite fit your needs... here is my recommendation. Go to www.musiciansfriend.com (NFI on my part) and search "Rogue Mandolin." Look for their mandolin + guitar package for $99.00 (this includes shipping). While you're waiting for the delivery email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com for my free ebook on how to set up a mandolin.

When your new instruments arrive set up the mandolin. Apply the same concepts to setting up the guitar, except measure string height at the twelfth fret with a quarter. Mess around with them. See what you like. If you have lots of multi-talented friends, keep the banjo, mando and guitar in your living room and be amazed at the impromptu jams. If you find you prefer Xbox or macrame to making music, sell the mandolin for $40 and the guitar for $60 to someone else who is on a budget. You just found out you don't like playing the mandolin or the guitar and it didn't cost you anything (other than your time)!

Rob

Bill Snyder
Sep-19-2013, 8:18am
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and quite frankly, also to playing the mandolin.

I have been practising 3-finger style banjo for about 4 years and don't see I am making any progress at all. So I am considering to try the mandolin, seeing that that is more done with strumming, which may be more suitable.

I haven't sold my banjo yet, but I want to find out if someone can advise a particular kind or brand or model Mandolin that would be good for a beginner. I live in VT, and there are not many music stores that would have a big selection to try, if any at all.

Thank you ver much in advance.

Milli.

If you are playing for your own enjoyment around the house you may spend very little time strumming the mandolin. You will mostly be playing the melody.

Pasha Alden
Sep-20-2013, 2:30pm
Hi
Welcome to the world of mandolins!
I think it is not necessarily the brand as much as setup!
The important thing to consider is that the dealer selling you the mandolin can guarantee a good setup!, that is the action not too high, etc.

A limited choice in SA I only hear of good brand names found in the US.

I am happy with my Jbovier mandolin!
Good luck with finding a good mandolin

rb3868
Sep-21-2013, 9:30pm
Type "vermont" and "mandolin" or "folk instruments" into google. you might be surprised