PDA

View Full Version : Nylon strung guitar-bodied bouzouki

TijnBerends
Sep-17-2013, 4:36am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMpCoNPZy-g

Here's a short video of an instrument I made almost two years ago. It's a bouzouki with a (more or less) guitar-shaped body, based on Graham McDonald's "Type II Bouzouki". The top has a very strong curve and recurve, based on the Howe-Orme design (which I came across in Nigel Forster's lovely book "Between the Ideal and the Possible".

Some people may remember the posts I made during the building process, and a last post mentioning that the instrument broke down. It turned out that I had made a (beginner's) mistake, and instead of making a small indent in the back to make room for the top, I'd made an indent in the top to make room for the neck. This weakened the top, and about three weeks after I strung it up, two cracks appeared in the top, just next to the beck.

I did manage to repair it though. I removed the back, and glued a 20cm wide plywood brace to the inside of the top and the neck, making the connection between them much stronger. I glued the back on again, replaced the bindings, and re-sanded and coated the whole thing.

Although I expect that it can handle steel strings without problems now, I decided to try something new and put nylon on it. I already have two steel-string bouzoukis, and I figured that the warm sound of this instrument's cedar top and wooden bridge would go very well with nylon. As it turns out it does, as you can hear from this video.

Comments are welcome:)

Kerry Krishna
Sep-17-2013, 5:15am
Well, I sure am impressed. What is the volume like compared to the Steel strings?

Graham McDonald
Sep-17-2013, 5:19am
I am delighted and flattered that you have taken my design and done something different with it. I hope Nigel ( and those almost forgotten people at Howe-Orme) will feel just as rewarded. Damn fine playing as well.

graham

tom.gibson
Sep-17-2013, 6:26am
That's great. I really like the sound with the nylon strings, even if they weren't intended originally... Nice looking design too.

If you haven't come across him, you might be interested to listen to some of the nylon (or actually fluorocarbon) strung mandolin-family instruments made by Daniel Brauchli from Tasmania. There are videos on youtube and on his website (www.danielbrauchli.com).

Bill Snyder
Sep-17-2013, 9:05am
Very nicely done.

tmsweeney
Sep-17-2013, 9:29am
very cool

I imagine it is not too loud

perhaps an internal pickup would help with volume ?

Tavy
Sep-17-2013, 10:46am
Really great playing there, and sounding very good. Nice to see someone else building induced arch / cylinder top instruments as well!

TijnBerends
Sep-18-2013, 11:02am
Well, I sure am impressed. What is the volume like compared to the Steel strings?

Thanks! The volume's a bit lower, though with the large soundhole and extremely thin top (2mm) it's still not bad. More than your average nylon-strung guitar.

very cool

I imagine it is not too loud

perhaps an internal pickup would help with volume ?

Thanks! It's a got a fishman under-saddle pickup, which sounded quite well on the recording. I haven't tried it on stage, so don't know how effective it would be there.

Paul Kotapish
Sep-18-2013, 11:12am
Very nice sounding--and looking--instrument, and great playing. Love the nylon-string sound, too. I'm guessing that this would work wonderfully well for recording and for small combo sessions or controlled concert situations.

JHumphrey
Sep-21-2013, 12:21am
Sounds great, looks great, love the energy of your playing! Keep up the good work.

I really enjoy the sound of nylon string on mando family instruments. I made a 13.875 bowl-back mando with nylon strings once, and loved the way it sounded.

Thanks for posting.

JHumphrey
Sep-21-2013, 12:23am
By the way- what are the string gauges?

F-2 Dave
Sep-21-2013, 10:21am
Nice playing. I enjoyed it very much.

JEStanek
Sep-21-2013, 10:57am
Tasty sounding and looking. Thanks for posting this.

Jamie

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-21-2013, 11:47am
Really nice playing.. and I see you already have quite a collection already on the wall. Keep it up!

What's the scale length? Looks to be around 25-26", no?

Happy gnome
Sep-22-2013, 3:44am
Very nice. Very nice indeed.

John

TijnBerends
Sep-22-2013, 11:35am
By the way- what are the string gauges?

To be honest, I don't know! :grin: I just asked for the A, D, b and e strings for a regular classical guitar, since that's quite close in scale length to this instrument, and in my experience you can alter the tension of nylon strings quite a lot without affecting the tone.

Really nice playing.. and I see you already have quite a collection already on the wall. Keep it up!

What's the scale length? Looks to be around 25-26", no?

Ehm, it's a 66 cm scale, so that makes... *Google* ...26''.

nkforster
Oct-03-2013, 9:33am
Wonderful! Looks like you made a nice job of the instrument. Keep up the good work.

Nigel

www.nkforsterguitars.com