PDA

View Full Version : A guitar question. Guild D50 Bluegrass Special

roberto
Sep-16-2013, 6:50am
Would be comparable Guild D50 Bluegrass Special with Martin D28?
I don't see many people playing Guild...

cayuga red
Sep-16-2013, 7:33am
Would be comparable Guild D50 Bluegrass Special with Martin D28?
I don't see many people playing Guild...

Guild makes great guitars including the D50 BG-Special.

jaycat
Sep-16-2013, 8:18am
Guilds are great guitars! I am not familiar with the D50 but I had a D25M for many years (til it got stolen) and I miss it badly. As they say, it really did "play like butter." And loud! Actually too loud for my singing voice. I replaced it with a Taylor auditorium-size which I can hear myself better over, but the neck doesn't play like the Guild did.

I don't know why you don't see them at jams. I would put mine up against any Martin I've heard. And so much more affordable. Caveat: I don't know anything about the ones made overseas these days -- mine was made in Westerly in 1960.

I also have a T-50 electric - thin hollow body. I love that guitar too. Did I mention I love Guilds?

Caleb
Sep-16-2013, 9:54am
I've always liked Guilds too. Very solid, workhorse instruments. Not only do you hardly see them in BG circles, but you hardly see a Gibson either. Lots of Gibson mandos but few guitars. Martin seems to have the BG world held firmly in hand. I own a Larrivee dread that can handle BG pretty well. They're on par with all the big boys and can sometimes be had for a lot less money.

William Smith
Sep-16-2013, 10:07am
Guilds are great sounding but Martin has been around a lot longer and well in Bluegrass we all know or have heard "now son you better get yourself a Martin" Guess its the bluegrass tradition all our heroes played a Martin.

almeriastrings
Sep-16-2013, 10:16am
They do not sound quite like a D-28. They have their own sound. My first ever good guitar, many (!) years ago, was a Guild D-40.... the mahogany version. The D-50 is richer sounding, with more low end, but not as much "punch". They do not hold value quite like a D-28 either, so you can often find them at a good price. To some extent, it depends on the year (and place) made. At times, some of them have been built a bit too heavily (in my opinion), others have been lighter built (and I think those sound better). If you find a good one, they are very nice guitar, though. The necks also feel quite different to a Martin. Usually quite thin and flat in profile, but that has varied a lot over the years too, with changes in factory and ownership of the company.

Just got your CD, Roberto! Listening to it now... very, very nice work! :mandosmiley:

Thanks!

Ray Neuman
Sep-16-2013, 11:43am
I have always loved Guilds! Yes, some of them would be on par with Martin, just a bit different sound. Some are very "thick" with finish, some are as hard to play as most Gibsons! But SOME....are just flat out jewels!

I supose in the BG arena Martin is like Gibson Mandolins.....there are others, just as fine, but they simply are not THAT brand!

brent1308
Sep-16-2013, 3:45pm
I bought a Guild D-40 bg a few years ago. Nice instrument. The headstock definitely stands out in a crowd.

mandroid
Sep-16-2013, 4:26pm
my F30 is sorta like a 000 .. mahogany & spruce..

Guild has been multi state . NJ to RI , now with Fender take over
made in the old Tacoma factory in WA .. and an import ..

Timbofood
Sep-16-2013, 4:48pm
I obviously love my Guild! At a festival one time with some friends and some guy walked up and asked to try it out, being a nice guy, I said sure. He must have bathed in Cutter bug dope, screwed the finish up something awful! Got it home the next day and spent three hours with McGuires trying to get it back in shape. Marginal success but, lesson learned.
And oh yes, they can be loud as all get out, but they do not sound like Martins. I just plain love my D-25M, have not been playing it much lately, don't know why.

pheffernan
Sep-16-2013, 5:24pm
Guild has been multi state . NJ to RI , now with Fender take over
made in the old Tacoma factory in WA .. and an import ..

If I'm not mistaken, they've gone from New York to New Jersey to Rhode Island to California to Washington to now Connecticut with overseas production in China and Mexico.

almeriastrings
Sep-16-2013, 9:47pm
If Martin's anthem is "The D-18 Song", I propose "I've Been Everywhere, Man" for Guild.

nickster60
Sep-16-2013, 10:58pm
I love Guilds just great guitars

RobP
Sep-17-2013, 1:20am
There is a D40 BG in the local music store... I keep taking people in to listen to it -- such a resonating bass it just sounds amazing. I'm not in the market for a guitar, but if I was and I had the $2800 I would buy this one for sure.

I have played Guilds for years. My first "good" guitar was a 1972 Guild D35. I bought it very used in 1984... the back of the neck already had wear spots behind frets 3 and 5. I have had other guitars, but I have sold them all and still have the Guild. It has been everywhere with me. It's a kick to see my son pick it up and learn on it too.

But, for the most part these days I just play mandolin :)

Cheers

roberto
Sep-17-2013, 2:32pm
Thank you, amigos.

texaspaul
Sep-17-2013, 3:10pm
The D-50 BG has a adorandack top. It has a different tone than the D-55 which is a more common model the D-50BG is designed to have a stronger bass and Mids than the D-55 which has a very evenly balanced tone. All guitars can be neglected and have high action, but I have found more Guilds with an easy playing set up than most Martins before around 1995 or so. I have had several Guilds Ds, D-30, D-4 & D-55 and Martin Ds, D28 ('72), D35 ('96) & D42('74) & SPD-16(2001) current guitar.

I also have '73 Guikd F-412 jumbo maple 12 string and a '75 F-50 maple jumbo mate to the 12 string and love them. The Guilds have all been great guitars on par with any of the Martins. I just love my guitars period.

GuitarDogs62
Sep-18-2013, 10:11am
When it come to Bluegrass I will take a D-18 (Doc Watson Favorite) or a D-28. The Martin sound and Bluegrass goes along well together like peanut butter & Jelly.