PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Mandolin Brothers, Staten Island?

Dolan
Sep-14-2013, 8:09am
Has anyone shopped at or ordered from Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island? How was the experience?

Eliot Greenspan
Sep-14-2013, 8:23am
I live a long way away in a very mandolin barren area. Went to MB w/ a flatpicking buddy and had the time of our lives. After playing for a while, Stan started bringing out stuff out of the back and saying "here try this..." I got my hands on Webers, Collings, a Mix Carbon A model, Giocomel, and a mess of Gibsons old and new. My buddy played real old and nice D'Angelicos and Martins and a handful of modern, experimental guitars. It was true kids in a candy shop experience, and one of the best parts for me, is that, aside from a couple of mandos costing $25K or more, there was none that made me want to trade in my Phoenix....

Scott Tichenor
Sep-14-2013, 8:43am
A few previous discussions:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?90680
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?89935
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?71676
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?64495
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?59587
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?31516

Many more depending upon how much you'd like to dig.

EdHanrahan
Sep-14-2013, 9:26am
Haven't (yet) bought a guitar or mando from them, but have had repairs done - definitely high quality work.

Visiting there is a ...

... true kids in a candy shop experience.

AND they've been real helpful on the phone, even though I've only ordered odd & ends.

Probably better to deal with them on a weekday if possible, as weekends can be, well, about as crowded as anywhere else.

And if you're in the area, Retrofret in Brooklyn is also worth the effort. 10 blocks south of the Nevins St. subway stop. Because they're less well known and pretty out-of-the-way (but so is M.B.!), I suspect that weekends are not so crowded, and weekend parking on the street could actually be pretty good. But I've only been there by subway on weekdays.

Dolan
Sep-14-2013, 5:18pm
Thanks everyone. I went to Mandolin Brothers this afternoon. Stan was great. I told him I was a novice about to start lessons and he brought out a couple of Kentucky KM-140s and 150s, taught me some chords and gave a great introduction to the instrument. I left with a 140 and now about to start the learning process. Appreciateevryone's responses.

eastman_315
Sep-14-2013, 7:00pm
I went to Mandolin Brothers this afternoon. Stan was great. I told him I was a novice about to start lessons and he brought out a couple of Kentucky KM-140s and 150s, taught me some chords and gave a great introduction to the instrument. I left with a 140 and now about to start the learning process.Now that's how you do it!

Play on,

Frank

red7flag
Sep-16-2013, 2:51pm
Mandolin Bros I have mixed relations with. When buying banjos, I would contact them first. It would be the highest by far of any dealer. That would give me a ceiling for buying. Since being into mandolins. The prices I have received have been right in line with other dealers. I have bought one used instrument from them. The instrument was as advertised and came with a perfect setup. Now, I would not hesitate to buy from them.

Frank Farley
Sep-16-2013, 3:06pm
I bought a Santa Cruz Tony Rice model dread and a Martin Acoustic Bass from them. Very reputable people. I have nothing but praise for them for my dealings with them.

Jim Garber
Sep-16-2013, 4:16pm
I bought my first Gibson, a 1919 A3 from them back in 1978. Then I bought one of the very first Flatiron carved A5-2 in 1983 (which I still have. I always enjoy visiting, too, of course, and they always have some very interesting vintage instruments.

AlanN
Sep-16-2013, 5:50pm
Wow Jim, you and I probably vied for the same parking space. First time for me was 1978, when I too bought my first Gibson, an early 60's A-40, which I still have (along with the accompanying letter written in StanProse). Then, 1985, a Flatiron F-5 Artist.

And I just last week had an email exchange with Stan himself. Nice guy and upright businessman.

JFDilmando
Sep-16-2013, 8:39pm
I have had many dealings with them over the years. In all cases whoever you talk to is polite, friendly, curtwous, for the most part well informed... They will, for the most part, pass on offers to their selling clients.... I say for the most part, as they will not pass on an offer that they feel is "too low" or not appropriate, regardless of what you might feel. Afterall, they are there for their cut of the pie, and are looking out for themselves as they should. I have had some "issues" with how they conduct business from a sellers perspective. On several occasions, when selling an instrument, they have sold the instrument, and then failed to notify me... If the instrument has languished unsold for some time, one gets to the point of failing to check on it's status on a regular basis.... I have found that they have sat on a sale for several months, and only set on the proceeds after I discovered the sale from seeing the instrument gone from their listings. This has happened twice.... it won't happen again.

Sheryl McDonald
Sep-17-2013, 7:51pm
They went way out of their way to find me a case that fit an old A style with a short neck. I was very impressed with the attention to details they gave.

Jim Garber
Sep-18-2013, 9:34am
Wow Jim, you and I probably vied for the same parking space. First time for me was 1978, when I too bought my first Gibson, an early 60's A-40, which I still have (along with the accompanying letter written in StanProse). Then, 1985, a Flatiron F-5 Artist.

Oh, that was you! :)

I was in a 5-piece old time string band and was playing a cylinder back Vega but i really could not hear myself in the band. So I sold the Vega to my fiddler friend so I could afford the $300 for the white faced 1919 A3. I really did not like the white face look all that much but it was the best A oval on the wall that I played at that time. I think F4s were maybe $1000 or so and Mandolin Brothers had prob the highest prices for vintage instrument at the time.

bmac
Sep-18-2013, 9:43am
In my experience with them as a beginning player, I was more than pleased with the salesman I dealt with. The price of the new instrument was standard, from a dealer. Set up was great. Absolutely no complaints. I would certainly go there again if I was in the market for a new or used one. I believe they have the reputation for not selling junk, even in the less expensive instruments they sell. Their web site will give a good survey of their inventory and prices.

djeffcoat
Sep-22-2013, 8:56pm
Has anyone shopped at or ordered from Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island? How was the experience?

Over the course of 36 years, I have purchased 6 instruments, new or used from Stan Jay. It has always been a positive experience.