PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky KM 380?

multidon
Sep-13-2013, 8:05pm
I am curious about this model. It seems like a lot of the dealers we all know and love like Elderly The Mandolin Store etc skip this model going straight from the 200 series to the KM 500. On the other hand the 380 is carried by big box merchandise outlets like Amazon Music 123 Musicians Friend etc. Was this model made specifically for mass merchandisers? Is it good? If its good then why do the respected stores not carry it? Are they always solid wood or must they carry the s in the model number to be so? Is replacing the rosewood bridge with ebony a worthwhile upgrade? Any info would be appreciated.

lenf12
Sep-14-2013, 10:05am
I can't answer any of your questions on the marketing strategies they use(d) for this model but I bought a used KM-340S a few years ago and quickly swapped out the rosewood bridge for an ebony bridge. Made a significant difference for the better. Was it a difference in the material or the fitting of the bridge? I can't say with certainty because I also changed out the strings at the same time to my favorite set. I guess I introduced too many variables to know for sure which one (or all) made the difference but IMO you can't go wrong by swapping out a RW bridge for a good quality, well fitted ebony bridge.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Folkmusician.com
Sep-16-2013, 7:06pm
Hi Don,

There are currently just over 30 models of Kentucky mandolin in production. While it is possible to stock them all, it may not be profitable. Factor in a few other brands and you quickly have 100 unique models of mandolin and you need to keep more than one of the popular models in stock. Now we have 200 mandolins. It is not just the cost to purchase these, but the space, the huge amount of back-end work keeping track of them, updating descriptions and such when they change, inventory tax at the end of the year, added insurance, etc...

Most dealers will choose to only stock/sell a portion of what a brand offers. In my experience, the KM-380 does not sell as well as the other models. It is actually a nice mandolin though. It is worth upgrading the bridge if you go with a higher grade version. I don't think a budget ebony bridge will be any better than the rosewood bridge it comes with. Mostly it is about the fit of the bridge.

Irénée
Feb-02-2015, 11:27am
Hello !
What difference comparing with the KM-900 model ?
Regards,