PDA

View Full Version : Need help keeping an eye out for a stolen mandolin

KTMmdln
Sep-11-2013, 6:50pm
Hey everyone - I am looking for a little help keeping an eye out for my mandolin. Thieves broke into our house a week ago today and stole pretty much everything. They got my Gibson Sam Bush edition mandolin. I purchased it new from First Quality in 2001. It is a 2001 serial number 10223030 and it had some distinctive pick marks on the top at the scroll and just below the lower f hole. I attached a picture but it's from a few years ago and has more marks basically in the same places now. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

Keith

mrmando
Sep-11-2013, 7:00pm
If you place a Classified ad about the theft, the site owner will make sure it gets a lot of attention.

KTMmdln
Sep-11-2013, 7:08pm
Thank you mrmando. Scott contacted me about that and I am getting an ad set up.

Big Ed
Sep-11-2013, 7:10pm
Where do you live? Bummer about your SB mandolin I have a 2002.

Ed

KTMmdln
Sep-11-2013, 7:37pm
@Big Ed. I live in Ohio north of Dayton. Yeah it's a big bummer it was very special to me. I got it on my 30th birthday in 2001 and thought it was special because the last numbers in the serial are 30. It's like loosing a part of yourself...

Eric C.
Sep-11-2013, 7:44pm
I'm in Ohio and will post to my social media sites. Good luck man.

Wayne Stuvick
Sep-11-2013, 8:01pm
Keith, sorry to hear about your mandolin being stolen. I can't stand thieves, especially low life's who are willing to steal personal property like a fine musical instrument. Hope you had it insured. Don't know what part of Ohio you're in, but I'm going to the Uncle Pen Days at Bean Blossom, Indiana next week and will keep an eye out for it there.

Leon Peoples
Sep-11-2013, 9:38pm
Will be watching for it down here in Tx too, doubt it made it this far South but you never know.
best/joe

rastamypasta
Sep-11-2013, 11:40pm
You should email all the local music stores and pawn shops about this. I know at our store we keep a list of stuff that is reported missing just in case someone comes in to try and sell it. Others might also.

Michael Bridges
Sep-12-2013, 4:24am
Agree with this. This lowlife didn't steal it to play,they'll surely be trying to sell it off somewhere. I hope you recover it, sounds like a nice mando!
You should email all the local music stores and pawn shops about this. I know at our store we keep a list of stuff that is reported missing just in case someone comes in to try and sell it. Others might also.

M.Marmot
Sep-12-2013, 4:45am
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles - stealing an instrument or any tool seems like a special type of wrong.

Not to seem insensitive (and i hope that this will at least help to keep the thread current) but i am wondering about precautions that people have taken with documenting their instruments just in case of scenarios like this.

As things stand, I realise that i have no photographs clearly documenting my mandolin - i have not noted any serial numbers - and i have not (deliberately) applied any distinguishing marks (do people do this with black light markers or customization?)

What are the basic documentary procedures and precautions that one should take with their instrument?

I do hope that this all turns out well for the O.P. - good luck.

Timbofood
Sep-12-2013, 7:49am
Elderly is good about being eagle eyed on such things and might warrant a call or email.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-12-2013, 8:03am
Keith, I sent you a note earlier and i see you are way ahead of me on taking action. I would be sure to make a special contact to Fretware on Mains street in Franklin, Centerville Music, Mike's Music in Cincinnati, all three of the Guitar Centers in Columbus, Cinncy, and Dayton all of those places say they will buy used instruments. Maybe Willis Music too -- they are big. Best of luck -- I suppose the mandolin is only one important thing(s) you lost though.

Sam Ash in Cincinnati too,

Timmando
Sep-12-2013, 8:13am
So sorry to hear about the burglary at your home, and I hope you recover what you can. I know it will be hard to recover a sense of security for awhile. I got burglarized back in 1979, lost a banjo and some other stuff from our bedroom. I had an alarm system that I installed from Radio Shack. It was hi tech back then, magnetic switches on the windows and doors all wired to a siren bolted to the front and back of the house. When they broke in the siren went off and they grabbed what they could quickly see, then they fled. I got a call from a neighbor that the siren was wailing and I went home immediately. We moved out of that area after about 3 months of trying to figure out what to do. I imagine you know to keep a close watch on craigslist, search as many states as you want to, and we can all do the same looking for this mando. The burglars are probably typical low lifes out of downtown dayton, they will look for a fast turnover wherever. Watch at flea markets and ebay (venue used by the first purchaser who may not know it was hot). Good luck.

F5G WIZ
Sep-12-2013, 8:18am
Check the local pawn shops, they are notorious for fencing stolen property and because of Ohio pawn laws are not held accountable for purchasing stolen property. Also if found in one the owner will have to "Buy" it back from the shop for what they paid for it. Sounds crazy but I have been through it after my home was robbed. Luckily none of my instruments were taken, to much to carry I guess and they had no idea what they were worth. But all my wifes jewelry, cameras and some guns were taken. Everything I found was in pawn shops. Had to pay them to get it back. Terrible experience, felt like I got robbed twice.

KTMmdln
Sep-13-2013, 6:23pm
@Eric C - Thank you I appreciate it!

Keith

KTMmdln
Sep-13-2013, 6:27pm
@ Wayne - Thanks I wish I was going.

And thank you to eveyrone. It's been really cool seeing all the replies and help. It just goes to show that when you run across bad people there are many more good people out there.

KTMmdln
Sep-13-2013, 6:36pm
Also I just wanted to let everyone know that it was stolen from my home along with many other things. I am sure they don't know what they have. It will probably be sold to someone that has no idea what it is and may sit in a closet from here on out but who knows... Thanks for all the great suggestions I am working on getting the word out to all the shops.

@M.Marmot - It's amazing the things you think of after it happens. I did take detailed photos of it when I first got it but that was 12 years ago and I can't even find them anymore. I think they may have been on my old computer. One thing I never thought of was your computer getting stolen as well so it doesn't do any good to document it on there if it's a home invasion. You really need them on a flash drive or something that you can stick in a safe or hide really good. I have a million photos of me playing it but no good close ups of the entire thing or a close up of the label inside it.

KTMmdln
Sep-13-2013, 6:41pm
@Timmando - I asked the sheriff about the best thing to do and he said you really can't stop a burglar. He said you can end up spending a lot of money on home security and all that does is time box them a little but doesn't stop them. He said the best thing you can do is to catch them. I have installed infra red cameras that work off of motion sensors around the house so if it happens again I can at least get video of them and maybe a license plate number.

William Smith
Sep-13-2013, 7:06pm
Sorry this had to happen to you, I'll be on the lookout around my area for ya. With the best of luck it'll turn up. My uncle had some instruments stolen and the banjo was recovered "I wont say how because it might be discouraging" the guitar is still MIA and might've wound up where the banjo was found!
Thieves should be shot if one is home while its happening but they wait till your humble abode is empty!

DataNick
Sep-13-2013, 7:35pm
So sorry Bro that this happened...my roomie had his Gibson 1978 ES Artist Electric Guitar stolen from a home break-in years ago...call me paranoid but that's why wherever I go, my best 2 mandos in my stable go with me...and I don't leave em in the car, they come right to my cube at work with me...

As I like to say, you can break into the house, steal my BMW, but ya ain't gettin' my "sugar-stick" mandos...

Best Wishes in your recovery, I know the Gibson Sam Bush is real nice, played one this year...

barney 59
Sep-13-2013, 8:10pm
Put up a search on ebay and start spending time going through craigslist ads.