PDA

View Full Version : GHS A string replacement question

claude.meyer
Sep-11-2013, 3:08am
On my oval hole, I like the sound and feeling of GHS A260 Osborne signature set .... but for me the 016 A string is too "heavy". I imagine to replace with GHS 015 so that the final result will be 11 15 24 38. Is it better to buy the set with extra plain, or to buy all separate strings ? It seems that FQMS can do that. Have you an other alternative, I prefer GHS sound but most of their sets use 016 A strings, or you need to buy light sets ?

Phil Goodson
Sep-11-2013, 6:17am
Compare prices of each option????

Tobin
Sep-11-2013, 7:33am
Depends on where you buy them for the pricing options, but just as an example (using prices from Juststrings.com):

If you buy the complete set plus a pair of .015 strings, it would be $4.89 + 2x$0.68, for a total of $6.25.

If you buy them all individually, it would be 4x$1.44 + 4x$0.68, for a total of $8.48.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd buy the set you like, and just add the pair of .015 strings as extras.

claude.meyer
Sep-11-2013, 8:07am
My question is more on opportunity to alter the balance of manufacturer's set. Does anybody else on the forum already replace for instance the GHS 16 gauge for a lighter one ? Or do you prefer to use a set like it is ?

buchrob
Sep-11-2013, 8:55am
The pre-organized sets by the major manufacturers do a fairly decent job of accommodating the typical consumer. But putting strings on your mandolin is like putting tires on your racing car... it's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

I have a collection of individual strings I bought in bulk from Just Strings and I am not shy at all to swap out any particular string for something heavier or lighter on any particular instrument, depending on the desired performance. Some folks will like additional stiffness, while others coming from the electric guitar background would rather have a lighter touch at the expense of some projection. Often going up or down a gauge will also help balance out the tone more to your liking.

Tobin
Sep-11-2013, 12:37pm
I have a collection of individual strings I bought in bulk from Just Strings and I am not shy at all to swap out any particular string for something heavier or lighter on any particular instrument, depending on the desired performance. Some folks will like additional stiffness, while others coming from the electric guitar background would rather have a lighter touch at the expense of some projection. Often going up or down a gauge will also help balance out the tone more to your liking.

I have experimented with changing individual string sizes too. My MK Legacy FSE has very wimpy E-string tone/volume, so I ended up changing it from .011 to .0115 to compensate. No ill effects were noted.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the manufacturers have any sort of magical formula they use for balancing string sets (other than looking at tension charts). They just put the gauge combinations together that sell the most, and rely on consumers to tell them what is most popular. Given the wide range of instrument quality and types out there, it would be impossible to formulate a set of strings for any specific balance across the board. So swapping one pair out for a different gauge shouldn't be any problem. I'd bet the makers would do it themselves if enough people asked them to.

A recent example was Chris Thile's endorsement of D'Addario strings. He "rolls his own" custom string set using gauges mixed from at least two of their standard sets. There was a lot of interest expressed here on the Cafe for D'Addario turning that into some sort of Chris Thile signature series of strings with just that mixture of gauges.

ddawson2010
Sep-12-2013, 12:50pm
Don from D'Addario here - it looks like we'll be coming out with an EXP Hybrid set in the gauges that Chris uses early in 2014.

Tobin
Sep-13-2013, 7:31am
Yes!!! :mandosmiley:

clintradcliff
Oct-14-2014, 2:45pm
Any update on the new Chris Thile set of strings?

mandroid
Oct-14-2014, 3:08pm
packet says the A is a 16, so you just have to buy some loop end 15's

plain steel wire is probably all bought from Mapes irregardless of the sellers brand for the set.