PDA

View Full Version : Godin A-8

hellindc
Feb-14-2005, 10:39pm
First, thanks to those who responed to my earlier question about the difference between high-priced and low end Ovation electrics. Now I want to ask about the Godin A-8.

In other posts it's gotten a lot of praise, from Scott himself in one message. Two posts concern me, though both were in the context of very positive overall feedback. One refers to a tendency of the top G string to jump its course when aggressively chopped. Another simply said, in praise of the overall responsiveness of the instrument, that you can't "dig in" as with a normal acoustic.

Our band does a number of hard core blues, and I'm not very shy about how I attack the strings on these particular songs. Any comments? Should I be wary? I do play a lot of fills and rythm with a lighter touch, but what about the hard double stops and tremelos? Will the Godin take it? (I certainly will try to sample the instrument first, but they are not always available locally.)

Thanks.

johnsmusic
Feb-15-2005, 2:52pm
I use an A-8 every summer for our beach gigs, Rock and Roll band. I use one all summer, sell it in the fall and get a new one for spring. (I'm a dealer) I think that they are great, especially for what you are doing. I have encountered the problem that you mentioned, but it is not a big deal, I just take a nut file and take the string a little deeper into the bridge. It is an easy fix. A local luthier could handle it or if you are careful, you can do it. John

hellindc
Feb-15-2005, 11:14pm
Thanks, John. I'm going to look around and play one, and I like it look for one in the classified or ebay -- or who knows, buy yours at the end of this summer.

mandroid
Feb-16-2005, 11:56pm
I had one for awhile, knocking the top G off its perch into the space inbetween was an issue, so one would be aware of that, turn up the amp and you no longer have to whack it so hard was the solution.
A Custom tailpiece that is longer, ending much closer to the bridge and exactly the same width would be nice.

frankseanez
Mar-02-2005, 6:56pm
I have commonly had this experience with my Godin A-8, mostly on the G and E strings. That's one of the reasons that my Godin A-8 will soon be heading to the classified section, as well. Otherwise, it's a pretty good instrument!

Frank http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandocrucian
Mar-03-2005, 12:28am
I have commonly had this experience with my Godin A-8, mostly on the G and E strings. #That's one of the reasons that my Godin A-8 will soon be heading to the classified section, as well. #Otherwise, it's a pretty good instrument!

Frank http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
And I thought I'd heard it all!!!

That's like throwing out a phase shifter or overdrive stomp box because the batteries died! #Or seling off your car because it needs a brake job.

Get a slightly higher nut with deeper string slots put onto the instrument. Pay someone $30 to do it, or buy a few blanks and do it yourself.

No wait....keep the existing nut... cut the slots a little deeper and then shim it with a piece of business card or veneer.

Mandocrucian

frankseanez
Mar-03-2005, 8:12am
Actually, you've probably heard the one about the spouse complaining about the proliferation of instruments before. I've also got a brand new 8 string Fender electric mando, a 1985 Flatiron A, and a 5 string Zeta that may be available, as well. All are sacrifices to the tradeup and the ever changing search for peace in the valley. I might keep the Zeta, as well as the Mandobird I picked up here on the classifieds, just as backups. I'm a hobbyist, not a collector, Jim!

Frank

P.S. You mean you can change the batteries in a tubescreamer? Dang! Thanks for the Illumination!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mandroid
Mar-03-2005, 2:20pm
You can always spend up, Brian Moore elec mando uses the same RMC bridge piece/pickup,type'w', 8 string 2 per pickup . thru the body ball end strings, dig to the max.
I wouldn't get the 13 pin version though, just mono output.