PDA

View Full Version : Is back and sides Koa or Mahogany?

Capt. E
Sep-09-2013, 1:09pm

Just picked up this nice "Sovereign" made by Oscar Schmidt. Seller said the back and sides are old growth koa? Can anyone confirm from just looking at the photo above?

I thought it was so pretty, couldn't resist buying it. I like these old bent tops and it seemed to be in excellent shape. Here's the original ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920S-SOVEREIGN-MANDOLIN-BY-OSCAR-SCHMIDT-OLD-GROWTH-KOA-CANVAS-CASE-/151113021950?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=70huXw%252FNSaIj0jwg6zA1QHeYjYo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

mandroid
Sep-09-2013, 1:53pm
my guess : Mahogany not being there , it's a guess..

C.F.Martin did Koa Ukes and Mandolins , top Koa too

Dale Ludewig
Sep-09-2013, 2:11pm
Looks like mahogany to me.

Capt. E
Sep-09-2013, 2:42pm
Well, that is what I thought when I bought it...I went with mahogany when making the decision. Now, the head stock laminate is Koa.

Jim Garber
Sep-09-2013, 2:51pm
Well, that is what I thought when I bought it...I went with mahogany when making the decision. Now, the head stock laminate is Koa.

I am no wood expert but I have seen a fair amount. I would say that the headstock overlay is rosewood.

Capt. E
Sep-09-2013, 3:26pm
Duh, you're right, Rosewood: pretty. A nice mandolin at a pretty good price. Looks almost unplayed. I perhaps paid a bit much, but not too bad. I've done a lot worse.

multidon
Sep-09-2013, 3:28pm
"Sovereign" used to be the designation for the upper line of Oscar Schmidt, as opposed to "Stella" for the low end. Koa would be my guess. This wood looks similar to that used in all koa bodied guitars branded "sovereign". The koa they used was usually not figured. Plain koa sometimes looks similar to mahogany. This body wood may have been stained a little redder than koa normally is to better match the neck wood, which is probably mahogany. In the old days manufacturers worried more about a consistent shade overall than we do these days. If it is koa given its probable age it would indeed be old growth. Google pictures of Oscar Schmidt Sovereign and you will see what I mean.

Jim Garber
Sep-09-2013, 3:48pm
That is a nice little mandolin. B&S could be koa as multidon says. I hope it needs little or no work. That is a nice one and looks to be in good shape. Prob in the same basic realm for tone etc as a Martin. I think you prob did fine, maybe not the steal of the decade but reasonable.

brunello97
Sep-09-2013, 6:01pm
I don't know, the price may be a bit high, but these are creeping up. Looks to be in good shape and Sovereigns are good mandolins from my experience. Word is out on them (thanks, Jake :crying:) so the nice deals are probably history. Action looks a bit high in the ad photo, but that bridge also looks like it has some room for adjustment. If the neck is okay I think you made a good score. The nameplate is a bit clunky but that won't effect the sound....

Mick

Capt. E
Sep-10-2013, 9:04am
Thanks for the comments and details about "Sovereign" instruments. I remember trying out a Sovereign dreadnaught guitar once that was one of the better sounding guitars in the shop at the time, including Gibsons and Martins. I believe the b&s on it was also koa.
You always take a chance buying on ebay, but the only problem I really saw was the wavy pickguard. The neck does look straight, frets clean, no cracks, all binding solid, nice inlay etc. As far as the action is concerned, I suspect with light strings it may not be too high. I'll lower the bridge a bit if necessary. I'll report when I get it and have a chance to evaluate. Probably will be a nice mandolin to keep in the office or for traveling. I even have a nice spare hard case (1960's A case with a Gibson plate).

Jim Garber
Sep-10-2013, 9:40am
There are some nice pics of another similar Sovereign mandolin starting here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1139&attachmentid=74709). That one looks like mahogany B&S and possibly original bridge. The current bridge on yours does look a little clunky to me and prob not original.

Capt. E
Sep-10-2013, 1:52pm
Just got it. It is in very nice shape and, as expected, it is definitely mahogany. The only thing it needs is a new bridge (or at least the current one needs lowering). I agree it is a bit chunky. Looks homemade. It is playable at present, but the action is really too high. Thanks for the pix of similars (exactly the same model) with original bridge. Mine might be in a little better shape. Now I know what to look for.

It has a nice big, woody sound in the lower end and the high end is pretty good. It's a lot like the Martins I have seen. Going to be a nice player when I get the bridge taken care of. All in all, not a bad purchase.
The old case is pretty solid with good mojo. It needs some airing out and a repair to one strap. My vintage hard Gibson case is a bit big, but will protects it better than the original (at least until it gets evicted by a caseless A-50, A-40, A-00.

stevedenver
Sep-10-2013, 3:39pm
I am no wood expert but I have seen a fair amount. I would say that the headstock overlay is rosewood.
totally agree headstock is rosewood, likely Indian
back is mahog

Jim Garber
Sep-10-2013, 4:39pm
Might even be Brazilian from that era. Very common at that time, in fact i am not sure how much Indian was being used then.

stevedenver
Sep-10-2013, 4:45pm
Might even be Brazilian from that era. Very common at that time, in fact i am not sure how much Indian was being used then.

on second gander-
no doubt, your dead on, especially from the 20's which I didn't catch

its so nicely and evenly grained

-I initially thought indian, but it does have that red
and im not used to seeing really GOOD instrument quality (ie straight even grained) older braz -

brunello97
Sep-10-2013, 7:10pm
on second gander-
no doubt, your dead on, especially from the 20's which I didn't catch....and im not used to seeing really GOOD instrument quality (ie straight even grained) older braz -

When you think about how much high quality SA and CA hardwoods that was streaming into central Great Lakes furniture manufacturies during this period, you could probably maintain a stringed instrument industry just on the fall off. Comp the quality of rosewood on even MOR US mandolins in the '00s and '10s to what was coming out of Italy, for instance, at the same time. Okay, there is no comparison. It was simply great, great wood.

Mick

Capt. E
Sep-11-2013, 9:34am
Just lowered the bridge about a third (now around 3/32 at 10th) and it plays great, frets well up the neck. Not a banjo killer by any means, but quite acceptable.

Yeah, the headstock must be Brazilian. Very pretty.

Numbers stamped on the brace inside the sound hole: 30 (or 80) then space and 07642 Any records on serial number for these?