PDA

View Full Version : My humble, beautiful Eastman MD305

Jamie S
Sep-08-2013, 9:28am

I bought this through the classifieds section here on the Mandolin Cafe and I have say to say that I am delighted.

I decided that although I am a relatively new player and have a lot to learn, I may as well do that learning on a well-made and sympathetically set-up mandolin. In terms of bang for your buck, I don't think you can do better than the Eastman 350 for so many reasons.

I have been playing on a Vintage mandolin (the make, not the age) which is a pretty basic model of the Stagg variety. Immediately I could see why getting a very cheap mandolin is not a good idea for a learning player. The action on those things are set so high that you become really hampered by the amount of effort required to push the string onto the fret. The Eastman is perfectly set-up - this one was set up by Simon Mayor himself (www.mandolin.co.uk) and is just perfect. Only a small amount of pressure is needed, but there is also no buzzing at all. For a learning player that is perfect as I can concentrate on hand position, rhythm and all those other issues - as well as being able to play difficult four-finger chords and pinkie notes much more easily.

She's entry level and the cheapest model that Eastman make - but Eastman's cheap is most manufacturers best. I love the matt finish, and the volume, sustain and pitch are lovely.

I'm as happy as the proverbial pig in ****! :grin:

Cay
Sep-08-2013, 10:43am
I love your humble Eastman! I started out with a very cheap mandolin too and after a few weeks of practice my teacher told me about this unbelievable sounding Eastman 505A that he'd played in a shop a couple hours away. He said it was a hidden gem and sounded as good as one of his mandolins that cost 3 times as much. I sold jewelry to buy it-That's how beautiful it sounded! What a difference it made in my practice. I wonder what makes one mandolin (or any instrument really) so much better than others that are exactly the same make and model and made the same way by the same people? Is it that particular piece of wood or the humidity on the particular days it's made that makes it stand out from others that are exactly the same? Anyway. I guess that question is for another thread. As I said I love your Eastman. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

JeffD
Sep-08-2013, 10:51am
That Eastman 305 is a nice mandolin. It could make you happy for the rest of your life. If you decide some day to "upgrade" it will not be because this mandolin has failed you.

Jamie S
Sep-08-2013, 11:27am
Cay - many thanks! Regarding differences between the same mandolins - I think it is a lot to do with the set-up, and also because mine is second-hand it has had some use and the body has changed in response. It has a very warm sound that I've never heard from my cheap Vintage and even cheaper Stagg.

Jeff - When I upgrade it will probably be to another Eastman, probably a mid-range quality F-style, but this beauty will be my first love!

Bill Clements
Sep-08-2013, 11:30am
Nice mandolin.
My first mandolin was an Eastman and they are a good value.
Enjoy!

Ron McMillan
Sep-08-2013, 11:44am
I love the understated look of the 305. I bet you get many good years out of it.

rm

jessejsaunders
Sep-08-2013, 8:49pm
Great looking MD305! I've been spoiled borrowing a friend's MD615, but am currently selling off some electric guitar gear to buy an MD305. To my hands, the Eastmans just kill everything else anywhere near their price range.

Jim Ferguson
Sep-08-2013, 10:16pm
Sweet looking 305 Jamie.......congrats.
I had an Eastman MD515.........a nice mando & beautiful look to it.
Enjoy your new mando.
Peace,

pickloser
Sep-09-2013, 5:13pm
Congratulations, and I hope you enjoy your fine mandolin for a long time to come. You made an excellent choice.

almeriastrings
Sep-09-2013, 5:35pm
I have been playing on a Vintage mandolin (the make, not the age) which is a pretty basic model of the Stagg variety. Immediately I could see why getting a very cheap mandolin is not a good idea for a learning player. The action on those things are set so high that you become really hampered by the amount of effort required to push the string onto the fret.

That's precisely why we are always advising newer players to go that bit extra and get a really nice, good sounding and well-set up instrument. It inspires you to practice and makes practicing a pleasure, not a pain. Also, hearing a good tone from your efforts is hugely rewarding, and again, really drives you on to play more, and play better. A poor instrument does the opposite. Many players of poor instruments give up. It really does make that much difference.

Those MD305's are a really nice mandolin and perfect for players who want something that sounds, plays (and looks) very good at a very reasonable price. With the KM-505, I personally think they are top of the heap for "serious" students looking for an A-model.

Jamie S
Sep-10-2013, 11:14am
Yes, it really makes a difference being in a position to focus on other issues of my playing unhampered by a badly set-up and flat sounding mandolin.

I just want to pick the damn thing up all the time and bang out a tune!