PDA

View Full Version : Martin Mandolin Question

mdsmith
Sep-05-2013, 8:01pm
Hey guys, I had a question regarding a Martin mandolin. I have the opportunity to buy a 1974 Martin A style mandolin. It has a flat top and back, and an oval soundhole. It seems to be in very good condition. they're asking 500.00 for it, and I was wondering if that is a fair price. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

UncleNorm
Sep-05-2013, 8:15pm
Yes. Probably low end of range these go for.

allenhopkins
Sep-05-2013, 8:20pm
Bargain. Paid $750 for my 1924 Style A, with a case. Martin mandolins aren't "fashionable," but they're by and large immaculately constructed, and have a nice sweet voice. I'd go for it, had I not one already.

mdsmith
Sep-05-2013, 8:26pm
Great, thanks guys. I'm pretty confident that I can talk them down to 450.00. It doesn't have a case though. I've owned mandolins before, but don't currently have one, so this will be my only one. Is this style of mandolin a good all around mandolin? I mainly play with my dad, and we'll do a few fiddle tunes, then some slow blues stuff and things like "Copperhead Road".

brunello97
Sep-05-2013, 8:53pm
Yup. $450? Strike the deal.

Got my '51 Martin on my lap right now after a summer away. Clam happy.

Mick

Shelagh Moore
Sep-06-2013, 5:10am
Excellent deal, nice mandolin.

Steve L
Sep-06-2013, 8:17am
It's a good mandolin at a very good price, but most definitely not a bluegrass instrument if that matters to you.

mdsmith
Sep-06-2013, 8:35am
It's a good mandolin at a very good price, but most definitely not a bluegrass instrument if that matters to you.

I don't think I need an actual bluegrass instrument. I really like the type of stuff on the Garcia / Grisman cd Shady Grove. I know that Grisman isn't playing a Martin, but would the Martin work for this kind of stuff? I guess it would be old timey music.

allenhopkins
Sep-06-2013, 10:33am
Martins are good for old-timey, Celtic, general-purpose "folk," and even classical music. With their canted-top construction, to my ears they have a sound midway between a bowl-back, and a carved-top oval-hole instrument.

If you can get it for under $500, and it doesn't meet your needs, you could turn around and sell it for $6-700, in all probability. Limited risk transaction, IMHO.

jaycat
Sep-06-2013, 10:42am
I just picked up a '76 Martin A a couple of weeks ago for $400. Very happy with it. I say go for it, you won't be sorry.

EdHanrahan
Sep-06-2013, 10:50am
YES, go for it!

My '54 came to just over $400, with minor cosmetic issues. Fortunately, the eBay photos seemed a fair bit worse than how it looks in real life. Despite my and jaycat's experience (above), I'd say that $400 is way lower than you should expect to pay, esecially for a fairly nice example.

djeffcoat
Sep-09-2013, 8:53pm
I have 1974 Martin A model, a lefty. Bought it new from Mandolin Bros for $275. Good quality, better for Celtic than bluegrass. $500 seems like a reasonably low price.

Capt. E
Sep-10-2013, 9:28am
Yes, good instrument for old-time fiddle tunes, general folk, hymns, celtic and classical. Great instrument if you play in church or just sitting on the porch. I had a 1926 Martin style B (rosewood back) that I never should have sold. One reason I bought another flatback just the other day.

Michael Weaver
Sep-10-2013, 10:59am
No, I wouldn't do it! Now, what store is it located in? ;)

acousticphd
Sep-12-2013, 12:43pm
To me playability would be the key. I would look very closely at the neck, namely fingerboard relief, action in the playing zone, and bridge height. These mandos only have ~1/4" of bridge height so there is minimal room for adjusting if the action needs to come down.

mdsmith
Sep-17-2013, 10:56am
WEll, I'm going to pick it up today. I did some shopping around, and had the chance to play several The Loar and Kentucky mandolins in the same price range. I really came down to the Martin and The Loar 400. I love them both, but at the end of the day, the Martin won. I love the tone, the look, and tha fact that it's made in the U.S. I'll post some pictures asap. Thank you all for your advice.

brunello97
Sep-20-2013, 7:51pm
Two $1K Martin As in the Classifieds right now. So, if these sellers are to be believed you can get a Martin A (at either end of the production lifespan) for around what a '10s Gibson A is going for. :confused:

It seems that there has been an interesting escalation of Martin prices and a (relative) stability in early Gibson As. I'm blessed to have one of each, but am wondering what others' thoughts are on the whole phenomenon. Is the Martin price escalation sustainable? To my ear, a 8-900$ teens Gibson A is a very good $/quality value. My quadrophenia of Gibson-Martin-Vinaccia-Schwab is more than I ever deserve (and enough to keep me happy for decades.)

I realize this is a complex (and ill-defined) question, but am interested in opening the conversation. A surprising number of both models are available yet the prices are nudging towards equilibrium.

Since this is a Martin thread, that's where I'd hope to keep the focus: the $1K Martin A. Sounds nutty, but there they are on the Classifieds. Someone thinks someone will bite.

Weigh in.

Mick

mdsmith
Sep-23-2013, 3:49pm
1k - Wow ! I'll let mine go for 700.00. Lol.

Steve L
Sep-24-2013, 8:09am
Asking a grand for a Martin mando and getting it are two very different things. They're very nice but not that nice IMHO. Still, I was in a music store yesterday and someone was trying to sell a "vintage" Zim Gar electric guitar for $800. Ya never know.