PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas

ChrisWallace
Feb-14-2005, 11:19am
Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to the world of the electric mando and I'm trying to get my hands on some CDs of bands that use electric mando in a very dirty, distorted rock & roll type way.

Is there such a beast? My primary band is a bluesy, punk rock thing and my guitar player loves to play loud and with plenty of distortion. I'm trying to figure out a way to make my electric fit in and most of my "repertoire" is strictly acoustic bluegrass and jazz stuff.

Also, right now I'm playing with a Fender tube amp and I have a distortion pedal that I use but that's it. Are there any other pedals that you guys use to give yourself a grittier, thicker more "rockish" sound?

Any advice would be much appreciated? Thanks!!

keith_rowan
Feb-14-2005, 12:39pm
Check out String Cheese Incident
http://www.stringcheeseincident.com/

mrmando
Feb-14-2005, 3:58pm
Go to emando.com and look up Maestro Alex Gregory. I can sell you a copy of his "12 Jokes for Heavy Metal Mandolin."

dunbarhamlin
Feb-15-2005, 7:02am
Overdrive your amp, maybe add some flanger. Use a compressor to counter short string sustain issues and forget about tremolo. To emulate the filthyness of a powered zouk or to compete with the quitar on equal terms, try an octaver.

Don't worry about discord when bending up. Lightly palm mute to take away some of the tinny-ness except when you want to screech the guitarist into oblivion.

Can't practice this style quietly, so advise your neighbours to take a round the world trip http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ChrisWallace
Feb-16-2005, 11:24am
Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice so far. I picked up that CD from emando.com (it looks very interesting) and I actually picked up an octave pedal last night after testing it out at the local GC. The thing is pretty crazy. I didn't realize a mandolin could sound like a bass!! I guess anything's is possible with technology nowadays.

Oh well, I just wanted to say thanks and, if anyone has any other suggestions, I would certainly appreciate them.