PDA

View Full Version : Nava "Standard Custom"

GarY Nava
Sep-03-2013, 11:05am
Hi Guys,
here’s my latest mandolin- this is one of my “Standard” mandolins, but with the optional upgrade of a herringbone rosette, which must make this one, a “Standard Custom”?
Visually, the Brazilian mahogany back, sides and neck, the cocobolo fretboard and bridge and thuya burl details work incredibly well, all really complementing each other nicely. It’s only been strung up for a few hours but already I’m very happy with its woody tone. Hope you like it.:)
Cheers Gary

JEStanek
Sep-03-2013, 12:06pm
That's a handsome mandolin... it just oozes warmth with those browns.

Jamie

billhay4
Sep-03-2013, 12:48pm
Nice, Gary. That is some beautiful mahogany.
Bill

Shelagh Moore
Sep-03-2013, 1:01pm
Beautiful work as always Gary.

Tavy
Sep-03-2013, 1:42pm
Very nice - classy indeed!

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-04-2013, 2:08am
"Simply" gorgeous Gary !. Wood is one of my 2 very favourite materials & too often we don't let it's simple beauty unfold. This mandolin is quite the opposite.Simple in looks,but with such stunning woods,it just oozes class,
Ivan

GarY Nava
Sep-04-2013, 10:26am
"Simply" gorgeous Gary !. Wood is one of my 2 very favourite materials & too often we don't let it's simple beauty unfold. This mandolin is quite the opposite.Simple in looks,but with such stunning woods,it just oozes class,
Ivan
Many thanks for the very positive comment, Ivan. I'm intrigued, what's your other favourite material?
Cheers Gary

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-05-2013, 2:25am
Hi Gary - Leather. The different leathers from different parts of different animals ( i'm talking 'domestic' here,) all prepared in different ways amount to a heck of a lot of beautiful material in many textures for use in furniture,clothing,belts,shoes, instrument straps etc. Like wood,it's a beautiful natural material,& much like wood,if treated right,the older it gets,the more beautiful it gets,
Ivan

Pete Jenner
Sep-05-2013, 2:49am
( i'm talking 'domestic' here,)
Ivan

Despite there being myriad ways to skin a cat, the leather would be a little thin to be useful. :whistling:

Ron McMillan
Sep-05-2013, 3:01am
Another lovely piece of work. The customer whose name is on the label is going to be one happy guy.

ron

Daniel Nestlerode
Sep-05-2013, 7:42am
That is a lovely instrument. Reminds me that I need to get up to Norfolk one of these days for a visit!

:)
Daniel

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-06-2013, 3:11am
Good Lord Peter - not THAT domestic !!!,:disbelief:
Ivan;)

Pete Jenner
Sep-06-2013, 10:46am
good lord peter - not that domestic !!!,:disbelief:
Ivan;)

oic. :) :) :)

Jake Wildwood
Sep-08-2013, 4:11pm
Gosh, your mandos are pretty! ...and elegant.

GarY Nava
Sep-10-2013, 11:10am
Thanks again for all the positive comments. Just uploaded a video, for your amusement!
Cheers Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LVwUG2-Uw&feature=share&list=UUFCmPCdQiPScLpNBek2nhYA

Avi Ziv
Sep-10-2013, 2:25pm
Beautiful mandolin, Gary!