PDA

View Full Version : Weber Recertification Program

Mandolindian
Sep-02-2013, 7:16pm
Has anybody sent their Weber back to Weber for Recertification?
I have a 2000 Yellowstone that I bought used and plan on keeping forever and thinking about this program.

foldedpath
Sep-02-2013, 8:01pm
Interesting... I didn't know about this program. I have a Yellowstone F-style octave mandolin bought used, and I also plan on keeping for the long-term.

Just thinking out loud here about the pros and cons... Lifetime instrument warranties tend to be most valuable in the first few years, because that's when most manufacturing defects will usually show up. After that, the instrument is settled-in, and there is less chance that it will suddenly blow up on you. Especially an instrument in this class and price range.

The re-certification includes a truss rod setup and general check-out, but I do my own truss rod adjustments and I think I can spot any developing problems with an instrument. So we're back to the main benefit being a $300 insurance policy against a manufacturing defect that hasn't shown up yet. Actually, probably more like $500 by the time I pay shipping and insurance both ways (Weber makes the world's heaviest plywood F-style OM case!). This OM seems pretty settled-in by now. Nothing has moved in the several years I've owned it, so I think I'll pass.

I can see this being attractive to someone who bought a used Weber and doesn't do their own setup work, or doesn't have a good local luthier to work with. Or just wants the peace of mind with a lifetime warranty. I think I'll pass on it, for now, but it's nice that they offer the option.

JEStanek
Sep-02-2013, 8:54pm
I did something like that with Weber before they had this program when I bought a used Beartooth. I think it is good insurance on an instrument should there be any issues with it down the road. In consideration for what a new or used Weber costs, that's a small expense for a great deal of peace of mind. You also get a good once over from Weber and can get a great set up while it's with them.

Jamie

foldedpath
Sep-02-2013, 9:10pm
Yeah, but it's not really a small expense for something like this OM, with the shipping and insurance costs thrown in. I got dinged pretty hard for insurance, the last time I shipped an instrument like this.

Again, not knocking the concept. Peace of mind will be worth different amounts of cash to different people.

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-03-2013, 2:07am
There should also be a means whereby any Weber owner outside the US can re-certify their instrument via the 'original vendor'. To send an instrument back to the US frome Europe or 'wherever' would be very costly indeed,
Ivan

greg_tsam
Sep-03-2013, 9:07pm
I sold a Bitter Root and the new owner wisely took my suggestion to send it to Weber and recertify it. I knew that the action was high but Bruce ended up replacing the fret board or something like that and the new owner got a better than new mando for used price. I'd say it was worth the $200. A+ service from Weber.