PDA

View Full Version : Requests from a long distance...

Willie Poole
Sep-02-2013, 9:48am
On Sunday when my band was playing, a young lady kept coming up to the stage and asking us to do her requests, she must have made about six of them so when we took a break I went over to talk to her and she said she was sending the songs to her mother who was in Florida at the time...She had one of the electronic gizmos (I don`t know what they are called) but she was forwarding them to her mother and her mother would make requests via that device, I am not sure if she was sending pictures or just sound....She said her mother played the banjo in a group in Florida and I was going to ask the name of the band because I spend the winters in Florida and thought I would look her up if possible...The young lady left before I could get that info so maybe she will be back when we play there the next time...

One other time there was fellow doing videos and sending them out on the Internet and he was taking calls for requests, so with these new fangled electronic devices we never know who might be listening at our shows any more....One thing in our favor is that we do all dress alike with the same colored shirts and pants so we look like we care...somewhat anyway...

Just thought I would share this with you to see if any others had this same experience....

Cheers....Willie

allenhopkins
Sep-02-2013, 4:53pm
(No Bluegrass Content):

Played Burlingham Books, bookstore and coffeehouse, in Perry NY on Veterans' Day a couple years ago. One of the songs I did was Eric Bogle's The Band Played 'Waltzing Matilda,' which is about Australian soldiers at the battle of Gallipoli in WWI. The owner asked me to start again, while she dialed up her husband in Australia so he could hear it over cell phone.

Furthest my music's ever gone, far as I know,

Tobin
Sep-03-2013, 4:12pm
She had one of the electronic gizmos (I don`t know what they are called) but she was forwarding them to her mother and her mother would make requests via that device, I am not sure if she was sending pictures or just sound.
I'm not sure, but I think they call that device a "mobile phone".

Willie Poole
Sep-04-2013, 12:08pm
Tobin...I have no idea what those things are called, I was in Best Buy one day and a salesman was showing me things and I got such a headache trying keep up with him that I just said "No Thanks" and went home, I am too old for this new stuff, I don`t own a cell phone or a GPS system, haven`t needed one all of my life so why start now....

I am so old that I remember when the Big dipper was just a small tin cup up in the sky...Lol

Thanks for your explanation though...

Willie

allenhopkins
Sep-04-2013, 11:38pm
Hey, Willie, when I started playing mandolin, the Dead Sea was just sick...

M.Marmot
Sep-05-2013, 3:01am
When i read 'Requests From a Long Distance' i was sure that it was also going to be the title of a bluegrass song - it really should be - get on that somebody :mandosmiley: