PDA

View Full Version : A new buzzing sound

OU1
Aug-31-2013, 11:28pm
Evening mandolin cafe....
I was picking on my mandolin tonight and discovered a very small but detectable buzzing sound on my top A string......any ideas for correction? Time for new strings? Thanks in advance for any replies...love to play, but I am not an expert on these kinds of problems...any words words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....Scott

BTW.....college football in full swing today, so I have to say: GO SOONERS!

Jim
Sep-01-2013, 12:24am
Damp the strings below the bridge and above the nut to eliminate the tailpiece or tuners as source of buzz. If there is a pick guard hold it down & see if buzz persists. Fret the buzzing string to see if buzz is on all frets and /or where it stops ( which would indicate a high or loose fret) Raise bridge a little to see if that fixes buzz. If raising bridge fixes problem check for sinking top, though it might just be change in humidity.

Big Joe
Sep-01-2013, 6:55am
A good first place to apart is with a string change. If the strings are ol or defective they will cause a buzz and nothing will get rid of it until you do change strings. If they look worn or damaged that is especially the first place to start. Just asking the question indicates it is likely time for a change.

bmac
Sep-01-2013, 8:50am
Lots of different possibilities... you can usually find the cause by pressing a finger on the various metal components of the instrument while plucking the offending string... The finger pressure will dampen the vibration of the offending part... Tailpiece is a common cause. Peg head is often where the problem lies as well... something as minor as a string end touching metal can do it. A loose screw, ill fitted tailpiece cover. I keep a small piece of felt handy and use it when I find a vibration. it will deaden the vibration until a better solution can be found. I have found that looking for the problem is usually not effective... Touching various parts while plucking will locate the problem quickly and then your eyes can find the problem. These vibration problems are seldom serious and always findable with a little patience.

lenf12
Sep-01-2013, 9:29am
A good first place to apart is with a string change. If the strings are ol or defective they will cause a buzz and nothing will get rid of it until you do change strings. If they look worn or damaged that is especially the first place to start. Just asking the question indicates it is likely time for a change.

I am always amazed at how many problems are resolved with a simple string change. +1 to Big Joe's advice as "the" starting point to finding and fixing your buzzing sound. At the very least, you are eliminating one possible source.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Tommcgtx
Sep-01-2013, 2:20pm
Frets.com has an excellent "Buzz Diagnosis" section, as well as lots of other useful information.
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

OU1
Sep-01-2013, 2:34pm
Damp the strings below the bridge and above the nut to eliminate the tailpiece or tuners as source of buzz. If there is a pick guard hold it down & see if buzz persists. Fret the buzzing string to see if buzz is on all frets and /or where it stops ( which would indicate a high or loose fret) Raise bridge a little to see if that fixes buzz. If raising bridge fixes problem check for sinking top, though it might just be change in humidity.

Thank you so much...I'll start the process of elimination...we have had tons of rain during the past week or so....I am not going to rule out a humidity change.

OU1
Sep-01-2013, 2:35pm

Thanks Joe, string change is first on the list, I appreciate the reply.

OU1
Sep-01-2013, 2:37pm
Lots of different possibilities... you can usually find the cause by pressing a finger on the various metal components of the instrument while plucking the offending string... The finger pressure will dampen the vibration of the offending part... Tailpiece is a common cause. Peg head is often where the problem lies as well... something as minor as a string end touching metal can do it. A loose screw, ill fitted tailpiece cover. I keep a small piece of felt handy and use it when I find a vibration. it will deaden the vibration until a better solution can be found. I have found that looking for the problem is usually not effective... Touching various parts while plucking will locate the problem quickly and then your eyes can find the problem. These vibration problems are seldom serious and always findable with a little patience.

I like the felt idea, simple and quick and could tell me the story real quick. Thanks for the help, have a great weekend.

OU1
Sep-01-2013, 2:38pm
Frets.com has an excellent "Buzz Diagnosis" section, as well as lots of other useful information.
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

Wow, great site, I bookmarked it.

OU1
Sep-01-2013, 9:09pm

Problem solved...thanks Jim, loose screw on the tail piece, it's as good as new.

Scott

OU1
Sep-01-2013, 9:12pm

Mac, problem solved....loose screw on the tail piece, thanks for the suggestion, I would have never gotten there, I would have taken it down to the music store.

Scott

Keith Newell
Sep-01-2013, 9:16pm
Put a bit of pressure on the strings between the nut and tunners and after the bridge. You may find one will cure it. If you figure it out then it's a hard problem determining if the angle of the slot is wrong (too steep). I was assuming that it was on an open strings
Keith