PDA

View Full Version : My new "A"

sunburst
Aug-31-2013, 2:52pm
Just strung this one up and thought I'd post some photos here. I haven't done a "post a picture of your mandolin" thread for a while, so I figured... why not... This one has a red spruce top, silver maple neck back and sides, ebony fingerboard and peghead overlays, ivoroid bindings and nickel (and rhodium) plated hardware. It's pretty simple in design, other than the full binding.

sunburst
Aug-31-2013, 2:54pm
Some "studio" shots...

fatt-dad
Aug-31-2013, 2:56pm
it's really beautiful John! I'm a fan of the tobacco burst and love the a5-style.

Just perfect.

f-d

sunburst
Aug-31-2013, 2:56pm
Some may remember the thread I started a week or two ago about using superglue for bindings. To save time, the body bindings were glued with superglue on this one, and they turned out fine, as these reflections show. No apparent shrinkage of the binding after installation.

Pete Jenner
Aug-31-2013, 3:13pm
It's a beauty.

Vernon Hughes
Aug-31-2013, 4:30pm
Looks great! How does she sound?

sebastiaan56
Sep-01-2013, 12:31am
That's looks very nice, wonderful silk on the spruce.

BradKlein
Sep-01-2013, 2:32am
Lovely.

John MacPhee
Sep-01-2013, 3:25am
Just love it!
Cheers
John

Tiderider
Sep-01-2013, 3:26pm
Beautiful in every way. The head stock design is divine and the shading is classic. I love it, thanks for putting up the pictures.

Keith Newell
Sep-01-2013, 9:18pm
Nice burst ! You are like the Dawg of construction...

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-02-2013, 2:46am
You've done it again John !. The colour is 'almost' on a par with the colour of one of my very favourite mandolins,one of your 'Firewood' 'F' model mandolins that you made a while ago, & building work doesn't get any cleaner than this - very,very beautiful,
Ivan

sunburst
Sep-02-2013, 9:59am
Thanks Ivan (and everyone). As it turns out, this is the second mandolin I've made from my "firewood" stash of maple (from the tree bulldozed out of a pasture and destined to be firewood until my friend found curly maple with his chainsaw). The first one from this wood stash is a little over three years old now and I still have it, so I'm able to compare the sound of the two directly. I carved the back a little thinner on this one (only about 1% thinner) to see if I could adjust the sound a little toward the bass end of things, and it seems to have an open G string that is plenty strong. It's being a little slow about getting over it's new, stringy sound, but as of this morning it's sounding more like it's older (firewood) sister.
So Vernon, 'how does she sound?' a lot like the F5 you played on the porch at Graves Mountain a couple of years ago, with some subtle differences.

Pete Jenner
Sep-02-2013, 10:49am
What are those tuners John? It looks like there are only 3 mounting screws on each plate.

sunburst
Sep-02-2013, 11:17am
Those are the Stewmac "golden age" or "Elite" or whatever it is they're calling them these days. Yes, three screws per plate (seems to be plenty, as long as the holes for the posts are well spaced and aligned (in the peghead) and the plates are plenty stiff).

Pete Jenner
Sep-02-2013, 11:54am
Those are the Stewmac "golden age" or "Elite" or whatever it is they're calling them these days. Yes, three screws per plate (seems to be plenty, as long as the holes for the posts are well spaced and aligned (in the peghead) and the plates are plenty stiff).

Cool - with the Aussie dollar sinking fast against the greenback I may have to consider a change from the Grovers.

Ron McMillan
Sep-02-2013, 12:23pm
Lovely work!

sunburst
Sep-02-2013, 12:31pm
...I may have to consider a change from the Grovers.

I'm not a fan of Grovers, or any other mandolin tuners for that matter (I like Alessi, other than availability), but these seem to be one of the best values in moderately priced machines for mandolin, and this mando is intended to be a "player", not an art piece or an extravagance or whatever, so I was going for simplicity and value.

grandcanyonminstrel
Sep-02-2013, 2:10pm
Nice John- the world needs more A style mandolins!!!

The firewood mandolin concept is great; you should see some of the local red spruce in my firewood pile. As for the tuners...well...the number one reason I use Alessi is because they work so well for someone who actually plays the thing! The cosmetics are nice, but that is really just an after thought compared to performance. I'd be more inclined to put a lesser grade on an instrument that I knew was not going to see much use and go all out for someone who plays it everyday.;)

j.
www.condino.com

sunburst
Sep-02-2013, 2:24pm
I'd be more inclined to put a lesser grade on an instrument that I knew was not going to see much use and go all out for someone who plays it everyday.;)

Ideally, that is how it should be, but cost is also a factor. Though these tuners look like manufactured machines and are not particularly attractive, they work well, are moderately priced and they don't weigh "a ton". For those musicians who really use their instruments, and cost is not a factor, I've found nothing better than Alessi, and if I could get them easily I'd use them more.

rb3868
Sep-02-2013, 7:09pm
Yet another builder posting beautiful work. My bank account gets scared every time I open this thread. the peghead is the definition of understated elegance.

Leon Peoples
Sep-02-2013, 7:30pm
That is one nice looking piece of firewood, wish I was talented enough to do that.
best/joe

f5joe
Sep-02-2013, 8:11pm
Lovely work on all of your instruments!

bernabe
Sep-02-2013, 8:58pm
shweet!

Michael Bridges
Sep-03-2013, 5:41am
Another fan of the tobacco sunburst look, and this one's a beauty! Really nice work all the way around. Look forward to hearing a sound clip or 2!

juneman
Sep-03-2013, 8:44am
Nice work John ! wanted to meet u at Galax a couple weeks back but u were always a couple steps ahead. "he was just here" hopefully next year. will u b at IBMA? Walter Johnson 'JUNE' mandolins and guitars

Randi Gormley
Sep-03-2013, 9:09am
I'm not usually a big fan of sunbursts, but that is gorgeous. I like the way it strays from the perfect circle/oval I see so often. Spectacular!

JEStanek
Sep-03-2013, 9:16am
Very elegant, John. While no one else has mentioned it, I love the mountains on the headstock. They remind me of the views of the Blue Ridge from my home town. I think about visiting you everytime I drive down 29 to Lynchburg but have never made the arrangments. Lovely work and I'm sure the new owner will be ecstatic to have it.

Jamie

Denny Gies
Sep-03-2013, 9:33am
Thanks for the pictures, John. You make one beautiful mandolin. The Dawgs in Gainesville are still healthy and doing great. Thanks again.

sunburst
Sep-03-2013, 11:11am
I love the mountains on the headstock. They remind me of the views of the Blue Ridge from my home town.

I was moving fast trying to finish this mandolin and I didn't have an idea for an inlay, and I didn't have time to wait for an idea to come to me, and I didn't have time for a fancy, complicated inlay... but I woke up one morning and the Blue Ridge idea popped into my head. I made a quick sketch on the back of an old repair tag, transferred it to abalone and cut it out. It was inlaid and done by 2:00 that afternoon. It went from idea to finished inlay in about 4 hours. It's about as simple as they come, but it avoids an empty, blank peghead, which just wasn't the look I was going for on this one, with the full bindings and sunburst.

bbaker2050
Sep-03-2013, 11:41am
Wow, very beautiful!!!!

Perry Babasin
Sep-03-2013, 12:23pm
Beautiful work! Clean and tight. I'll bet it sounds great!

BillD
Sep-04-2013, 8:11am
I had the opportunity to play this wonderful mandolin yesterday and can assure everyone it's voice is as beautiful as the mandolin itself!
Thanks John and all the best at the show!

Bill Duvall

sunburst
Sep-09-2013, 11:15pm
Not completely a shameless bump here...
I had this idea for a photo, and today I was driving and I realized I had the mandolin and the camera in the car, so...

Pete Jenner
Sep-10-2013, 10:26am
Come and listen to ma story 'bout a man named Jed...

Can I visit in November?

Bill Baldridge
Sep-10-2013, 10:35am
Beautiful work, John. Thanks for sharing.

tree
Feb-21-2017, 5:03pm
.. this mando is intended to be a "player", not an art piece or an extravagance or whatever, so I was going for simplicity and value.

And you absolutely nailed it.

This mandolin (no. 32) is in my care now, and I very much appreciate how responsive and light it is, how simply and elegantly the design elements work together, and how good it sounds. :)

Even if I did post my photos in the wrong thread . . .