PDA

View Full Version : Noob here, but I got some pics...

xSinner13x
Aug-29-2013, 7:54am
Noob here with a hopefully interesting piece/story.

after fifteen years of asking, my father finally gave me my grandmothers mandolin.
My grandparents married in '38 the Mando was new/used?
It was bought for her shortly after.
either way here are some stats:

all maple body and neck
Brazilian rosewood f/b and bridge beautiful grain
Brass?/Bronze frets?
MOP inlay
not sure but the nut might be ebony?
Bakelite knobs and PG.
all slotted screws.
this baby is 100% original it has not left the house in 40 years that I know of.
If any of these are not correct please let me know.

and now the eyecandy....
I had to use the phone so pardon the quality.

https://sphotos-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1016391_499468613475927_2087909251_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1231578_499468523475936_115405728_n.jpg

I read somewhere there is a year stamp in these by the neck, but I'll be dipped if I can see it.

This is a rare treasure for me it is the only thing I own that belonged to her she passed when I was only 4 yrs old.

xSinner13x
Aug-29-2013, 7:58am
I see you folks looking, any clues as to what year range this actually is?

MikeEdgerton
Aug-29-2013, 8:00am
Probably from the 30's, perhaps the 40's. There's really no way to tie it down exactly if it doesn't have the stamp. Mine doesn't either. There is a Strad-O-Lin Social Group here on the cafe with a lot of pictures in it. Join that group and look through it and be sure to add your pcitures there as well.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-29-2013, 8:02am
It looks original right down to the faux flame on the back. It might not be maple by the way.

xSinner13x
Aug-29-2013, 8:10am
No? Spruce perhaps?
I am pretty sure the neck is.

All I know is as it "woke up" playing it this weekend up to the camp, She slowly got her voice back.
and She hollers when you put the pick to her, and nice and mellow with the fingers.
also could you link me to the Strad group I can,t seem to find it....Derp..

Randi Gormley
Aug-29-2013, 9:11am
The date stamp on my strad is inside the body on the back at kind of an angle. I had never seen it but my luthier found it by doing some jiggling with a small pencil light through the f-holes. Just a thought. It's a pretty instrument regardless -- welcome to the world of strads!

At the top of the page under the masthead should be a bunch of options and one is 'social groups.' you might try there for the strad-o-lin group.

xSinner13x
Aug-29-2013, 10:15am
Found it, thank you.
I have a super bright LED light on my phone, and I could see all inside of the back and where the "neck block?" is. no date.
I also have the original case, handle intact, if a bit rough.
there is a proof mark embossed on the back that read hard, but it includes the words "Puritan"
And a Chicago address I can't make out.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-29-2013, 10:43am
It might be birch.

xSinner13x
Aug-29-2013, 10:47am
well the sides have a real subtle natural flame in the sunlight and a couple of tiny birds eyes on the top.
that was the reason I was guessing maple.

I'll have to get some hi res pics done to post for better detail.

bmac
Aug-29-2013, 10:47am
I have two of similar vintage, one date stamped the other not. They were made with several different wood tops at different prices. I have a maple top and a spruce top, both with maple backs and sides. They sound slightly different but I wouldn't say the difference is dramatic.

I doubt that your headstock is inlayed. Usually they were stamped (printed) onto the wood or could be a decal, as is one of mine. It is possible that printing can leave what appears to be an embossed surface depending on the printing process used, but it is likely not inlayed as inlaying is and was an expensive process.

Yours appears to be about as pristine as they come... Congratulations!

bmac
Aug-29-2013, 10:58am
For the Stradolin social group: look at the top of this page. On the line under Mandolin Cafe find Social Groups. Click on it. That will take you to the page of social groups... Find Stradolin group and click on it to take you to the Stradolin social group.... You will have the option of joining... Join it as it will give more options and photos than if you don't. Lots of interesting stuff there. Just poke around... Plenty of interesting photos of mandos, catalogue pages, adverts, etc.

xSinner13x
Aug-29-2013, 11:06am
I have two of similar vintage, one date stamped the other not. They were made with several different wood tops at different prices. I have a maple top and a spruce top, both with maple backs and sides. They sound slightly different but I wouldn't say the difference is dramatic.

I doubt that your headstock is inlayed. Usually they were stamped (printed) onto the wood or could be a decal, as is one of mine. It is possible that printing can leave what appears to be an embossed surface depending on the printing process used, but it is likely not inlayed as inlaying is and was an expensive process.

Yours appears to be about as pristine as they come... Congratulations!

Sweet!
the H/S is screen printed.
the MOP are the markers.
it will never leave my grip till I'm dead, then it will be passed down again.