PDA

View Full Version : R5 "Country Boy" Ratliff

Stephen Cagle
Aug-25-2013, 8:01pm
105963105964105965105966105967105968Hi everyone. I just received my R5 "Country boy" mandolin. I just wanted to post some pic's and maybe answer some question's. I'm pretty busy right now at banjo.com and so my response time may be a little slow. ;)

First of all I have been playing ratliff's for a really long time, my first being a 3/4/84 F back in 1986. Audey builds a very fine mandolin and his ideas and his take on the F5 is pretty dang cool. You can look at my detailed pic's and see what I'm talking about.

Since a lot of builders have come out with their on version of the "no frills" mandolin I have been hooked. I love mandolins with all the trimmings don't get me wrong however I'm more of a fan for tone, volume and just so happen to love the rustic look.

Now for a few details:
I chose schaller tuners. I have always used them.
Very well made stamped tail piece. Not sure of the maker. Not cheap hooks, these are very sturdy.
I had the opportunity to purchase a very well made ebony bridge that REALLY toned and volumed it up right out of the case. Some of you have seen them on the cafe. They are made by Ben Wilcox. DataNick just wanted to let you know that It made a really big difference.

One piece back and as far as I know the very first Ratliff made with S holes. I think they turned out very well.

Also ebony board with dots and end of board scalloped.
Check out the pic's

Stephen Cagle
Aug-25-2013, 8:06pm
More pic's.105969105970105971105972105973

phiddlepicker
Aug-25-2013, 9:41pm
dang that's sweet looking. Understated elegence. I saw one of these on Vintage mandolin and was so close to buying it. I hope you eventually post a performance video.

Jim Garber
Aug-25-2013, 9:50pm
I love the understated look of that one. Now, you got me going. I just wrote to Audey.

Stephen Cagle
Aug-25-2013, 10:46pm
Thanks guys. I'm really in to the understated look too. I spent a couple of days in Hilton Head Island and on my way home I dropped by banjo.com and picked it up. I haven't put it down since getting it. 5 1/2 hours so far. Audey is truly a great guy to deal with. He's always in the shop cutting or sanding on a mandolin. ~o)

Stephen Cagle
Aug-25-2013, 11:03pm
2 more

Michael Bridges
Aug-26-2013, 4:50am
Stephen, that looks great! Congrats on your new baby. Really attracted to the "beauty in simplicity" concept, and this one has it in spades.Bet it sounds as good as it looks. I'd love to get some info on that bridge, too. Sounds interesting.

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Aug-26-2013, 6:08am
Very very nice, a great mandolin I'm sure...I also ama a stickler for these simple no frills mandolins.

Kerry Krishna
Aug-26-2013, 7:32am
What a beautiful axe. The metal on the strap kinda freaks me out a little bit though. Man, I have seen a lot of cosmetic damage from stuff like this over the years. Will you post a vid /soundbite of it if we ask nicely?

Stephen Cagle
Aug-26-2013, 9:24am
Hi Mike and Kerry. Thanks for the nice comments. I have played it 6 1/2 hours straight and it's already sounding better. Mike the bridge makes so much difference in the tone and volume that any bridge of real quality will certainly make a difference. I new I wanted to try this bridge when I first saw it here on the cafe. Ben Wilcox of BRW mandolins makes them and it is a "top shelf" bridge. Go to eye candy and click on BRW mandolins and you will find them on his site. Great guy to work with as well. Thanks Mr Wilcox. Kerry as soon as I get a moment I will certainly post some sound bites.

Jim Garber
Aug-26-2013, 11:28am
Ben's bridge is here: Wilcox bridge (http://brw-instruments.com/components/#BRWPolishedEbonyBridge).

I was just wondering what you found lacking in the original bridge that was on the mandolin. The BRW does look nice tho.

I emailed Audey to ask him about his ovals and also whether he would make an A-oval Country Boy. Have not heard back yet tho his regular oval looks quite nice.

Stephen Cagle
Aug-26-2013, 2:04pm
Hi Jim. In the beginning Audey was building the "Country boy" mandolins with rosewood boards and rosewood bridges (maybe) helping to keep the cost down just a little since this was his option to the "no frills" mandolin. Not lacking in quality at all but maybe a little bit in tone and volume with the rosewood bridge option. Keep in mind that this is his version of an all USA (Church Hill, Tn.) mandolin that someone can get in to with out spending 3500.00. I just chose to have mine built with the "no frills" look but with a few bells and whistles to go with it. The nice ebony bridge certainly was the right choice for it with regard to pulling out a little more tone, bottom end and volume. Rosewood is usually standard on this model however he will build it the way you want it.

I'm so pleased with it I had to call him this morning and tell him. Just like I mentioned in the first post he was in the shop cutting some wood. I only kept him for a few mins on the phone because I knew he was most likely trying to get someone else's mandolin completed and shipped out to them. One heck of a nice guy to deal with.

DataNick
Aug-26-2013, 3:47pm
... The nice ebony bridge certainly was the right choice for it with regard to pulling out a little more tone, bottom end and volume. Rosewood is usually standard on this model however he will build it the way you want it...

Stephen,

Congrats and looks great! Cool on those 'S' holes!
Mine is starting to open up a bit, but I will definitely look into the ebony bridge.

Gonna play mine here at work on my lunch hour in a bit..

here's a pic of mine from Sat...

Stephen Cagle
Aug-26-2013, 11:36pm
DataNick,

Your Ratliff looks great! I love the color! congrats to you as well..

Stephen~o)

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Aug-28-2013, 1:19pm
Stephen,

Congrats and looks great! Cool on those 'S' holes!
Mine is starting to open up a bit, but I will definitely look into the ebony bridge.

Gonna play mine here at work on my lunch hour in a bit..

here's a pic of mine from Sat...

I notice your Ratliff has the white celluloid binding as opposed to the black binding on yours....is this an option with the Country Boy?

DataNick
Aug-28-2013, 3:28pm
I notice your Ratliff has the white celluloid binding as opposed to the black binding on yours....is this an option with the Country Boy?

Stephen's Country Boy F is the stock model; I didn't ask for the binding on mine, but Audey did it just to be nice!

He was extremely gracious in adding the MOP dot inlays, ebony fretboard vs. rosewood, and the binding...all on the house!

What a Gentleman!

Jim Garber
Aug-28-2013, 3:37pm
BTW I did hear from Audey and he would make an oval Country Boy and brace it the way I would prefer.

mtk
Aug-29-2013, 12:27pm
Same price for the oval hole option?

Jim Garber
Aug-29-2013, 12:53pm
I believe so, tho you should really contact Audey directly.