PDA

View Full Version : Newby needing advice.

goteamdevan
Aug-25-2013, 6:05pm
Hi everyone!

If newby posts like this are discouraged I apologize! I'm looking at purchasing a mandolin to begin learning to play, and I came across one on CL. According to the seller it is a Gibson/Epiphone mm20, though after some research the Gibson tag on the headstock appears to be fake. This alarmed me at first, but since it is listed at just $100 I don't believe they are trying to rip anyone off. It appears to be missing the pickguard, but besides that it looks to be in great condition. It comes with the case shown in one picture. According to the seller the info on the instrument shows:

model no. mm-20vs
s/n 90011004

For under $100 is this a decent buy?

Thank you for any input!

allenhopkins
Aug-26-2013, 5:07pm
...For under $100 is this a decent buy?...

Decent, maybe. Guess it's a discontinued model? All plywood, and mahogany ply rather than maple on back and sides. Two of them for sale on Amazon, used, for $75, so you're not getting the bargain of the century. If it's set up properly, could be an OK learner instrument.

Gibson owns the Epiphone label, but just puts it on a line of Asian-made instruments -- guitars, banjos, mandolins. No connection with the former US-made Epiphones, either as an independent company, or as a line of Gibson-made instruments.

bmac
Aug-28-2013, 8:45am
For the absolute beginner it might be OK but the problem with virtually all of the very low end instruments is that they are not set up for comfortable playing (or in tune playing) and can be a disappointment to the person who needs the most encouragement. A set up can run another $70 and then you have a playable instrument which a person can learn on. The missing pick guard is not a problem. Or if you think you need one they are not expensive.

But any player has to start somewhere... and if you take to mandolin you will shortly want to start thinking about your next mando. Thats where this site comes in really handy because there are knowledgable people who know about every level of mandos available (new or used) and can often advize on values for used instruments. You will get as much support as you need,,,, or can stand.

Welcome!

nickster60
Aug-29-2013, 12:26pm
I had one of these it played really well, it didnt sound spectacular but ok. It may serve your purpose.

Capt. E
Aug-29-2013, 2:23pm
Decent beginner's mandolin when well set-up. You'll probably out grow it pretty quick. Look to upgrade to something like a Kentucky KM500 at around $500. Most of all, have fun learning.