PDA

View Full Version : New Heiden imminent...

scapier
Aug-24-2013, 10:15pm
I'm only a week or so away from my new Heiden F5 I've waited almost two years for. Bittersweet because I'll have to sell the old Heiden to subsidize it, but check it out almost done....105927

Tobin
Aug-24-2013, 10:47pm
Wow, the details look great on it. Love the binding. Can't wait to see it all dressed out.

Two years is a heck of a wait. I couldn't have done it!

scapier
Aug-25-2013, 8:52am
Michael has strung it up since that photo which was taken a week or so ago. He's making his pickup design again, which is by far the best mandolin pickup I've ever heard. This is why I've waited a bit longer. Totally worth it. Here's what he said about hearing the mandolin for the first time:

"I just strung your baby today.... lovely! Very responsive and easy, quick, big notes. Day 1.
I'm just making another saddle with the pickup in it so I can just replace the one on there right now and locate that hole and wire it up. This way I get to get the exact location of the bridge before I install the pickup and hole."

The rumour is he's going to put the pickup into production, and that will be a good thing for anyone playing through a P.A.

scapier
Aug-25-2013, 8:55am
Of course I meant to say 'imminent,' not 'immanent,' though some would ascribe divine qualities to Heiden instruments...

Cheryl Watson
Aug-25-2013, 9:25am
Very classy! Yeah, two years flies by scary fast unless you are waiting on a custom instrument. Look at it this way, it's a way to make your life seem not so short :)

Steve-o
Aug-25-2013, 11:49am
Very classy! Yeah, two years flies by scary fast unless you are waiting on a custom instrument. Look at it this way, it's a way to make your life seem not so short :)

Cheryl, That's maybe the best excuse I've heard for buying a high end custom mando.

scapier
Aug-25-2013, 4:54pm
I think the mando Gods fixed my spelling too...

scapier
Sep-17-2013, 7:05pm
The new Heiden arrived in the post today...106939106940106941106942106943106944106945 106946106947

Jim Garber
Sep-17-2013, 7:15pm
Bittersweet because I'll have to sell the old Heiden to subsidize it, but check it out almost done....105927

Looks like a bitterwseet chocolate finish... beautiful!

doc holiday
Sep-17-2013, 7:17pm
Lovely Lovely, Please post some photos in the Heiden social group. We had some lovely Heiden tastings over two weeks at Nimblefingers in August about 8 of them, all tonal marvels of Michael's skill & magic. Enjoy your new one!! They are quite special.

Mark Seale
Sep-17-2013, 7:30pm
That's a beautiful instrument! I dig your Calton dual case too...

William Smith
Sep-17-2013, 8:02pm
Very nice F-5 there! 2 years, been there waited over 10 before I bought a Gil 5 I could afford, well old but new to me.
He also builds pickups for his mandolins? are they inside or? Never used a pickup just the old school microphone way.

Barry Canada
Sep-17-2013, 8:12pm
Enjoy your new Heiden! Michael builds beautiful instruments. I have been amazed by the tonal qualities experienced playing mine!
I'm sure the wait along with the excitement has been worthwhile!
Happy Picking.....

sgarrity
Sep-17-2013, 8:19pm
Beautiful mandolin! Michael's instruments are second to none.

doc holiday
Sep-17-2013, 8:47pm
Brothers & sisters....106950 ....not to hijack... :-)

scapier
Sep-17-2013, 9:56pm
He builds piezo pickups into the bridge itself, and they sound amazing. best ever. I haven't heard this one yet but if it's like the one I've used for twenty years it'll be amazing.

scapier
Sep-17-2013, 10:00pm
I've been playing it for a couple hours now and it's opening up like a vintage wine. I know that's a cliche but I don't care. The strings are standard j74's but I'm wondering about putting my tried and true ft74's on it. I'm just used to a semi flat wound A. Wow are F's different than A's! weight and ergonomics are different. I wonder if that's why Andy Statman went to a two point after living with an F for a while? I don't think I'm in any danger of doing that though...

lenf12
Sep-18-2013, 9:13am
He builds piezo pickups into the bridge itself, and they sound amazing. best ever.

I too am curious about the pickup Michael is building. From the corresponence you quoted above, it sounds like the lead for the pickup is routed through a hole drilled into the top. Is this the case? (Please say it's not) If not, how is the pickup output routed? Any idea what type of technology Micheal is using, piezo or ?? BTW - Congratulations on your new mandolin. She's a beauty!!

Len B.
clearwater, FL

GarY Nava
Sep-18-2013, 10:39am
I do like a fret board without markers- very clean looking.
Cheers gary

Cheryl Watson
Sep-18-2013, 10:53am
That's one beautiful Heiden! I have yet to play one. I've heard plenty though in recordings and You Tube clips and they are the real deal--the OPPOSITE of tiny toy mandolin!! I'd love to own one someday.

mandopete
Sep-18-2013, 11:31am
Looks fanstastic. I would love to hear a sound clip, especially with the pickup.

wwwilkie
Sep-18-2013, 1:32pm
very awesome indeed!

scapier
Sep-18-2013, 4:44pm
Yes he embeds the piezo into the bridge itself and drills a hole into the top of the mandolin and routs the wire out a standard guitar jack where the end pin would be. I know this makes a purist's heart faint, but it really is the best thing for the long term health of the instrument as there are no finicky clamps or wires on the exterior of the instrument. I'll try to get a recording of the instrument with a pickup and mic so you can see what it sounds like, but it really does a great job in louder performance scenarios, and it still sounds like a mandolin, and like a good mandolin. I know he plans to produce a Heiden Pickup for sale, and I know the pickup can be installed on the exterior and affixed with a carpenter jack as well.

I too am curious about the pickup Michael is building. From the corresponence you quoted above, it sounds like the lead for the pickup is routed through a hole drilled into the top. Is this the case? (Please say it's not) If not, how is the pickup output routed? Any idea what type of technology Micheal is using, piezo or ?? BTW - Congratulations on your new mandolin. She's a beauty!!

Len B.
clearwater, FL

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-22-2013, 3:47am
Spectacular !!. Michael is one of the very finest builders around & his instruments always make my jaw drop. Yours has my very favourite neck inlay as well - as for the back,what can you say, except incredibly beautiful,
Ivan

pickloser
Sep-22-2013, 11:42am
Oh, that mandolin is breathtaking. Congratulations!

scapier
Sep-22-2013, 8:59pm
I'm just going to mention that the old Heiden A-009 built for me in 1993, and also with his amazing proprietary pickup is for sale now at Blue Dog Guitars in North Vancouver. I hope it goes to a good home, someone who plays it every day like I did for twenty years. I still remember Michael showing it to me in the basement of his mother's house, still in the white. My heart leapt to see it then and I hope someone will play it in the shop and get the same thrill I did all those years ago.