PDA

View Full Version : Augusta 2013 Bluegrass Week Staff Performance

Jim Abrams
Aug-23-2013, 11:19pm
Here's a video of a really fabulous performance of Frank Wakefield's tune New Camptown Races played by members of Augusta's 2013 Bluegrass Week staff. Jesse Brock and Alan Bibee are on mandolins and Don Shean is on banjo, among other stellar musicians shredding this tune. They look like they're having some big-time fun. Really great stuff. I didn't attend Augusta this summer but Don is my banjo teacher and he alerted me to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-iIEX5yeeo

OldSausage
Aug-24-2013, 5:34pm
P-iIEX5yeeo

Embedded. I love me some Jesse Brock, and he is the expert on this tune these days.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-26-2013, 1:30am
What can i say - 7-21 am here right now & that's just blown me away totally !!!!!. When a performance gets better than the original,it's simply awesome, as that performance was. I've heard the tune so many times it's ridiculous,but i've never been tempted to learn it - until now. Jesse's playing was incredible - from OS above ".......and he is the expert on this tune these days." & Oh boy !,doesn't it show. Jesse's mandolin sounded as good as it gets for me,better in many ways that Alan Bibey's Loar (IMHO) - deep,rich,woody,clean & clear. I read a while ago on here,that Jesse was supposedly getting another mandolin. If he ever parts with that Gibson,he should be 'propt up & shooted' - unless he lets me have it of course.:grin: To Jim Abrahams - thank you,thank you,thank you,
Ivan:disbelief:

mandrian
Aug-26-2013, 2:54am
One of the nicest bluegrass videos I've seen in a long time. Exciting and inspiring stuff.

Regards

Beanzy
Aug-26-2013, 2:56am
Smooth a silk and true to the best BG; quick enough to be exciting but no 'rushed' feel.

You can see on here how Jesse Brock hardly ever actually relies on the mandolin strap while he in flight, I'd noticed that at Sorefingers 2012
I don't know if he's always been like that, but he sure plays like a man who's really comfortable with the F5 in his hands.
Love it.