PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking out my new Mandolin

euph_22
Aug-21-2013, 11:28pm
I've been playing mandolin for a couple years, and am ready to upgrade from my Fender. I'm looking at spending around $400-600. I could go up a bit from, if necessary, though the less money I spend on the mandolin is more money I can spend on a 12-string guitar :). My biggest concern is that there is a dirth of mandolin shops in the area (Milwaukee, WI), and I'm leery of ordering an instrument sight unseen. Well, sound unheard.

The guitar shop I frequent has a KM-172, and I was wondering how that compares with the KM-505? Are there any other recommendations around that price range I should look into?

Also, a couple of the Used shops around me have a number of Michael Kelly instruments. Am I right is my assessment that they are by and large junk (lots of flash, no substance) or is it worth my time digging through piles of them to find the diamond in the rough?

Jim Ferguson
Aug-22-2013, 12:17am
Greetings "22"........welcome to the Cafe......there are lots of threads on the Cafe discussing this topic that will be very helpful to you..........going for a used mando can give you a better quality mando than what you might spend on a new mando. Here are some recommendations
A models: Kentucky KM 150/250/350/380, Eastman MS 304 or 305, The Loar LM220 (I had one of these & it was a great mando for the $$$), Gold Tone GM50
F models: Rover RM75, Morgan Monroe MMS2
Many others I'm sure. Hard to beat the Kentucky & Eastman mandos.
And.........make sure to get the new mando "set up" to get the best musical bang for your buck.
Good luck.
Peace,

allenhopkins
Aug-22-2013, 1:40am
Don't think Michael Kelly mandolins are necessarily "junk," though concur that they seem to emphasize cosmetics over better construction, in some cases. They have an all-solid-wood F-model in your price range. You might be better off with Kentucky, Eastman, or Loar, but if those brands aren't available…

Spruce Tree Music (http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/mandolinintro.html) in Madison is an Eastman dealer, and the "300" series of Eastman mandolins is definitely one you should consider. Guitar Works (http://www.guitarworksltd.com/instruments.htm) in Evanston IL also seems to have a stock of mandolins, although only their used ones (pricey!) are specified on-line.

Winfield
Aug-22-2013, 5:53am
I would go with an Eastman.

Dan Krhla
Aug-22-2013, 5:57am
I've had Kentuckys and Eastmans. Either would be great. Ya gotta play em to see what's right for you. I personally preferred Eastman.

Franc Homier Lieu
Aug-22-2013, 6:12am
If you can, by all means go to the bricks and mortar shop Allen Hopkins recommends. I had an Eastman 305 and now have a 505, and mine at least lived up to the hype you often hear 'round here about them. Playing an instrument first is definitely preferable, but probably more so when going from a good to great or great to greater instrument. When going from a Fender to what can be got from, say, The Mandolin Store for $400-600, I would be shocked if you were disappointed even though it is 'sound unheard'. You are actually in a position to make a pretty big jump, from a Fender (don't know if you bought it new, but they are pretty overpriced as far as I can tell, often even in the used market where I am) to a Eastmand/Loar/Kentucky, which are good value for the money and one of those that has been properly set up to boot. Call the Mandolin Store, call Folkmusician, or another Cafe sponsor. Of course, you should also spend about a month reading the threads on any mandolin you are considering (Google loves Mandolin Cafe threads, so almost any instrument or comparison you put in gets you a nice list of Cafe threads in the results.) Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you get!

euph_22
Aug-31-2013, 12:46am
Well I just won a Loar Lm-600 on Ebay (got it for $335 total, which feels like stealing). Now to nervously wait around for it to show up. That and tracking down a mandolin shop to do the setup (given that not one of the mandolins in my local guitar shops has a playable action, I think I need to take my new baby elsewhere).

Aside from a full Setup, any upgrades I should look at doing? Specifically, is upgrading the bridge worth the effort?

Michael Bridges
Aug-31-2013, 6:17am
That's a really good deal on the LM-600, congrats! I've read good things about them around here. I'd do a search on the cafe for LM-600, and see whatcha get. Might get some good ideas of what other folks have done with theirs. I'd hold off on thinking too far ahead on mods. Wait until you get it and play it for a while. You'd be surprised what a difference a good setup job will make in tone and playability. Now get that thing and play the frets off! Congrats again.

bmac
Sep-04-2013, 8:57pm
Congratulations!! People will tell you, and rightly so, that your next expense will be to get it set up by a luthier. A discount mail order seller almost never sets the instrument up and settup is critical for comfortable and in tune playing... You will not regret it.

euph_22
Sep-05-2013, 7:05pm
Well my new baby came, and I'm incredibly pleased. It's in great shape (a couple minor scuffs, but who wants to play a museum piece?), and at first glance the set-up seems spot on. I'll give it a more thorough going over tomorrow, but the action seems right, the relief seems good and it's in tune all the way up the fret board.

I definitely need to get a strap for it though.

euph_22
Sep-05-2013, 7:18pm
Well my new baby came, and I'm incredibly pleased. It's in great shape (a couple minor scuffs, but who wants to play a museum piece?), and at first glance the set-up seems spot on. I'll give it a more thorough going over tomorrow, but the action seems right, the relief seems good and it's in tune all the way up the fret board.

I definitely need to get a strap for it though.