PDA

View Full Version : J.Bovier F5 Special Amber Gloss

mmcadory
Aug-19-2013, 11:13pm
Pulled the trigger on a new J.Bovier F5 Special Amber recently. Much nicer than my original Harmony from some years back.

105634 105632 105631

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Aug-20-2013, 7:15am
What is the back on that mandolin? What kind of wood is it? Very beautiful looking by the way....enjoy!

DataNick
Aug-20-2013, 12:38pm
The F5 Special model is supposed to be a European spruce top, maple sides/back.

I assume that the finish process is what constitutes the "amber" color?

Eric Michael Pfeiffer
Aug-20-2013, 12:48pm
the back doesn't look like maple too me....actually looks kinda like "Koa"

Marty Jacobson
Aug-20-2013, 12:58pm
Zebrawood!

Perry Babasin
Aug-20-2013, 12:58pm
They have used Koa in the past, before the recent newer more traditional models. I believe this looks like one of those... (after seeing Marin's post...) Ah Zebrawood, it sure is beautiful, wonder how it sounds!

mmcadory
Aug-20-2013, 5:03pm
They have used Koa in the past, before the recent newer more traditional models. I believe this looks like one of those... (after seeing Marin's post...) Ah Zebrawood, it sure is beautiful, wonder how it sounds!

I guess I identified it incorrectly. It is an F5Z. Not sure how to describe the sound of it, as I'm a novice on the mando. It has that typical bluegrass sound. Sounds tremendously better than a 70's model Harmony I had previously. They didn't say it was a carrier of MAS, but I feel the infection growing in me since it arrived.

As guessed previously it is a zebrawood back. Specs are described one place as:

Solid carved Englemann Spruce Top
Solid carved African Zebrawood back
Solid African Zebrawood sides
Solid Canadian flamed Maple Neck

Else where I see:

Solid Carved Sitka Spruce Top
Solid Carved African Zebrawood Back
Solid African Zebrawood Sides
Solid Flamed Maple Neck

The rear pic doesn't do the flamed neck justice. It's quite striking contrasted against the zebra back and sides. The fit and finish are excellent. The binding is very well done. I've found a few minor finishing blemishes, but all in all, for the $$ it was a great purchase. I've had it since the first week of the month, and it's broken in nicely. Englemann or Sitka, I can't tell the difference visually or sonically.

mandobassman
Aug-20-2013, 5:09pm
It's an older model. They don't make the F5Z anymore. The Zebrawood sure is pretty, though.