PDA

View Full Version : Road to Spencer:

300win
Aug-19-2013, 4:42am
On this tune which key do most of ya'll pick it in ? I can pick it in either B or A, but prefer it in A, I think it sounds better in that chord.

Bigtuna
Aug-19-2013, 6:24am
Key of B

AlanN
Aug-19-2013, 6:51am
Skaggs tune, right? Which recording?

Willie Poole
Aug-19-2013, 11:07am
Most fiddle tunes are very seldom played in B, at least that is what I have found to be true, I am not sure about this one since I don`t play it....

300win
Aug-20-2013, 7:16am
Skaggs tune, right? Which recording?

Yep. As to which recording I can't say. I only heard it once at the Blue Ridge outdoor stage when he was there. The reason I don't know about the recording is because I don't have any cd's, records or tapes of any of the Bluegrass artist, heck I don't even listen to the radio. So when anybody talks about a lot of these tunes/songs I seldom know what they are talking about. I have just a limited knowledge of any of the current Bluegrass bands. I have went to Galax twice in the past 5 years and to Merlefest this year, other than that I've only been to small fiddler's conventions, Fairview, Mt. Airy, Elk Creek, and Jomeokee. So as you can see I don't get out much. I do pick a little almost every day as long as my arthritic hands and fingers allow it. I used to have a huge record collection { loaned them all out and they never came back } of all of Monroe's, Flatt and Scruggs, Osborne Brothers, Country Gentlemen, Seldom Scene, Stanley Brothers, and Some of Newgrass Revival's, the ones that were pre-cd , so I know pretty much of these old tunes/songs, but have a very narrow knowledge of the new groups. Case in point; 5 years ago I hooked back up with a old banjo picking friend and with two younger guys on bass and guitar we formed a band, began working on tunes/songs, and I had to learn from them some songs/tunes from groups during the 90's Thryd Time Out as a example. I mostly quit listening to Bluegrass from the late 80,s onward. So there is a ton of stuff I'm not familiar with. But I have not been away from the music, have written over 350 songs since 1992 a few that have been recorded, and have made up a bunch of instrumentals so many in fact that I've forgot how some of them go. So I guess folks could call me a Bluegrass hermit/recluse. On good days when I have the time and my hands don't hurt too much, I'll sit around and pick for a couple of hours. Anyway got kind of off track there about my original question, but Road to Spencer is a good tune.

Timbofood
Aug-20-2013, 9:20am
There's an older Dan Crary recording of that which I think is in B but with a guitar it becomes capo placement over fingering. I remember Kenny Baker playing fishers hornpipe in F at a jam, man it was "different" to say the least, I was mostly lost.

almeriastrings
Aug-23-2013, 5:08pm
On 'History of the Future' CD.