PDA

View Full Version : Goat Rodeo Tour

R. Kane
Aug-17-2013, 9:30pm
We saw the Goats on Thursday at Tanglewood, in Western MA, on the first of a 12(?) date national tour. The audience was mostly classical series ticket holders, with no experience with bluegrass. They were still very appreciative and enthusiastic, appreciating the virtuosity. The show was 2 hours with no intermission, and several new Thile/Mayer compositions in addition to the recording, which was fully covered. Mr. Ma mentioned having his part delivered at 2:30 am the previous morning. The lovely Ms. Aoife O'Donovan provided duet accompaniment singing with Mr. Thile on 4 songs, with a Dylan cover, Farewell Angelina, and another cover, Your Guardian Angel, as the encore. Imagine having this group playing backup to your singing.

An interesting point for me was that while the other musicians read or at least referenced from sheet music, Mr. Thile played completely from memory. Make me suspect that he wrote most of the compositions. He also played outstanding fiddle on Where's My Bow, and played guitar while Stuart Duncan played mandolin on another tune.

It was an evening of extraordinary virtuosity in an ensemble. We thought that Edgar Mayer was the most accessible, and his bowing was a strong foundation for the group. After the first few tunes, there was very little soloing, and the choice transitions seemed to be shared only between Mr. Ma and Mr. Thile. Clearly, Mr. Ma was enjoying the opportunity to let loose. It seemed that the other musicians were happy being held in by the structure. I would not bet against future collaborations between these guys in the future.

If you have the chance, consider going to see them.

RK

kidgloves2
Aug-18-2013, 7:44am
They played new music? Did they say anything about a new project?

sgarrity
Aug-18-2013, 9:27am
Seeing them one week from today.

margora
Aug-18-2013, 9:41am
My wife and I also attended the Tanglewood performance. Like Mr. Kane, we both felt it was extraordinary. Thile did play entirely from memory, including the arrangement of the Bach gamba sonata that he, Meyer, and MA performed. I cannot fathom how he keeps all this music straight in his mind, what with everything else he plays. We were sitting orchestra right, and had a perfect view of Edgar Meyer, whose virtuosity and musicianship are always stunning. Although some of the pieces were not from the CD/DVD, such as the lovely Dylan arrangement, there was no mention of a new project. The shed was packed, and there was a huge crowd on the lawn. This was one of three Tanglewood concerts that we attended during our week there -- also a superb contemporary music concert the previous Sunday featuring pieces by Reich ("Music for 18 Musicians"), Nancarrow, and Ligeti; and the Emerson String Quartet the day before Goat Rodeo.

Toycona
Aug-19-2013, 8:59am
I can't swing the Goat Rodeo appearance at the Greek in Berkeley, but I'm in for Chris Thile solo in February.