PDA

View Full Version : Banjo mandolin beginner

Jimbolin
Aug-16-2013, 11:04am
I just got a Vega, Little Wonder, banjo mandolin and would like advice on the best way to start learning to play. Utube, lessons, books, or? Thanks!

bmac
Aug-16-2013, 1:26pm
Lots of stuff on the internet...It can play anything you can play on a standard mandolin. For some interesting stuff google "Ragtime Skedaddlers". some fine mando and banjo mandolin. Ragtime is one of its authentic usages. When I was learning I used Utube. and depending the type of music you enjoy there are lots of instructional books and video.

Any specific areas of music you are interested in? Styles, classical, blues, popular, etc.?

Jimbolin
Aug-16-2013, 6:15pm
Lots of stuff on the internet...It can play anything you can play on a standard mandolin. For some interesting stuff google "Ragtime Skedaddlers". some fine mando and banjo mandolin. Ragtime is one of its authentic usages. When I was learning I used Utube. and depending the type of music you enjoy there are lots of instructional books and video.

Any specific areas of music you are interested in? Styles, classical, blues, popular, etc.?

"Ragtime Skedaddlers" are a lot of fun. Dennis Pash is one of the few people I see playing the banjo mandolin. I hadn't thought of trying to play rags, but they are perfect. I would like to play some blues, Irish and old timey type tunes. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!