PDA

View Full Version : Mike Compton House Concert, Sept. 27th, Northern California

Curt Palm
Aug-15-2013, 2:34pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm both excited and nervous because I just signed up to host a house concert for Mike Compton on Sept. 27th in Eldorado Hills, CA, just east of Sacramento and west of Placerville. I've never hosted a concert before so I don't know quite what to expect, but I want to get the word out so we can have a good turnout for Mike. There is also a possibility that Mike might be available around that time for some private lessons. If you want to make a reservation for the concert, PM me and I'll get you set up.

I think most regular Mandolin Cafe members are quite familiar with Mike's playing, but if not, he plays with the Nashville Bluegrass Band, played with John Hartford while John was alive, recently toured with Elvis Costello, and played on the "Oh Brother: Where art Thou" soundtrack. He's also done a lot of old timey stuff with Joe Newberry and others, and in addition, he's a genuine nice guy and a funny entertainer. Oh, and he might know something about Monroe-style Mandolin.

No financial involvement for me, I just wanted to share my excitement and let everyone know he's coming to town. I'll keep everyone posted.:)

Perry Babasin
Aug-15-2013, 3:52pm
Cool! On Saturday we're going to see the Greencards at a house concert in Fairoaks. This sounds great I would definitely like to see Mike, I'll have to check our schedule and get back to you... it has been a crazy busy summer, and my social director is the keeper of the calendar, ha,ha,ha. House concerts are amazing!

Toycona
Aug-15-2013, 3:58pm
I too will be hosting two house concerts featuring Mike Compton. Please use the contact information below to reserve your seat. (Suggested donation $20)

Saturday, 9/28 (7 PM) San Mateo, CA For Reservations: peninsulabluegrasscrossing@gmail.com

Sunday, 9/29 (3 PM) Morgan Hill, CA For Reservations: mblas@charter.net

Curt Palm
Aug-15-2013, 4:54pm
Bay Area people: if you can't make it San Mateo, Mike is well worth the drive to El Dorado Hills.

Pete Martin
Aug-15-2013, 5:39pm
Mike is well worth the drive to El Dorado Hills.

Mike is well with the drive ANYWHERE!!!

shortymack
Aug-15-2013, 5:47pm
I wish there was one in So Cal, sounds like a great time.

Gregory Tidwell
Aug-15-2013, 8:00pm
Fantastic! Right around my birthday, too. Now I can show the wife how these things are supposed to be played.

Jim Ferguson
Aug-15-2013, 8:52pm
Man 'o man........would love to have Mike come up to OR.
how did you (or anyone) go about scheduling such a concert Curt??? I looked at Mike's web page & saw only the contact link for a message but no specifics re: booking him.
Peace,

Clement Barrera-Ng
Aug-16-2013, 12:53am
Bumped to see that Mike isn't making his way down to SoCal.... but am seriously considering driving up to San Mateo and also the workshop in Palo Alto that day.... I think I have some vacation days saved up :)

Curt Palm
Sep-03-2013, 7:19pm
I thought I'd bump this thread to keep everyone informed. The house concert will definitely be at my house and not at the clubhouse in my subdivision at 7:30 on the 27th. If you'd like, please bring a dessert to share and I'll have some drinks on hand. Would anyone be interested in coming early with their mandolins and have a mandolin tasting?

I think I have about 20 people coming as of today, but I'd like to get another 10 or 15, or more, if I can. See you on the 27th!