PDA

View Full Version : My Very First Mandolin...and First Instrument, Ever

Tommy Berry
Aug-15-2013, 3:38am
My Very First Mandolin...and First Instrument, Ever!

In the morning...at 7:30ish...I get to pick up my first mandolin, I'm a bit excited! It also happens to be my first ever, instrument that I will...without a doubt, try to play. I've always wanted one, wanted to learn...wondered if I "could"...well, the wondering stopped...because of many of you here at MC, read about that here: Am I Too Old... (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?98023-Am-I-Too-Old-To-Start-Playing-An-Instrument-Now).

Now, I've read some reviews on what I'm buying. I know what I'm getting is not that "great" as far as mandolins go, but it will be my first, to help get my feet wet...and I'm sure I will move on to something else if and when I can.

I won this on a local Facebook Auction site that I run for "men", "...Man Cave Auctions". We have all sorts of stuff up for auction from anyone that's a local member of the page, motorcycles, guns, man cave decor, tools, and even musical instruments at times. Well, today I won this mandolin...after a bit of a bidding war, w/in the last two minutes..at only $75! It includes a hard, fitted case and some sort of Instructional DVD set (of which I do not know what it is at this point). I feel it's a pretty good deal for the money...?

Without further ado, here's what I've won/purchased: a "Bean Blossom" BM4A Electric Mandolin by Morgan Monroe. And, here's an actual photo from the auction of my mandolin:

More info, details...and stories to come "here", once I've picked it up in the morning...in only about 4 hours! :mandosmiley:

Michael Bridges
Aug-15-2013, 4:24am
Congrats on winning your auction, and welcome to the insanity! Not familiar with the Bean Blossom, but I do really like my MM Mdm-2. I'm sure you've already noticed, but the most important thing I can suggest is, setup is critical! It really does make a huge difference in how an instrument plays and sounds, and could be a big factor in you deciding to stick with it or chuck it into a dumpster and taking up birdwatching! Check around to see if you have someone local who can do a proper mandolin setup, or check out Rob Meldrum's excellent Ebook on the subject. He really does a good job explaining what needs to be done and how to do it. Free to Cafe members if you email him at rob.meldrum@gmail.com. Worth reading, even if you don't want to DIY, just to have an idea on what you'd need to have your luthier do.
Hope you enjoy your new journey. You're in the right place for any questions that come up, the folks here have just about seen it all, and are really helpful. Above all, remember to Have Fun!

Randi Gormley
Aug-15-2013, 8:20am
Hey, congrats!

Tommy Berry
Aug-15-2013, 8:38am
Congrats on winning your auction, and welcome to the insanity! Not familiar with the Bean Blossom, but I do really like my MM Mdm-2. I'm sure you've already noticed, but the most important thing I can suggest is, setup is critical! It really does make a huge difference in how an instrument plays and sounds, and could be a big factor in you deciding to stick with it or chuck it into a dumpster and taking up birdwatching! Check around to see if you have someone local who can do a proper mandolin setup, or check out Rob Meldrum's excellent Ebook on the subject. He really does a good job explaining what needs to be done and how to do it. Free to Cafe members if you email him at rob.meldrum@gmail.com. Worth reading, even if you don't want to DIY, just to have an idea on what you'd need to have your luthier do.
Hope you enjoy your new journey. You're in the right place for any questions that come up, the folks here have just about seen it all, and are really helpful. Above all, remember to Have Fun!

Thank you, very much! I will email Mr Meldrum now...and see what happens, as I do want to set it up right. With my new mandolin being a previously used instrument, I won't touch it...or begin to play it until I've set it up correctly. Besides, if I'm going to do this...and try and do it right, I feel I should be able to set it up myself...right? LOL!

Again...thank you, and I'm looking forward to the journey!

--- --- --- ---

Well, I've picked up mandolin this morning...as scheduled! She's a beauty, to me! The seller forgot to bring the book(s) and DVD(s), but since I know the guy...he'll mail them to me or possibly meet me again to get them to me. A bummer that I don't have them now...but now it's off to the WWW (and here) to seek where to begin...on a budget, with no former instrument experience...after first, setting it up correctly!

Michael Bridges
Aug-15-2013, 11:20am
Nah,man. Go ahead and start playin' that thing! With it being "pre-owned", it may be setup O.K. Never know til you try it.

Happy Pickin'!;

Tommy Berry
Aug-15-2013, 12:03pm
The couple that did own it, the lady also plays the guitar...they are in the "music scene" in their church...so i would assume it was set up when she got it...but it has not been touched for years.

I'm sure I'll make some "NOISE" on it tonight...LATE...out in my shop!

Tommy Berry
Aug-16-2013, 8:47am
I stopped by a music store yesterday after work, to pick up some picks. They did not have what I needed and I needed to get on home (they mainly serve high school bands, apparently...and all of the "good" stores were on the other side of town).

But, I find myself doing what many seem to do...spending a lot of time and effort looking into what kind of pick, style, thickness, etc. to get for myself to start...hopefully, today I will just order one or two inexpensive ones and be done with it!

On the book and DVD that came with my mandolin, I met the guy and picked that up this morning. I had no idea what I was to get, but it is just the following: Lickety Split Mandolin (True Beginner Book with DVD) by Anna Uptain Denison...looks to be the freebie that came with it from "The Mandolin Hut".

Thank you ALL...again, for your encouragement...help...and assistance!

Barry Wilson
Aug-16-2013, 9:00pm
pick choice is like deciding what kind of car to drive. a lighter pick will feel easier to work with at first for strumming and such, then a heavier pick when you get to the fancier and faster stuff.

good job. enjoy your new toy. I know I will never be great, but it doesn't stop me from having fun

Tommy Berry
Aug-19-2013, 3:45pm
OK...I just ordered me a few things to try as I begin to learn the mandolin...a few things that, after reading the forum and gaining knowledge from you fine folks, I felt I needed or should have on hand...and good book, to use along with youtube and hopefully, some soon to be private lessons for ensuring that I'm not doing anything improper...and here they are:

3 - Jim Dunlop Americana Large Triangle picks
2 - DUNLOP BIG STUBBY flat picks
2 - DUNLOP TRI STUBBY flat picks
1 - FENDER 346 flat pick
1 - GRISMAN "DAWG" PICK II (or whenever it comes back into stock!)
2 - Black WEGEN TF140B picks
1 - SAGA GOLDEN GATE flat pick

1 - brown cowhide/leather strap
1 - PLANET WAVES PEG WINDER
2 - J74 D'ADDARIO J74 PHOSPHOR BRONZE WOUND MANDOLIN STRINGS
1 - PLANET WAVES by D'ADDARIO NS MICRO HEADSTOCK TUNER

And, Bluegrass Mandolin for the Complete Ignoramus! instruction book by Wayne Erbsenby & CD

Thank you ALL for your help!!!

cayuga red
Aug-19-2013, 6:10pm
Good luck to you sir.

mmcadory
Aug-19-2013, 8:55pm
Congrats on the new axe. Pick size/shape/thickness and string gauges are the easier and cheaper things to experiment with for changing your sound and comfort. Don't get caught up in the gear. No pick or string or widget or gizmo or book or dvd will make you a better player by itself. Just blood sweat tears blisters and callouses.

Remember to change your strings fairly often relative to your playing, like the oil in your vehicle. Keep some spares strings and picks handy.

If there is a shop in town with a qualified Mando tech, get a set up/tune up after you've played a few months. It's worth the time and money. If you are handy you can learn to set one up yourself, but you can also hork one up pretty thoroughly too so caveat lector.

One spoonful of dirt a day and before long you will move the mountain>>Practice a little each day(little is relative for you -- could be 30m could be 3h). Set some short term(a song, a technique, a progression) and long term goals(join a band, form a band, record an album, write an album).

Find a teacher to help you realize your goals, long and short term, and he or she doesn't have to be a formal one-on-one for pay type deal, but those are usually the most plentiful.

Find a group of pickers in your area to stretch your horizons and help to inspire and teach you.

Find a player(living, dead, local, tv/radio/cd/whatnot) to make a role model of and imitate the heck out of him or her.

Search. Copy. Learn. Imitate. Create. Innovate. Obsess. Play. Play. Play. PLAY!

Books on technique or player tab books only got me so far. I found I preferred books on theory or fakebook songbooks. I also find learning an exact replication to be major boring stuff, but learn the chords and jam, and I'm in. Music lives in the act of performance (stage/parking lot/lakeside/fireside/driveway) for me. That's not to say playing alone in the garage and running scales arpeggios and chords isn't fun fun fun, but for me, two or more together is where it's always been the most fun.

Point is find where music lives for you. Figure out what's fun and "make ye a joyful noise..."

Good luck.:mandosmiley: You've taken the first step on a journey for your lifetime.

Tommy Berry
Aug-26-2013, 12:12pm
Everything has come in...except my strap! As soon as I get my strap, to me an important piece so that I hold the mando correctly and do not forma my bad habits up front, I'll set a schedule and begin my practicing...I can NOT wait!!!

JeffD
Aug-26-2013, 12:18pm
In support of my blog article (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?541-How-much-should-I-spend-on-a-mandolin)I offer into evidence exhibit one:

OK...I just ordered me a few things to try as I begin to learn the mandolin...a few things that, after reading the forum and gaining knowledge from you fine folks, I felt I needed or should have on hand...and good book, to use along with youtube and hopefully, some soon to be private lessons for ensuring that I'm not doing anything improper...and here they are:

3 - Jim Dunlop Americana Large Triangle picks
2 - DUNLOP BIG STUBBY flat picks
2 - DUNLOP TRI STUBBY flat picks
1 - FENDER 346 flat pick
1 - GRISMAN "DAWG" PICK II (or whenever it comes back into stock!)
2 - Black WEGEN TF140B picks
1 - SAGA GOLDEN GATE flat pick

1 - brown cowhide/leather strap
1 - PLANET WAVES PEG WINDER
2 - J74 D'ADDARIO J74 PHOSPHOR BRONZE WOUND MANDOLIN STRINGS
1 - PLANET WAVES by D'ADDARIO NS MICRO HEADSTOCK TUNER

And, Bluegrass Mandolin for the Complete Ignoramus! instruction book by Wayne Erbsenby & CD

Thank you ALL for your help!!!

Winning a mandolin is like winning a free puppy. :)

Tommy Berry
Aug-26-2013, 12:43pm
In support of my blog article (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?541-How-much-should-I-spend-on-a-mandolin)I offer into evidence exhibit one:

Interesting blog...great read...and exactly right! I did exactly what I had to do...at the time, to get a mandolin. Then, a week later, a little unexpected tug boat came in allowing me to get a few things I needed/wanted to accompany the "auction prize", so I ordered...and am excited to play with my new puppy!

Tobin
Aug-26-2013, 12:58pm

Heh, that's like the old saying, "there's no such thing as a free horse". The horse itself is the least expensive part of it! Then comes hay, grain, shoeing, fence work to keep it in, oh, and all the saddles and tack ya gotta buy. Pretty soon, you've spent thousands of dollars on that "free" horse!

Thankfully, mandolins aren't quite that upside-down on the care and feeding costs. But even a budget mandolin can quickly rack up the expenses on "stuff I just gotta have". :)

Good luck on your journey, BigHossCCF.

Paul Busman
Aug-27-2013, 6:25pm
Good luck with your new mandolin. You have no idea how much joy and satisfaction you are going to have by playing your own music, whatever the instrument. Be patient and you'll do fine.
BTW-- those Dunlop large triangles are my favorite picks.

bmac
Aug-27-2013, 8:22pm
You probably should buy a few sets of strings...
I would suggest for the beginner that medium thickness strings are good for starting out... I have actually cut my fingers with thin strings before I developed good calouses.

several sets of whatever thickness strings you buy is a really good idea because you will be surprised how easy it is to break an a or an e string. If the seller sells singles then I would also get maybe 5 single e strings.