PDA

View Full Version : Martin Backpacker mando woes...

Nester
Aug-13-2013, 11:23pm
I have been playing Mandolin since 2005. I have owned a Weber Yellowstone (I sold it but man do I miss it) and currently have a Kentucky 805. I recently purchased a Martin Backpacker mandolin. I have owned a Martin Backpacker guitar for awhile, and I love it. It sounds great for what it is, and travels on trips with me well. I bought the Backpacker mando on a whim. Is there any way to make it sound better? I don't expect it to sound as good as a full size mando, but my particular one sounds worse than other backpacker mando's i've heard. It seems real tingy sounding. Would a new tailpiece or bridge help? Perhaps move the bridge? I have searched all over the internet but have found nothing on the proper way to set one of these little critters up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, and God bless!
John

Paul Busman
Aug-14-2013, 5:09am
I'm guessing that there's not a whole lot you can do. That tiny body and sound board can't be very resonant.

phiddlepicker
Aug-14-2013, 6:49am
I have two. I was going to med school overseas and the backbackers kept me sane. Unfortunately, one got a crack which seems stable, but I got another one to be sure I would have one to play.....replaced the tuners on both which helped immediately.

Other easy things that improved the sound was using good strings (elixirs) and a Blue chip pick...the CT 55 suddenly gave the strings a more woody sound with pop....no, not like a Master Model, but a very instant improvement. Have a few beers and it gets even better.

JEStanek
Aug-14-2013, 7:35am
Change the strings. Here's a thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?50836-Strings-for-a-Martin-Backpacker-mandolin)recommending lighter weight strings. The bridge on it should be positioned like any other mandolin bridge.

Jamie

Nester
Aug-14-2013, 12:49pm
Ok I had a few extra sets of the bill monroe signature series Gibson strings so I put those on it. It helped a lot. I have tried moving the bridge back closer to where it should be (mid F-hole) but its still kind of thingy on the D string. The tuners suck so bad on this thing. What kind would you recommend replacing them with? I can see how that would make it better. Any more tips? Thanks for all the help!
John

Bill Snyder
Aug-14-2013, 4:06pm
The bridge needs to be placed where the mandolin intonates properly. There is only one place it will play "in tune". Put the bridge there.

phiddlepicker
Aug-14-2013, 4:32pm
What kind would you recommend replacing them with? I can see how that would make it better. Any more tips? Thanks for all the help!
John

I got golden age tuners from elderly ($70+/-) they were direct replacements, no drilling, filling, mussing or fussing.

allenhopkins
Aug-15-2013, 12:12am
No matter how you massage a sow's ear, it won't morph into a silk purse.

Backpacker mandolins were an idea whose time never came. What, mandolins are too big? I'd accept the Backpacker for what it is -- a pretty bad idea, no matter whose prestigious name is on it -- and do the minimum, like correctly positioning the bridge.

Not sure I know what a "tingy" or "thingy" sound is, but I assume you mean thin. Not much depth, resonance, lower overtones, etc.? Well, that little sucker was designed to sound "tingy," or whatever, and it will do just that.

Someone once described ocean yacht racing as "Like standing fully-clothed in a cold shower, tearing up hundred-dollar bills." Improving Backpacker mandolins could be analogous, though without the cold shower, and you're probably only tearing up twenties.

Anyway, just my 2¢.

roysboy
Aug-15-2013, 1:10am
]No matter how you massage a sow's ear, it won't morph into a silk purse.

Agree . I've heard several of these backpacker mandos and they seem like a recipe for frustration when it comes to playability and tone . Like playing a telecaster unplugged and hoping to hear a D28 . Save your $$$ for a KM 150 and a bigger backpack .

mandroid
Aug-15-2013, 2:00am
pick of the Litter.., another puppy or kitten might be better?

My M BP was OK old it to someone going to South America.

Tom Coletti
Aug-16-2013, 1:58am
Martin Backpackers are a tricky lot, but from the two that I've played, there are a few ways that you can coax some different sounds out of them. If I remember correctly, I adjusted my right hand so that I played closer to the neck and I held the pick (a thick one with a smooth, beveled edge) at an angle of about thirty degrees or so rather than parallel to the strings. This made them less metallic and gave them a bit of a better tone. Still really quiet and trebly, but a bit sweeter and not as harsh. I'm not sure if this will drastically improve your experiences with the backpacker, but there are other alternatives for travel mandos. Red Line makes a nice model...

--Tom

belbein
Aug-16-2013, 8:44am
I don't agree with the criticism of travel mando's that runs "mandos are already small, why do you need something smaller?" If you're putting them in your Mega SUV, sure. If you're putting them in the overhead compartment, maybe. But if you're packing them on the Appalachian trail or putting them in your panniers for a cross-country cycling trip? That reduction in size is critical, and the reduced resonance is an acceptable trade off. The objections to these instruments remind me of another thread where someone trashed two part epoxy because it's misused by people who don't know what they're doing: you can't blame the backpacker mandos because they don't sound like a teens oval-hole Gibson made for the concert hall.

belbein
Aug-16-2013, 8:45am
tearing up hundred-dollar bills."

Showin' your age, dude. More like standing in a cold shower tearing up million dollar bills.

Nester
Aug-17-2013, 9:40pm
Yeah I am not looking to make it sound like my Gibson or anything, and I really dont need to save up for a KM 150. I bought this one on a whim and it works great on my business travels. And as far as Allenhopkins comment, i meant metallic sounding by tingy. Of course it is going to sound thin and have a different sound. I think I'll just have it set up by someone who might can make it better. Thanks for all the input! It is much appreciated. I'm still looking for a Weber sweet pea as well. I have heard it is the better travel mandolin.

phiddlepicker
Aug-18-2013, 10:22am
I'm still looking for a Weber sweet pea as well. I have heard it is the better travel mandolin.

I think you're correct about them generally sounding better....sweet peas aren't easy to find either. I was looking for one when I got the backpacker. Sweet Peas also tend to cost significantly more when you do find them and really aren't must smaller than an A style mandolin. An alternative might be to get a pickup and a pignose or a headphone amp. I use the headphone amp with my Fender solidbody violin when I take that to places that I want to play without disturbing anyone.