PDA

View Full Version : What forum for getting help in setting the price of a mando?

CeeCee_C
Aug-12-2013, 3:36pm
I know that many forums have rules about where it's appropriate to discuss an instrument that one wants to sell. I need to set a price on an instrument that I'd like to have a good home.

Is this the place?

joemcg
Aug-12-2013, 5:26pm
I can relate CeeCee. I recently became entranced by the mandolin. Although I've owned one for a while I jut became serious about learning it in January. As a male that led to a case of MAS (I understand this doesn't happen as often to the females of the species.) in any case, it's led to a series of acquisions and subsequent disposals.

Some sort of price guide for used instruments would be great, or at least some archival info on prices asked in the past. In my other hobby (ham radio) there is such a resource. A site called eham.net has a classifieds section and you can search over previously listed equipment. It is super handy in establishing a reasonable asking price.

I don't know of any such resource for mandolins. Oh we'll maybe it's an opportunity for my retirement years :confused:

Joe

ccarter
Aug-12-2013, 5:37pm
It's not very "scientific" but what I do for almost anything I am selling is to take a look at both Ebay and Craigslist. By doing searches on those two sites, I am usually able to get a ballpark figure for selling. Right now, I am trying to sell two Eastman Mandolins and two computers. It really helps to take a look at those sources to see what the market is bearing right now. Sometimes, I am pleasantly surprised that the market is better than I thought on certain items.
Good luck.

I can relate CeeCee. I recently became entranced by the mandolin. Although I've owned one for a while I jut became serious about learning it in January. As a male that led to a case of MAS (I understand this doesn't happen as often to the females of the species.) in any case, it's led to a series of acquisions and subsequent disposals.

Some sort of price guide for used instruments would be great, or at least some archival info on prices asked in the past. In my other hobby (ham radio) there is such a resource. A site called eham.net has a classifieds section and you can search over previously listed equipment. It is super handy in establishing a reasonable asking price.

I don't know of any such resource for mandolins. Oh we'll maybe it's an opportunity for my retirement years :confused:

Joe

Mike Arakelian
Aug-12-2013, 7:01pm
I agree with ccarter about EBay. I haven't found anything but low end mandolins in my area on Craig's List, so I don't use that so much. I do watch the classified listings here almost every day, and I've gotten a handle on various prices for instruments that I might be interested in. I'll often use the advanced search feature for a specific brand or model. I'll add that watching the classifieds here can be dangerous. I've been seriously tempted more than once :mandosmiley:.

CeeCee_C
Aug-12-2013, 7:38pm
Interestingly, i also have an Eastman to sell. Ebay has nothing comparable against which to compare.

It's a balancing act. A new 315 can be had for around $650.

Mine is almost new and comes with a hard case and twin K&K pickups.

In addition, it's got a cast Allen tailpiece (more rigid than the stock item) and Grover tuners taken off of a Weber.

Plus it was set up by one of the best luthiers in the country.

And for all that, I'm inclined to think that nobody would pay more for it than the cost of a new one, no matter how much better this one might be.

Is that a reasonable assumption to make?

I'd ask my dealer of choice to sell it for me but he's already got my 815 on consignment and has 315s of his own to sell.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Aug-12-2013, 8:10pm
I usually use the Cafe and Ebay as a yardstick when trying to set a price for a used mandolin. There are some 'official' pricing guides out there such as the Gruhn's Vintage Instrument guide, but often times the prices listed are closer to 'appraisal' value than actual sale value on the open market.

I don't think there is a problem with asking the forum for input on what the community thinks the price should be. I believe I've seen similar threads before.

As for your 315 - given all the upgrades, and assuming it's in very good to excellent condition, I would assume you can list it for over the price of a new one. Having said that, keep it mind also that no every buyer is going to want a pickup (and whatever upgrade one may have), and may not be easily persuaded to pay the extra money for one. Again, it's a delicate balancing act when selling mandolins with upgrades and/or customization. In my experience, I've found that I don't normally manage to recoup what I pay for in upgrades, but YMMV.

And lastly - forget consignment if the instrument is already set up and ready to go to the new owner. Unless the dealer also list the instrument with varies websites and online marketplace, your instrument is going to get more eyeballs in an hour than it would sitting in a store for a week.

multidon
Aug-12-2013, 8:21pm
Cee Cee the general rule is around 30 percent off what you paid for it or what you can get a new one for. Thus your 315 would be fairly priced at somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 or so. That would be in the excellent plus condition you describe. Instruments in rougher shape have to be discounted accordingly. Generally you have to eat upgrades like tailpieces and tuners. Likewise the set up adds no value but could be a selling point. The pick up if professionally installed may add a little value maybe another 50. As I say these are general guidelines. Most instruments depreciate in value. The exceptions of course are collectables like Gibson Lyon and Healy etc. Nobody likes hearing this. Naturally everyone would love to get all their money out of it but that almost never happens. This is a good case for buying used. When you sell to the third owner you can often get back most if not all because the depreciation has already happened. Its an awful lot like cars isn't it? As for the right forum for this discussion this is as good as any but maybe Information About Mandolins would be good too? Some might say to put it on eBay with no reserve. Then you will know the true value. Because even in spite of my general rule above there are exceptions and the true value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it

bmac
Aug-12-2013, 8:47pm
"And for all that, I'm inclined to think that nobody would pay more for it than the cost of a new one, no matter how much better this one might be.

Is that a reasonable assumption to make?"

Yes. You are likely going to take a hit. I would forget the upgrades you made. Most folks don't care and some wouldn't regard them as upgrades at all. Any new instrument drops roughly 25 percent in value as you walk out the door with it. Many buyers don't care about a case. By selling it yourself you are competing with dealers but you cannot offer the same kind of guarentee the instrument as a dealer will normally do. Anyone who will deal with you is looking for a bargain so you likely have to give them one to make the sale.

It is fairly easy to get a sense of prices on used instruments by watching eBay for a few months. The prices you see there are likely as low as they are going to go. Only count an instrument which actually sells at auction on ebay.

But mainly, Don't expect to get dealer prices. unless you are really lucky that won't happen.

ccarter
Aug-12-2013, 8:47pm
This is a really good discussion. My other thoughts, along with the ones I expressed above, are that I never really expect to recoup the full price of anything that I buy and then use. I mean, after all, why would anyone buy something used (other than the really special and exceptional instruments out there) for the same price they could get it new and probably in better condition. That's not to say that the item was not upgraded or kept in great condition, either.
For me, it's similar to what I hear about home renovations. If you want a new kitchen for yourself, then do it and enjoy it. If you're looking to get a new kitchen just to be able to ask more for your house if selling, then you may be disappointed as the buyer may not care about it or like it. So upgrade or buy something because you WANT to and will enjoy the result. At some point, you may want to move on or sell, that's great and you have something worthwhile to sell. Just maybe not at the same price you started. But, hopefully, you enjoyed the kitchen or mandolin or whatever and that is worth something, too.
I take really good care of my things whether it's an instrument or something else. So, while I would never ask for the full price that I paid, I do ask for a reasonable price if it's in good condition. Someone mentioned 30% off and perhaps that's a good place to start. I suspect it could be a little up or down from that depending upon the condition. It's the difference in there that's always difficult.
Good luck with this...and please wish me good luck, too. I hope I haven't over thought things. You'll be seeing my mandos in the classifieds soon :)
And perhaps, CeeCee, I should contact you about yours :)

fatt-dad
Aug-12-2013, 9:04pm
take what you can get and chalk up the loss to tuition. I completely agree with multidon. Folks like to buy things and fuss with them. to the purchaser, they may change the tailpiece and such also. The price is for the bones with few exceptions (i.e., like the pickups).

I know these things 'cause I've already taken the class.

f-d

CeeCee_C
Aug-12-2013, 9:24pm
Thank you all for the sage counsel.

I will say that I was never under any illusions about the 315 appreciating in value. I was more interested in the feedback about the value of the changes I made. And I'm not all surprised to hear that, apart, from the pickup, they don't make a difference.

I'd be happy with $450 to $500, which is far more than I'd get if I left it where it is, unplayed and unsold.

And the spousal unit will be shocked that I actually got rid of something. And I'm not getting rid of shoes!

MikeEdgerton
Aug-12-2013, 10:25pm
The only way that upgrading seems to add anything to the end value of a mandolin goes like this. If you buy a $50.00 Rogue mandolin and you put a set of Waverly Tuners (say $450.00) and a James tailpiece (say $150.00) on it then the value of the mandolin will be more than the $50.00 you paid for it. How much more is dependent on how crazy the buyer is. Upgrade to enjoy your instrument.

allenhopkins
Aug-13-2013, 11:03am
I would also look at dealer prices for comparable used instruments, as well as auction-site actual sale prices.

A dealer will, as a rough rule, pay about 60% for a used instrument, of what he/she tries to sell it for -- or will allow that much on a trade-in. So, if the dealer plans to list the used mandolin at $1K, you can get $600 from him/her. What I would try to get in a private sale would be somewhere between $600 and $1K.

If there are a lot of used instruments of a particular type being sold by dealers, one can get at least a feel for the "going market price." Listings on eBay are complicated by the inexperience of sellers, and in some cases the inexperience of buyers. The Cafe frequently lists unrealistic eBay and CraigsList asking prices.

Dealers are experienced (well, generally) with the used-instrument marketplace. Some are fairly well-known for "high-ball" asking prices, but I find perusing websites of John Bernunzio, Gruhn, Elderly Instruments, Mandolin Brothers, Players Vintage Instruments, The Parlor et. al. gives me some feeling for the general market.

lenf12
Aug-13-2013, 12:12pm
The upgrades you have made are not irreversible. Take off the tuners, tailpiece and the pickup (if it's not glued in place) and save them for your next mandolin. Make the mandolin as close as possible to "original" condition. You should feel a bit better about getting ~ $450 from the sale. At this point, the strategy is to minimize your loss, not rationalize it.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

CeeCee_C
Aug-13-2013, 12:51pm
Len -

Good advice but part of the deal for installation was that the luthier would keep the take-off parts. And the pickups would be difficult to remove as they're held to the back of the soundboard by incredibly aggressive two sided adhesive.

So it's going to be "as-is" in every respect.

Finally. my question created so much discussion that I took it out of its case and played it... Now I'm not sure...

I was and still am sure about selling the 815. As I was telling another Cafe member, it seems ridiculous that this 315 should sound better than an 815, but it really *does*. And both instruments were set up by the same luthier.

Bob Clark
Aug-13-2013, 1:37pm
...it seems ridiculous that this 315 should sound better than an 815, but it really *does*. And both instruments were set up by the same luthier.

I believe you CeeCee, and it's further evidence that mandolins are individuals and have to be evaluated as such. I think it's kind of cool that you prefer the 315. Why not keep it? After all, what's the problem with having just one more?

Best wishes, Bob

shortymack
Aug-13-2013, 1:41pm
I was and still am sure about selling the 815. As I was telling another Cafe member, it seems ridiculous that this 315 should sound better than an 815, but it really *does*. And both instruments were set up by the same luthier.

Yep the 315's aren't and entry level mando at all like they are billed as being. They got something special going on with them IMO. If it was me I would sell the 815 and keep the 315 for now, especially if it will bring you more cash to offset the recent purchase. That way you have a relatively inexpensive (compared to your others) good sounding mando to use as your beater if need be. JM2C.

shortymack
Aug-13-2013, 1:45pm
I believe you CeeCee, and it's further evidence that mandolins are individuals and have to be evaluated as such. I think it's kind of cool that you prefer the 315.

Best wishes, Bob

Im not sure this is a one time thing, many people say they are a great sounding mando as a whole. When I recently had a chance to play a MF5 while it was better for sure, my 315 wasn't THAT far behind, at least tone wise IMHO. Definitely not 5K better for this struggling artists taste. Not to say that I wouldn't love to have the Collings but I think Id rather obtain one of the great builders here F5's or a NF or something else. Different strokes n all.

Good luck cee cee with your decision/sale.

CeeCee_C
Aug-13-2013, 1:57pm
The 815 is on consignment at Acoustic Music in Guilford, CT great guys, great instruments, great service).

George, the luthier there, conjectures that the generally good sound of the 315 may, in large part, be due to the thinness of the finish. The only downside is that 315s marks very easily. I shouldn't care, but I do.

All who've heard this little guy agree that it really does sound exceptionally good. 'Course it got played 2+ hours a day, every day for almost a year. But it sounded good when I got it.

As they say where I grew up "Go figure" (which, when pronounced properly, sounds more like "Go figyuh").

JEStanek
Aug-13-2013, 2:01pm
Your 815 should have a thin finish as well. My 614 had a very thin one that checked in a few spots. They just vary. I have usually given folks the advice on Eastmans if they can play a bunch to get the best sounding one and don't worry about the trim level. Sometimes the best in a group is the less expensive one.

Jamie

CeeCee_C
Aug-13-2013, 2:07pm
Shorty -

The only reason I stopped playing the 315 so much was the arrival of my Collings MF. The MF5 is lovely, but (supposedly) the only difference between the MF and the MF5 is bling. This may or may not be true.

I can tell you that the MF is wondeful and I honestly don't know that the significant price difference between MF and MF5 is warranted - strictly on a sound to sound basis. (Highly subjective statement. Please don't flame me.)

'Course it could also be that I was comparing a great MF against a not so great MF5.

CeeCee_C
Aug-13-2013, 2:15pm
Your 815 should have a thin finish as well. My 614 had a very thin one that checked in a few spots. They just vary. I have usually given folks the advice on Eastmans if they can play a bunch to get the best sounding one and don't worry about the trim level. Sometimes the best in a group is the less expensive one.

Jamie

For whatever reasons, the 315 sounds better than the 815. George's conjecture is just that; conjecture.

And I agree with your last comment wholeheartedly. I passed over a new 515, a used 615 and a The Loar when I bought it.

Capt. E
Aug-13-2013, 2:15pm
As far as your 315 sounding better than the 815, I find that almost normal in my mandolin world experience. I still regularly play an off brand Japanese made A (I think it is an Aria) that cost me all of $150 (the cost counts set-up etc). It really isn't very far from my superb Weber "Bighorn". Sometimes cost doesn't really matter. As mentioned above, if you take a loss on the 315 call it part of your education.
I understand you just bought a Northfield...right?

CeeCee_C
Aug-13-2013, 2:20pm
Capt. E:

Yes, I just bought a Northfield F5-S and I really like it.

The 315 is sitting on its little stand as I write this. I don't know if I'm ready to say g'bye to it.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-13-2013, 2:41pm
I don't know if I'm ready to say g'bye to it.

You should probably know that people admire a woman with a lot of mandolins.

CeeCee_C
Aug-13-2013, 3:10pm
Mike -

Which people are those?

lenf12
Aug-13-2013, 3:35pm
You should probably know that people admire a woman with a lot of mandolins.

People around here at least. CeeCee, I wasn't aware of the arrangement you have with the luthier. Sounds to me like you bought the parts and he installed them for free on the condition that he gets to keep them if you decide to sell the mandolin. If so, that was an expensive installation.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

CeeCee_C
Aug-13-2013, 3:43pm
Len -

I think you misunderstood. The installs were very affordable, to some extent because they kept the parts that came off.

Bob Clark
Aug-13-2013, 4:16pm
Which people are those?

The smart ones.:grin:

lenf12
Aug-14-2013, 11:15am
Len - I think you misunderstood. The installs were very affordable, to some extent because they kept the parts that came off.

Ahhhh, I now see the light.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL