PDA

View Full Version : A Brace of Eastmans

joemcg
Aug-07-2013, 5:00pm
Over the past few days I have been fortunate enough to acquire two new (at least to me) Eastman mandolins. The first is the "F." It is an early model 615 that has been modified. It has a shortened Florida, upgraded Shaller German gold plated tuners, and Randy Wood bridge, large frets. This was my instructor's stage mandolin.

The second is the short scale MD 804V (varnish.) This is the only one in the U.S at least according to Kyle at the Mando Shop and confirmed by Eastman. It has a brilliant tone and deep bass. I am indeed impressed, but still getting use to the neck joining at the 10th fret.

Durn -mandolins can sure be pretty!

Eric Hanson
Aug-07-2013, 5:25pm
How beautiful they are!!
Congratulations to you on your acquisitions. May your time with them be always a pleasure!

RKL
Aug-07-2013, 7:39pm
A beautiful pair of Eastmen.

fatt-dad
Aug-07-2013, 8:55pm
I'm all about the burst on that a model!

f-d

Dave Hanson
Aug-08-2013, 1:30am
The neck joining at the 10th fret is standard for round or oval hole mandolins.

Dave H

joemcg
Aug-08-2013, 7:43am

Dave H
I was curious about that and did a quick tour of the Mandolin Store website. It appeared as if the Eastmans and Webers joined at the 10th but the Breedloves and Laffertys at the 12th. At least that's the way I remember it.

JeffD
Aug-08-2013, 9:23am
Wow wow wow. There is no objective reason you could not be happy for the rest of your life.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Aug-09-2013, 2:31am

I think that is true of all Gibson oval holes as well as those modeled after them, but many of the 'hybrid' oval holes like Weber and Collings have their necks joining at the 12th fret.

Congrats on the new pair Joe. I particularly like the 804v and the sunburst on it looks spectacular. Can't wait to hear how it sound at Summergrass.

rb3868
Aug-09-2013, 8:57pm
Those are lovely. And at least you've got plenty of gray hair. All I have is 1 Eastman 805D and a big old bald spot